Dual Fan Shroud

Because I've had some problems while printing small objects I decided to add one more fan shroud on the left side of the nozzle.

It is just a prototype. I have to make it from aluminium because printed one bends as iPhone 6 Plus. ^_^

pa290941.jpg

Some things have to be improved. It hits a stepper.

pa290944.jpg

pa290950.jpg

pa290948.jpg

pa290946.jpg

Another prototype.

pa300982.jpg

pa300984.jpg

pa300972.jpg

It still bends so I machined aluminium one. It should be black anodized by the end of next week.

pa300990.jpg

Another prototype with different attachment.

pa300982.jpg

pa300984.jpg

pa300972.jpg

It still bends so I machined aluminium one. It should be black anodized by the end of next week.

pa300990.jpg

Well done  ;)

:huh: Hum...

If more cooling fan are necessary, it should be taken as "innovations from the user experience"  :P

I wonder if this will effect the weight of the print head assembly much. If it increases the inertia, it may produce printing artefacts due to effects on print head acceleration and deceleration, but might only be noticeable on high speed or paths with lots of rapid direction change. Let us know how you get on.

I have to say that I also see more disadvantages than advantages to this... I don't want any additional mass on the head. Is there really any (proven) improvement in print quality with two fans? Could you point me to some pics? 

I will.. Printed the Zortrax bolt with 1 and 2 fans.. The threads did not look as nice on the left side of print. I'll try to find them.. That's why I added a second..

I really don't like the way these axial fans are being used. i.e pushing air into a surface right in front of them is very inefficient. I know lots of companies use them this way though. I'd prefer to see one tangential fan ducted and split to cool both sides. The tangential fan is designed for sucking air into the centre and blowing out the side. You could mount it vertically, away from hot end more easily as well. Wish I could work out how to copy and paste a link but it won't let me (anyway search for 40mm blower fan on google and you'll see what I mean). They would produce a much higher through put of air, more than enough for 2 or 3 ducting splits. There are only a handful of these types of small (40mm blowers) compared with the thousands of axial fans though.

Kyle,

Have you ever had the issue of your second fan hitting the platform connector in the back on large prints?

Kyle,

Have you ever had the issue of your second fan hitting the platform connector in the back on large prints?

No.. It sits just as high as the first fan..

Project finished! :)

post-6-0-89193500-1429908766.jpg

I added slide switch to switch second fan on when I need it and off when I don't.

post-6-0-78644400-1429908775.jpg

post-6-0-71085200-1429908773.jpg

please … how should the electrical connection?

I printed and use Julias Slip in dual fan from thingiverse (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1501068) . It works great, especially with flexible filament. But it´s necessary to disable the auto fan mode in z-suite because it will lead to an unexpected temperature drop error message. 

lucky

it´s simple. If using the nocture fan, cut the yellow cable close to the fan (it´s not necessary). Connect the red cable with the red  cable from the lower fan and the black cable with the black cable from the lower fan. All in all it´s a parallel connection. I connected the cable on the lowest level with a solder. But next time I will implement a connector so I can disable the second fan on behalf.  The most tricky thing here is, to get the cable out of the metal housing :-)

Boris

thanks … !

archive and soon I have time I try

Hey yosemitesam

Great work for your printer. How about the results you get with printed models.

Can you upload the stl files of your project please?!

So other experienced users can do it yourself.

Thanks in further

Hi 3D-Profi,

I am sorry for not replying sooner.

The files are in the attachment. The "fan_mod1" part is made of 3mm aluminum.

I am going to make some reasonably priced kits. I hope I can prepare them until the end of the month, depends on the firms that do laser cutting and anodizing.