Cast molding 3D printed parts.

I am thinking about 3D printing a master, creating a mold from the master, and using a thermoset plastic for a short production run.  The parts must be mechanically accurate as they need to fit together, looking for thoughts, experience and recommendations.

I am thinking about 3D printing a master, creating a mold from the master, and using a thermoset plastic for a short production run.  The parts must be mechanically accurate as they need to fit together, looking for thoughts, experience and recommendations.

When you print your master, you will have to account for shrinkage of cast material.. If all your printed parts fit together, the cast ones should. Assuming the shrinkage is constant. I 3D printed a one shot mold that I still need to cast into. Still deciding on which resin to use.

I printed an ABS mold recently and have cast multiple silicone prototypes with it. It works great. I printed the mold in 0.14mm layerheight and didn't even have to sand the parts. The models came out smooth. The accuracy is spot on, the measurements of the casted model are exactly the same as the measurements in the mold. You do need to take some time though to tweak the mold to optimize flow and making sure that all the air can escape. I always place my silliconemixture (two component) in a vacuüm chamber prior to casting btw, to get rid of the air that normally gets trapped inside the mixture. If you don't do that you're likely to get trapped airbubbles in your casts.