Drafts nullifier

Hi,

I had some problems with prints bending, so apart from using actone-Z-ABS solution which really helped,

I added a PMMA aquarium on top of Zortrax printer.

Dimensions: 288x340x260, PMMA sheets:  340x260x3 - 2pcs,  280x260x3 - 2pcs, 288x340x3 - 1 pcs.

Precut PMMA sheets + glue+ transport <100PLN (~24€), glueing ~10min

So far I haven't observed any adverse side effects (on small prints).

To stabilize I putted around 300g mass on top.

BR

PM

Generally when people cover the top they've reported filament jams. Haven't experienced this with my other printers that are covered on the top but the M200 extruder stepper runs the hottest out of all my steppers.

Generally when people cover the top they've reported filament jams. Haven't experienced this with my other printers that are covered on the top but the M200 extruder stepper runs the hottest out of all my steppers.

one could give it a fan http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:932256  :)

I've got 2 M200's with covers on them....never a problem and a much better print in ABS.

Mind you it is winter here at the moment.

If you look at the picture made, there are multiple air wents in this configuration. First "the aquarium" sticks out at the back of the printer (that is through there that filament and control cable go in), second there are air gaps in standard Zortrax covers. That should prevent overheating the filament. For prints up to 3hrs of printing I haven't got any problems. Once I test this configuration on a  multihour print I will report my findings.

10hrs print, no jamming, no warping or bending of part (Z-ABS).

Careful, the higher temp may not be good long term for the stepper motors, heat over time can degrade their performance, also keep on top of lubrication of the rods as the higher temp can dry out the lube and of course the electronics exposed to the higher temp can degrade connectors (plastic) and allow "hot" components to fail or even de-solder / short.

The specs on many internal parts and electronics are sometimes overlooked in the design as to if a user makes a modification that can cause them to fail, you may be just fine but also be prepared.