BAD filament jam

OK.. So I ran into a little issue tonight. The spool had a tangle in it at the end of a roll causing a "small" problem. The feed gear stripped the filament so I couldn't unload. I heated the machine and removed the entire hot end. No filament to be seen. I removed motor and tried to pull the filament out of the top. It broke. Now I have filament stuck in main X-Y block. The block was extremely hot as the printer was going for about 10 hours. Also noticed when removing the bottom heat sink that it was not tight to the block. The screws were stripped at the ends because they were a little longer than the holes were threaded.. Tried to drill out the filament but the bit is not long enough. Is there a way to remove the motor mount from the the X-Y carriage?? Any suggestions??

Yeesh, reminds me of "A Series of Unfortunate Events." My first try would probably be to clean out as much as I could from either end using the drill bit (with hotend heated), then use a wire to try to push the rest through (a metal coathanger would probably work). If you can push it down some, try just feeding some fresh filament. 

I got it out!!! :D :D Had to let it cool down and pushed a piece of 14-2 copper wire through it with pliers.. The part of the filament that caused the problem filled the hole at 2.25mm .. Strange looking plug..

I keep some 1.6mm "music wire" rods on hand for this, available from McMaster.

I keep some 1.6mm "music wire" rods on hand for this, available from McMaster.

Looking for something similar in central Europe.

Is this material actually a flexible wire or more like a rod?

All I found up to now was stainless steel welding wire. :rolleyes:

"Music wire" is hardened (spring temper) steel wire, but if you buy cut lengths it arrives very straight, with no curvature or "cast". At 0.4mm for nozzle cleaning it feels like wire, but at 1.6mm, it starts to feel like a rod :)

Looking for something similar in central Europe.

Is this material actually a flexible wire or more like a rod?

All I found up to now was stainless steel welding wire. :rolleyes:

Well... I don't know what is "music wire" but actually I use for nozzle cleaning strings intended for Cavaquinho – a Brazilian instrument that could be considered an Ukulele cousin. This is a four strings instrument, the higher strings are stainless steel (0.25, 0.30mm).

You're in Germany, a string instrument certainly isn't a trouble to find.  :)

Also known as "piano wire".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_wire

Also known as "piano wire".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_wire

For your german vocabulary: Klavierdraht

Found it, thanks. :slight_smile:

You're in Germany, a string instrument certainly isn't a trouble to find.  :)

If it is about strings it’s my guess that Rio is the far better place to find them. :slight_smile:

If it is about strings it's my guess that Rio is the far better place to find them. :-)

Naughty thought !

Naughty thought !

<<<<<< is guilty!