Current and future Zortrax print speeds

Actually M-200 have something about 80mm/s of average speed - sometimes faster (infill), sometimes slower (perimeters). It's linear speed, don't forget about acceleration - in practice Zortrax prints faster then other popular machines with higher linear speed rates.

I have to put this statment to the test and printed this part in pic below on Zortrax M200 and my new open source printer. I used Zortrax with 0.19 layers and high speed option. On the open source printer i used 80mm/s print speed and 0.2 layers and no raft.

Zortrax printed it in 1h 26min, raft took around 20min to complete. So 1h 6min if we take raft time away. 

Open source printed it in 31min. So Zortrax is no speed demon and i am fine with that. For me quality is the most important thing and as a hobbyist i have time to wait. Just wanted to share my findings to the community.

2wp7440.jpg

I have been looking at FDM printers for a long time, but before the Zortrax caught my attention, I was put off by the bad prints people proudly showed, the tinkering and adjustments needed to make it work and not least the bad engineering of the machines. Plywood, acrylic plastic and horrendous design made me think I needed to put in the money on a Stratasys FDM. Then came Zortrax, the prints are professional quality, the machine is cheap and well made, materials are not badly priced either. 

Software is good and has everything I would need. I run a shop with a gizzilion gadgets, softwares and machines and really don't want to learn another software and play with settings to get results.

What I want from a 3D printer is to load the STL file into the software, make a few choices regarding layers etc., and print troublefree. Zortrax does all this :) . I don't care if the machine is half as fast as other inferior machines, I want reliability and great prints- and a machine that works. 

John Tangerås