Current and future Zortrax print speeds

I notice that the Zortrax brochure is silent on print speeds, whereas that data is available for at least some other printers. Is the current print speed for the Z200 known now and Zortrax made any public statements on future goals for that parameter?

Mike

I notice that the Zortrax brochure is silent on print speeds, whereas that data is available for at least some other printers. Is the current print speed for the Z200 known now and Zortrax made any public statements on future goals for that parameter?

Mike

Actually M-200 have something about 80mm/s of average speed - sometimes faster (infill), sometimes slower (perimeters). It’s linear speed, don’t forget about acceleration - in practice Zortrax prints faster then other popular machines with higher linear speed rates.

Actually M-200 have something about 80mm/s of average speed - sometimes faster (infill), sometimes slower (perimeters). It’s linear speed, don’t forget about acceleration - in practice Zortrax prints faster then other popular machines with higher linear speed rates.

[quote name=Szymon]in practice Zortrax prints faster then other popular machines with higher linear speed rates.
[/quote]

This is not true. With the current software, the Zortrax is half the speed of the Up when the Up is in “Fast” mode. Factor in that the Up can select larger layer thicknesses and less infill, and the speed difference increases tremendously, with some minor degradation of print quality.

I’m sure that the Zortrax is capable of high speed and I hope the team is working on faster motion, thicker layers, and more infill and support options, but for now it is a much slower machine than the Up, and probably slower than a lot of other machines like the Ultimaker as well.

Julia

[quote name=Szymon]in practice Zortrax prints faster then other popular machines with higher linear speed rates.
[/quote]

This is not true. With the current software, the Zortrax is half the speed of the Up when the Up is in “Fast” mode. Factor in that the Up can select larger layer thicknesses and less infill, and the speed difference increases tremendously, with some minor degradation of print quality.

I’m sure that the Zortrax is capable of high speed and I hope the team is working on faster motion, thicker layers, and more infill and support options, but for now it is a much slower machine than the Up, and probably slower than a lot of other machines like the Ultimaker as well.

Julia

Has anyone tried the new high speed mode? How much does it degrade surface quality?

Has anyone tried the new high speed mode? How much does it degrade surface quality?

I printed this part in regular and high speed with no noticeable difference in quality. If I recall print time went from about 1hr 50 min to 1hr 20 min.

P396L4l.jpg?1

@Julia Truchsess

No offense but do you working as UP reseller ? I do not see single post on this forum where you do not mention about Up, seems you have some business on announcing this machine here. And this time you attack Zortrax without any proof speaking that it is the slowest machine, maybe someone who have only Zortrax can belive for you but not me!

I’m owner of UP and Ultimaker and I know that Zortrax is same fast or even faster in some cases than this two machines. Is enough to use software estimation the differences on this 3 machines is +- 5-10%. I speak about print time excluding heating. So I don’t know from where you took this half speed.

Full infill (90% for Ultimaker and Makerbot), normal speed, 0.2 layer, support (10degree where possible).

Zortrax:

Zortrax.jpg

Up:

image.jpg

Ultimaker basic settings:

Ultimaker.jpg

Makerware Replicator 2:

makerbot2.jpg

Fast speed give almost same result in Up and Zortrax just I do not want to flood this topic with additional pictures.

@Julia Truchsess

No offense but do you working as UP reseller ? I do not see single post on this forum where you do not mention about Up, seems you have some business on announcing this machine here. And this time you attack Zortrax without any proof speaking that it is the slowest machine, maybe someone who have only Zortrax can belive for you but not me!

I’m owner of UP and Ultimaker and I know that Zortrax is same fast or even faster in some cases than this two machines. Is enough to use software estimation the differences on this 3 machines is +- 5-10%. I speak about print time excluding heating. So I don’t know from where you took this half speed.

I'll let Julia answer for herself, but at least before the addition of "fast" in the Z software the UP printer was much faster than the M200. In just about any mode in my opinion. And full disclosure, I DO sell UPs, as well as Makerbot and Flashforge. And personally own 8 printers. The M200 before the update mentioned was the slowest printer I own. But it also produces some of the best prints out of them too.

So has anyone experienced any loss in quality from printing in fast mode?

If not then why not print fast all the time? Under what circumstances would it not be appropriate to use?

I’m going to start experimenting, just wanted to know if anyone out there has already figured it out…

Try to follow a very tight and narrow curve on the road going slow in your car and then again going fast. The inertia of the car tries to pull you off track when you go faster.

Since the x/y system of the Zortrax (and all other printers) is not perfectly rigid faster and more sudden changes in direction cause more oscillation (ringing) and less defined edges/corners. The difference is probably not noticeable on larger parts. On small parts with tiny details the edges should be a bit less defined on fast speed.

