dissolve z-hips with limonene

hi all,

did anyone ever try to dissolve z-hips with limonene??

if it works, is it fast?

nobody??

Not here..

Hi,

To be honest, with a m200 (so single extruder), I do not see any reason why somebody could have the need of doing that 

May I ask what do you expect or want to acheive ?

Laurent

To be honest, with a m200 (so single extruder), I do not see any reason why somebody could have the need of doing that 

You are right, but many manufacturers are trading HIPS as a printing filament and warp free solution and many customers even do not know that it's original purpose was just to provide dissolvable support.

To me it is an interesting question wether a printed object (here Z-HIPS) could be damaged by something like concentrated lemonade.  :)

You are right, but many manufacturers are trading HIPS as a printing filament and warp free solution and many customers even do not know that it's original purpose was just to provide dissolvable support.

To me it is an interesting question wether a printed object (here Z-HIPS) could be damaged by something like concentrated lemonade.  :)

HIPS is a general description.. I'm sure there are many chemical variations of it.

Hi,

May I ask what do you expect or want to acheive ?

Laurent

to melt the workpiece directly into a mold, and after it comes casting aluminum molten

sorry for my bad english

to melt the workpiece directly into a mold, and after it comes casting aluminum molten

What are you using for investment? (what kind of casting material)

What are you using for investment? (what kind of casting material)

we tried several kinds of molds => resin mixture of sand, ...
we will try with plaster,
but the main purpose is to make a mold of a complex printing in one piece, (that's why I find it interesting to dissolve the object directly into the mold)

;)

we tried several kinds of molds => resin mixture of sand, ...
we will try with plaster,
but the main purpose is to make a mold of a complex printing in one piece, (that's why I find it interesting to dissolve the object directly into the mold)

I tried plaster.. The finish is not that great.. Used ABS melted out with Acetone.. There is a thread on here explaining why plaster is not the best.. Look at the post on page 3 by Bobgerman.. Almost to the end.. http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/topic/1164-im-trying-a-metal-casting-experiment/page-3?hl=casting

Ok, I better understand now ! :)

I tried once to dissolve classic “hips” (I mean, not Z-HIPS, but I do not rember brand name) I used as support material. It took ages to dissolve (add to that the time I spent calibrating - and calibrating again - my double extruder setup, and you have the reason why I prefer an M200 :wink: )

Moreover, I do agree with Kyle and I think Z-HIPS, dedicated to be used as a regular printing filament, may have a different behaviour. (I threw away my D-Limonene months ago, this thing has a very strong smell, so unfortunately I can’t test)

ZR-

I tried HIPS on a difficult 30 hour print and was quite impressed with the results.

It extruded very well, and the completed print was excellent.

Give it a try maybe?

You are trying to redefine world which use PS and and HIPS since 80 years, try it and then you can find out what HI = High Impact means.

Purpose of HIPS is not to be used as dissolvable support but to serve industry of CD cases, razors, packing, toys, enclosures etc. where other materials do not have required impact strength and yes it is solution for warping I can compare HIPS to PLA outlook and warping.

You are trying to redefine world which use PS and and HIPS since 80 years, try it and then you can find out what HI = High Impact means.

Purpose of HIPS is not to be used as dissolvable support but to serve industry of CD cases, razors, packing, toys, enclosures etc. where other materials do not have required impact strength and yes it is solution for warping I can compare HIPS to PLA outlook and warping.

Wow Mark82 we're going into your next try to jump onto another track. I can imagine that life as a print operator might be a hard one. Boy, I also think that fumes in a heavy production environment can do evil things with the brain. But allthough I don't know what it is finally, I just know that you should take care about it, it looks not healthy to me!

So I when I was writing about the M200 (here in the M200 forum) you wanted to discuss me Makerbot, Stratasys and the like. Next when talking about consumer rights (I am a consumer) you wanted me to discuss professional systems issues. And now when I am writing about 3D printer filaments (here in a 3D printer forum) you want to discuss with my a redefinition of the world  (maybe the plastics world 80 years back in time?)!

That's not normal Mark82, really. If that pic on your profile is no avatar but you under the helmet, add a bit more oxygen please.

BTW, use google and search for filament and HIPS and you would find definitions telling just what I told.

ZR-

I tried HIPS on a difficult 30 hour print and was quite impressed with the results.

It extruded very well, and the completed print was excellent.

Give it a try maybe?

Actually I was not (!) intentionally talking bad about Z-HIPS but added a remark that Z-HIPS is going to be treated as a warp preventing, non shrinking, replacement filament for Z-ABS.

Nothing of that is true, Z-HIPS also warps if you have the corresponding object, shrinkage is also an issue then (of course) and if it is up to the objects I want to print, that fail with Z-HIPS also (just less warping than Z-ABS, still too much).

I gave it more than one try, what I liked was the surfaces of the prints.

If it helps you print with it.

Actually I was not (!) intentionally talking bad about Z-HIPS but added a remark that Z-HIPS is going to be treated as a warp preventing, non shrinking, replacement filament for Z-ABS.

Nothing of that is true, Z-HIPS also warps if you have the corresponding object, shrinkage is also an issue then (of course) and if it is up to the objects I want to print, that fail with Z-HIPS also (just less warping than Z-ABS, still too much).

I gave it more than one try, what I liked was the surfaces of the prints.

If it helps you print with it.

Sorry, I didn't think you where talking bad....

I could have been clearer, Z-HIPS still warped for me on a large box I've tried to print with all different types of filament.

But a large sculpture piece I've cut into 4 sections (which was an epic fail in ABS) printed very well.

My only point is that there are certain applications where this filament will work well, and it's a good one to keep in mind if you're having trouble getting the result with other materials.