Everybody has to do their own ribbon cable clip...

Here's mine, two of them nicely tie the ribbon cable and filament conduit together. I just stole a couple other designs and massaged them together.

RibbonTubeClip.jpg

RibbonTubeClipBin.stl

Nice. Thanks. Works perfect and looks great!

Might as well post the ribbon clip for the back too. Again nothing new here, just cleaned up some to make it prettier. Removed the countersink (my machine came with button head screws), tidied up the details a bit with some radii etc.

RibbonClip.jpg

RibbonClipBin.stl

Here's mine, two of them nicely tie the ribbon cable and filament conduit together. I just stole a couple other designs and massaged them together.

attachicon.gifRibbonTubeClip.jpg

attachicon.gifRibbonTubeClipBin.stl

Ribbon Tube Clips keep making me scratch my head... is there a technical advantage to these, or are they purely aesthetic?

The first clip posted is to attach cable to filament tube. Helps prevent cable flexing right at the connector. Less chance of fatigue. Second one listed is purely aesthetic. Replaces the round ones on the back.. A little better fit for the cable.

The first clip posted is to attach cable to filament tube. Helps prevent cable flexing right at the connector. Less chance of fatigue. Second one listed is purely aesthetic. Replaces the round ones on the back.. A little better fit for the cable.

Yeah, it's the clip that connects the flat cable to the filament tube that has me confused. Has there been any official recommendation on how many of these to use and where to place them?

I understand that we're trying to avoid fatigue/cyclical failure in the ribbon cables. I even printed a few out and installed them, but I just don't see how they're going to help - in part because they take the ribbon cable and point it straight up, which puts a hard bend in the cable right at the connector. Plus the ribbon still twists when the print head is in the front right corner (over the display).

I'm assuming that the problem here is I'm just not doing it right :)

A hard bend is OK - as long as it stays that way. What you don't want is to have the cable flexing repeatedly in a short area. The plastic filament tube is stiff enough that it tends to take the motion and spread the flex along its length in a large radius, tying the ribbon cable cable to it mimics its motion. Without anything on my machine, all of the flex was happening in the first inch or two (bad) next to the connector (extra bad). On industrial CNC machines that run 3 shifts a day for 3 decades, cables and hoses are guided by steel bands or mechanisms known as motion chain in large radii which prevents any small radius repeated flexing. 

A hard bend is OK - as long as it stays that way. What you don't want is to have the cable flexing repeatedly in a short area. The plastic filament tube is stiff enough that it tends to take the motion and spread the flex along its length in a large radius, tying the ribbon cable cable to it mimics its motion. Without anything on my machine, all of the flex was happening in the first inch or two (bad) next to the connector (extra bad). On industrial CNC machines that run 3 shifts a day for 3 decades, cables and hoses are guided by steel bands or mechanisms known as motion chain in large radii which prevents any small radius repeated flexing. 

Gotcha.

I'd love to see a photos of printers where these are used, to see where people are placing them, how many I used, etc.

I printed out 3 clips, tried them in various positions, and still was getting a lot of twist in the ribbon cable at the connector when it moves from left to right.

Gotcha.

I'd love to see a photos of printers where these are used, to see where people are placing them, how many I used, etc.

I printed out 3 clips, tried them in various positions, and still was getting a lot of twist in the ribbon cable at the connector when it moves from left to right.

I modified the standard Zortrax file to where the hook was further over to the side where it lined up with the tube. I placed one of those right at where the tube enters the extruder and it has really cut down on flexing and twisting.

This is my ribbon cable clip:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:684003

It works very well with the last type of ribbon cable that is very thin (1mm thick).