I have not done a real life comparison between the two settings on the Zortrax yet, though.

Makes sense thanks for the explanation.

I print mostly larger parts but with very intricate details. 

I will conduct a test on a good part soon and report back.

@Julia Truchsess

No offense, Mark82, but do you working as Zortrax reseller? I do not see single post on this forum where you do not talk as if Zortrax is 100% perfect with no room for improvement.

Just because you say "no offense" does not mean that your remarks are not offensive. You have accused me of being dishonest and unscrupulous, so yes, I am offended.

I do not have any affiliation with Up, Afinia, pp3dp, or Tiertime other than that I am a user. I have more experience with the Up than with any other printer and I have used it almost daily for 2-1/2 years, so it is my "reference standard" for comparison with other printers.

I don't usually feel compelled to provide "proof" of statements because most people who know me online from this and other forums trust me. I do not "attack" Zortrax; I point out areas in which I would like to see it improved.

In the kind of prints I most often do, i.e. engineering prototypes not requiring fine layers, it is patently obvious that the Up is significantly faster than the M200, especially when support is involved. This was especially true back in March when I made the post you seem to be objecting to, when we did not have thicker layers, "High Speed" mode, or "Support Lite". I am very glad to see these new options added to the M200 and I'm sure they have narrowed the speed gap between the two machines. I have not spent enough time with the latest M200 software to comment on the overall speed impact of these improvements.

And maybe, just maybe, my terrible "attacks" on Zortrax were responsible in some small part for those options having been implemented at this time.

Now I see that someone reopened this thread and I answered for post from the march thinking that it is new discussion, my wrong.

No offense, Mark82, but do you working as Zortrax reseller? [background=#f7f7f7]I do not see single post on this forum where you do not talk as if Zortrax is 100% perfect with no room for improvement.[/background]

I just like my Zortrax and if I have any problem or features requested then I can flood support or Martin PM because "Official support is being provided via e-mail support@zortrax.com." if they screw job there then I can write about this on the forum.

Same if I like someone then I do not walk at front of this person and I do not speak at front of everyone that “I like you but you should change your bad hairstyle”, more I try to find polite way to suggest “changes”. Simple human to human relations working also with products.

And maybe, just maybe, my terrible "attacks" on Zortrax were responsible in some small part for those options having been implemented at this time.

FAST mode was in Z-Suite always just deactivated so it was natural that it will come and for sure many support questions was about it.

Since months I’m in the possession of file to change temperature settings, instead of “attacks” (you mentioned about temperature many times) to get it I used warm friendly messages with my requests and this working best, same with features requests.

I don't usually feel compelled to provide "proof" of statements because most people who know me online from this and other forums trust me

I only trust for facts, numbers and I'm not compelled to "big" names.

Long time I didn’t checked pp3dp forum but I can bet that no “attacks” there, even if Up looks funny in this days without 3D preview and with strange pause feature.

I used warm friendly messages with my requests and this working best, same with features requests.

Show me one post by me on this forum where I was unfriendly or disrespectful, apart from this thread where you insulted me. I try to be factual and neutral but this is not "unfriendly". I was having friendly chats and emails with both Martin and Rafal long before you were here.

I think the Zortrax is a good printer with many good qualities, and I have said so widely and publicly. I want it to be even better, and I am surprised to hear anyone say that this forum is the wrong place to discuss it. I reserve contact with support staff to actual bugs or malfunctions rather than general discussion of features and performance. I don't remember seeing any notice from Zortrax saying that feature requests should be sent via email to support, but maybe I missed something.

Long time I didn't checked pp3dp forum but I can bet that no "attacks" there, even if Up looks funny in this days without 3D preview and with strange pause feature.

This shows how much I attack Zortrax: a 7-page, 133-post thread started by me on pp3dp forum, telling everyone how great the M200 is:

http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23455

More than one person purchased a Zortrax because of that thread.

This shows how much I attack Zortrax: a 7-page, 133-post thread started by me on pp3dp forum, telling everyone how great the M200 is:

http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23455

More than one person purchased a Zortrax because of that thread.

Interesting thread - looks like Sm*le wasn't one of the converts :)

Interesting thread - looks like Sm*le wasn't one of the converts :)

LOL :D

Mark82 you really need to stop.

This is a place for people to relax and talk about something we all have in common which is the Zortrax M200.

I bought my printer because of Julia and I'm sure a lot of people did as well. If you got to know her you would find out she is a kind, smart, caring person

who loves to be a part of the community. 

I also don't understand how you be little her, If you knew her you would know that she was the first to invent and market the digital picture frame and has many patents entitled in her name.

Engineer, person and forum member she is awesome.

As stated in Game of Thrones "You know nothing John Snow"