deep clog: material stuck 3 cm above open print tube no nozzle

The manual has nothing to say about this and I have had it happen twice. I get past the extruder and well into the throat of the tube but get stuck a couple of cm above the open bore of the print tube. NO NOZZLE PRESENT

I found that if you heat the extruder for a long time that the heat eventually gets up there and softens things so that they will pass.

I also found that helped with the problem of weak extrusion on the left side of the raft at startup.

I also found that helped with the problem of weak extrusion on the left side of the raft at startup.

Only while printing raft?

Kinda looks like heating issue or ribbon cable. There is a simple ribbon cable tester in our library, you can try print it. 

Also, in the meantime, you can dismantle hotend and see if teflon tube is on its place. 

As it turns out I was mistaken. On my next big print I had the same left side problem with clicking extruder and poor initial lines. On that same large print which was 120 mm in diameter I had severe lift on the right with your HIPS material. I did not that time apply a slurry of dissolved plastic as as sometimes been advised. I have done a few prints with a primitive curtain around the box but since I always used the slurry I don't know whether it was the curtain or the slurry that caused a good result in those cases. I don't think the lift has anything to do with the left side problem.

BTW I find that with HIPS the support is always terribly sticky and has effectively ruined several prints. I have pretty much decided to never use support with HIPS. I just re-engineer the print to avoid the need for support. With ULTRA-T the support peels off almost completely.

I am a new user and an EE. Is there a technical discussion of the ribbon cable issue available? Also is there a drawing of the hot end in cross section so I could better understand the fiber path without taking mine apart completely?

Also is there a drawing of the hot end in cross section so I could better understand the fiber path without taking mine apart completely?

Take a look at this thread.. I drew up a hot end.. Might help.. http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/topic/2377-snapped-nozzle/?hl=nozzle

Thanks Kyle