Ball screw trouble

Hi!

From one print to another my ball screw suddenly makes noises… :frowning:

I hope the video link works.

Video

its really hard to pinpoint…

Any ideas?

Thanks!

You didn’t tighten the nuts on the screw bed plate did you? That sounds like something different though…

Someone else had a piece break at the bottom where the Z screw goes down into the base. I think there’s a topic about it but I’m not sure where…

It come from flexible coupler at bending point I think this is not noticeable at print time, only at homing or at rare case when someone try to rotate it by hand.

If you start to see strange Z strings on the print then problem exist.

Very brave to touching ball screw using hands - following Quick Start manual - “Never touch any mechanical parts - ball screw, smooth rods etc. using hands, please wear gloves” reason of it you will se after 1-2 months, PH of your hands in long terms = acid for mechanical parts.

Best Regards

Look at the coupler at the bottom of screw. Make sure the coupler didn’t break.

OK… You guys were right! It was the coupler! It’s not broken… it was the windings rubbing on each other. I loosened the set screws, moved the visible coupler end a tiny bit up and down to take the tension out and retightened the set screws. Now the noise is gone.

Thanks for the remark with the hands, martin. I will clean the screw now and the put a little grease on it (with gloves on this time :wink: )

Thanks for your help!!! :smiley:

Perfect!!!

[quote name=Andre]I loosened the set screws, moved the visible coupler end a tiny bit up and down to take the tension out and retightened the set screws. Now the noise is gone.

[/quote]

I thought this noise sometimes must to be but looks as your solution can solve it quickly. Good to know this in future.

Best Regards