Beginner ?'s

Very much a "newbie" if I might use that term.  Just received my Zortrax printer.  Printed the bearings and it worked. Then went to print items I've created in Autodesk inventor and they are automatically scaled down.  I create, save as stl, import into Z-suite. Very small.  I know it must be a simple fix but am hoping someone will know what "small" thing I'm not doing or doing wrong.

thanks

Ted

Very much a "newbie" if I might use that term.  Just received my Zortrax printer.  Printed the bearings and it worked. Then went to print items I've created in Autodesk inventor and they are automatically scaled down.  I create, save as stl, import into Z-suite. Very small.  I know it must be a simple fix but am hoping someone will know what "small" thing I'm not doing or doing wrong.

thanks

Ted

The parts may have been designed in units of inches, but I think that the ZSuite software assumes the units are millimeters.  If that's the case, the easiest fix is to import the STL into ZSuite and then use the scale icon in ZSuite with the factor 25.4 in the X, Y, and Z boxes.  That will convert the part into the intended size.  I think that there is also a "scale all axis by" input field but can't check that from here.  That would also work.  Make sure that you have the part selected in ZSuite before invoking the scale feature.

Mike

Unfortunately I never used Inventor but in SolidWorks you have an option to save STL file in optional unit. It should be something similar in Inventor. It must be saved in mm-s.

I find it is best to draw in mm to start save a lot of time,  or when you export make shore you export as mm

I hate drawing in mm.. I let DS convert to mm on save.

Kyle,

DS?

Everyone,

I drew on Inventor using Metric and I get the same thing. Converted something from 6 1/8 inches to 157mm in length on Inventor.  After saving as stl, and adding it as a model In the Z-suite window...it shows as 6.2 mm    Not sure where it happens.  This kind of thing is usually something simple...unless you don't know what it is.

Ted

Kyle,

DS?

Hi Ted.. Designspark Mechanical.. It's the downsized free version of Spaceclaim..

Kyle,

DS?

Everyone,

I drew on Inventor using Metric and I get the same thing. Converted something from 6 1/8 inches to 157mm in length on Inventor.  After saving as stl, and adding it as a model In the Z-suite window...it shows as 6.2 mm    Not sure where it happens.  This kind of thing is usually something simple...unless you don't know what it is.

Ted

Hey Ted.. Check this out.. Might help.. http://www.redeyeondemand.com/stl-file-format/ 

It looks like you can select mm on export. I would draw a 1 inch cube (or whatever you normally use "cm") then export STL in mm. See if it comes across in Zsuite as 25.4mm

from my Auto desk Inventor 2015, i cannot find an option to export in a Gcode, it would be nice if the Zortrax software had a preset setting just like the UP! software. ease of use would go way up.

I use Blender and 10.000 blender units equals 10mm in real scale units. Took some testing to figure it out. Every program is different. Zsuite has a resize option that is easy to use and very hepful sometimes. 

I have a note but I cant figure what it means, I believe I was told this on here.

If you export in inches, scale it up in Zsuite 25.4 to get the right size. Or just export STL in mm."

I'm a "newbie" too even thought Ive had my M200 for (I think) a year now and I learn something new everyday. lol

Good luck

I use Blender and 10.000 blender units equals 10mm in real scale units. Took some testing to figure it out. Every program is different. Zsuite has a resize option that is easy to use and very hepful sometimes. 

I have a note but I cant figure what it means, I believe I was told this on here.

If you export in inches, scale it up in Zsuite 25.4 to get the right size. Or just export STL in mm."

I'm a "newbie" too even thought Ive had my M200 for (I think) a year now and I learn something new everyday. lol

Good luck

If you export in inches it thinks value is mm.. 1 inch cube would import to Z-suite as 1mm cube. (25.4mm per inch) Multiply by 25.4 to get it back to inches basically.

I knew it was somethin. haha  It was an old note to myself I just couldnt remember what. Thanks

I knew it was somethin. haha  It was an old note to myself I just couldnt remember what. Thanks

No problem.. I have notes like that.. LOL

je travaille avec inventor 2013 et en mm.

je suis systématiquement obligé de multiplier par 10 sous Z-suite.

j'ai cherché longtemps sans trouver pourquoi !!

Cela ma turlupiné le cerveau, j'ai donc chercher en m'inspirant des dires de @YosemiteSam. (merci)

exporter --> puis choisir STL --> Option

Changé l'unité. La même que celle du dessin (ex: mm -->mm; cm-->cm)

et la sauvegarde sera a 100%.

988383fenetre1.png

Yes I hate drawling in mm too. What I do is export my STL then open it in my other program (simplify3D) that says it seems your part is very small… When I click yes it converts it to mm then I export from that program to STL and I can then open in z suite. Sounds like a lot of work but takes me seconds.