Bad Top Surface Layers?

I am having issues on printing the top layers, it just won't seal up the top layers properly. I tried:

1) Clean up the nozzle inside out;

2) Clean up the gear on stepper motor;

3) Increase Infill density from light to medium;

4) Change another spool of filament (both Z-Ultra Gray, and both were printing fine before this);

5) Change to Z-ABS (seals up the top layer, but just barely)

and none of these work, it seems that it either doesn't have enough material pumping through the nozzle or the temperature is not right. Anyone has a solution? Thank you!

I attached the image of the test prints.

Hi,

Do you have the default top layer configuration selected in the advanced settings ? (it used to be 4 in 1.0.2, I do not remember for the others)

What are your software and firmware versions ?

Laurent

Hi,

Do you have the default top layer configuration selected in the advanced settings ? (it used to be 4 in 1.0.2, I do not remember for the others)

What are your software and firmware versions ?

Laurent

Yes, I had the default setting and tried 5 and 6 layers too, also tried to turn the fan on 100%, firmware should be 0.0.6 and software is V 1.3.0, I got the machine last month.

Also Note that this is 0.09mm layer height, it is okay on 0.14 and above, it is just a few particular prints that require to be printed in 0.09mm and it worked great all the time until now.

Do you clean the nozzle with acetone ?

Do you clean the nozzle with acetone ?

I don't have my hands on acetone yet since I just had this problem yesterday, but I did use the 0.4mm diameter metal "rod" that came with the machine to clean it.

I think you should try a complete disassembly-cleaning nozzle with acetone, it seems the flow is slightly insufficient

I'd tighten up the infill for 0.09mm to solid or even full.

6 surface layers as well.

Worth a try before you start pulling your machine apart.

You absolutely need to have acetone on hand.

Try (carefully) wiping the nozzle when it is warm/hot in a twisting motion with paper towel dampened with acetone folded over till it's thick enough that you don't burn yourself until the nozzle is clean.

Wipe the center contact pad of the perfboard as well so you get a good "kickoff" at the start of the print.

I think it's software/settings myself...nothing seems mechanically untoward in your pics.

I'd also just do it in 0.14 myself as well....

Try to make a crisscross pattern or grid inside the part to get better support for the top "plate", or turn it upside down if its supposed to be an open box. The issue here, I think, is that there is too long bridging for the filament strand to cross, and you get deformation.

Also Note that this is 0.09mm layer height, it is okay on 0.14 and above, it is just a few particular prints that require to be printed in 0.09mm and it worked great all the time until now.

Did you slice it with 1.3 or used an older software also (if so try the older one again, just to be sure).

Could be too high temp or humidity in filament too.

What i do not get is why that part has to be printed with .09 if .14 works good, but you know better.

Didn't u forget to set proper material option Z-UltraT/Z-ABS in Z-Suite option?

Are your top and bottom fans running?

Are your top and bottom fans running?

Yes, they are both running

Didn't u forget to set proper material option Z-UltraT/Z-ABS in Z-Suite option?

No, I got the correct setting, I even tried to intentionally set it to ABS for ultra and see if that changes anything, but still no luck.

Did you slice it with 1.3 or used an older software also (if so try the older one again, just to be sure).

Could be too high temp or humidity in filament too.

What i do not get is why that part has to be printed with .09 if .14 works good, but you know better.

Try to make a crisscross pattern or grid inside the part to get better support for the top "plate", or turn it upside down if its supposed to be an open box. The issue here, I think, is that there is too long bridging for the filament strand to cross, and you get deformation.

What bothers me most is that I've been printing with 0.09mm on light pattern setting for weeks, and it worked just fine, but this few days it just not working at all, and now it's getting worse, it won't even seal the top layer, just leaves a bunch of holes.

Yep.. I'm thinking garbage inside the nozzle. When you push the wire through, it might just be pushing it up into the larger part of nozzle. Start printing and it goes right back where it was. Do you have a dust sponge on the filament before it enters the tube? I have had this problem before. Try a new nozzle if you have one on hand. Acetone is the key to cleaning.. (Pure Acetone) 24 hours minimum..

Yep.. I'm thinking garbage inside the nozzle. When you push the wire through, it might just be pushing it up into the larger part of nozzle. Start printing and it goes right back where it was. Do you have a dust sponge on the filament before it enters the tube? I have had this problem before. Try a new nozzle if you have one on hand. Acetone is the key to cleaning.. (Pure Acetone) 24 hours minimum..

I should have said it too.

First thing to do would be remove the nozzle (hot), extrude once with no nozzle in (don't make a mess, scrape it off clean at the end of the tube and wipe clean with acetone/paper), install a new or cleaned nozzle (hot) and extrude again.

I missed the bit about it working fine then changing.

I do have a dusty room, plus that's the only thing I haven't tried anyway. I got a new nozzle on the way, as far as acetone goes, I think I can find some in a lab on campus, I don't feel like having those chemicals in the dorm room, thanks!

Try to remove the nozzle and use a 4mm twist drill in the pipe (hot extruder, use pliers for the twist drill). Pull it in and out till there is no plastic glued to it and it slides freely in the pipe. Remove residue every time. Even if you clean the nozzle there may be residue in the tube. Also use a twist drill (I think it is 4mm too, carefully by hand) in the nozzle to make sure you remove all residue in the bottom of it. The piano wire only cleans the 0.4 mm nozzle hole, not the residue in the 4mm hole.

Acetone doesn't dissolve burnt ABS, so you need to remove it mechanically, or use a small ultrasonic cleaner.