Burnt Component

We had a huge electrical storm last night, and I came out to a printer in sleep mode with a half finished print.

I switched the machine off and on again, and while the display came up normal, I got smoke from the bottom and turned it off.

Opened her up and found this:

[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/azadani/media/012.jpg.html]012.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/azadani/media/013.jpg.html]013.jpg[/URL]

Looks like a voltage regulator, obviously burnt.

Funnily enough the machine still starts up and doesn't smoke now, but I don't want to run it for obvious reasons.

I just want to change this component and get my machine back up and running.

I don't believe a new board is needed, and I'm well capable of soldering the new component in after I clean the melted plastic away. None of the metal on the board as lifted.

Can anyone help me identify the component and give me some simple specs to tell the electronic shop?Ā 

I showed them the board but they said they needed a schematic.

I'm hoping Zortrax will be good sports and help me out here, as I'm out of warranty anyway.

Cheers for any help.

Got some numbers off the thing in case anyone knows what they mean:

81206D 10

GK06D V3

CHN419

Then a circle with a "318" inside it and another circle with two symbols inside it.

Don't know if the zeros are "O's" or "0's"

Great to see Zortrax rushing to my assistance.

Thanks guys.

1 Like

Only thing I found that resembles this is on mouserĀ 

Only thing I found that resembles this is on mouserĀ 

Thank you, that does look close/similar.

Unfortunately, once I took all the melted plastic away the actual board itself is burnt too, so I probably need a new board.

The UPS I'm using was sold to me with an anti surge feature offered, so I've lodged a claim with consumer affairs against the supplier for a replacement (after they refused to help).

Out of warranty you say? It is unlikely Zortrax will be willing to sell you a board or give the schematicsĀ to it, that is just how most manufacturers (not just Zortrax) are about this stuff.Ā 

It is odd that a UPS would allow for the printer to short out in a way that leaves it operable, maybe get the manufacturer to pay for the lost goods?

I wish you good luck on your quest to find a solution to your problem. There is always our lord and Savior opensource boards ;D

-NS

Out of warranty you say? It is unlikely Zortrax will be willing to sell you a board or give the schematicsĀ to it, that is just how most manufacturers (not just Zortrax) are about this stuff.Ā 

It is odd that a UPS would allow for the printer to short out in a way that leaves it operable, maybe get the manufacturer to pay for the lost goods?

I wish you good luck on your quest to find a solution to your problem. There is always our lord and Savior opensource boards ;D

-NS

I sort of agree re schematics (although many manufacturers do publish schematics - just look at any automotive service manual), but surely selling replacement parts, e.g. a motherboard, is not out of the ordinary at all.

In any case, it should be possible for someone with electronics skills to replace this transistor.

you sure it doesnt read as B120 ?

It looks like a ST micro D-pak just like the one next to it.

can you post a more direct pic showing the markings?

It's an STB120NF10.

It's an STB120NF10.

great, i thought it might have been that series IC..

...but is that the only damaged part...

judging from that pic of the backside, it looks like the PCB might have burned thru when the component fried...

im also assuming its a 4layer PCB since the only trace i see from the heatshinking pad goes to that LED at D4

If it is 4layer then the powerplane has to be in one of the inner laters...unfortunately the board would need to be sacrificed and shaved just to map out the inner planes...

The heatsink pad is the drain, which goes to the heater. As long as the vias still connect to the inner planes it should be replaceable I think.

would need to remove it first to inspect how deep the damage is....

maybe even a continuity test might might not be valid enough for this since its possible there is easily enough signal flow from the DMM but is there enough trace existing for power to flow??

that might be the determining factor if this board is can be savede...assuming no other damages to hunt down..

Thanks all.

I do agree that Z shouldn't have to give me their schematics, I probably wouldn't if I were them.

The board is a dealer part, and I have my dealer following it up with them, but it seems they haven't replied to him yet.

I've ordered the part Julia has advised me of, and will just try soldering it in and seeing what happens I guess.

Cheers again.

Ā 

We had a huge electrical storm last night, and I came out to a printer in sleep mode with a half finished print.

Ā 

The UPS I'm using was sold to me with an anti surge feature offered, so I've lodged a claim with consumer affairs against the supplier for a replacement (after they refused to help).

UPS or outlet with power surge protection it's usually only type 3 surge protection. It's verry fast protection (1,2 - 8 us surge rise time), but it works only with small surges and short duration time (up to 50 us, in proportion rise/duration: 1,2/50 us and 8/20 us). It not protect from thunder. More info: SPD.