Extruder "stuttering" when printing raft

I used to print with Z-Ultrat with the corresponding profile in the zcode. I checked this more than once. :wink:

@Night Shift: Wrong! I don’t use Z-Temp with the printer at work. :stuck_out_tongue:

@Julia: I was not able to try a new nozzle, because I haven’t one in stock. If the extruder does not go to or hold the temperature it has to, it could also be a cable issue, right!?

I used to print with Z-Ultrat with the corresponding profile in the zcode. I checked this more than once. ;)

@Night Shift: Wrong! I don’t use Z-Temp with the printer at work. :stuck_out_tongue:

@Julia: I was not able to try a new nozzle, because I haven’t one in stock. If the extruder does not go to or hold the temperature it has to, it could also be a cable issue, right!?

If you have two printers you could exchange the ribbon cables, but be sure that they have corresponding wiring (matching hardware revisions).

Yeah, that would be an option, but I guess I will tell my boss to buy a new cable instead. This little printer saved more than enough money, so its worth this invest of 15€. :smiley:

Yeah, that would be an option, but I guess I will tell my boss to buy a new cable instead. This little printer saved more than enough money, so its worth this invest of 15€. :D

Just to check if it is the cable. Finally better buy some more.

But my printer is working fine at and I don’t want to touch this running system.

We have a reseller nearby which has this parts in stock so no need to change.

Thank you again for the help! 👍

Return it to your reseller for warranty replacement. If you fix it yourself then Zortrax never sees the problem and doesn't improve their production quality.

But it is already out of warranty since 2 months and the company bought it directly from Zortrax and not the reseller.

But if I find the issue I can write here what it was.

Try drawing a line on the end of the motor shafts or the end face of the gear for an easy observation of the motor travel, stuttering back and forth or skipping in a single direction, also the small bearing that presses the filament against the feed gear is under a high side point load and I have seen them destroyed and no longer turning freely causing high friction and feed skipping or clunky noise.

I think you said you've cleaned the nozzle, but have you actually tried a brand new one?

And it could be a temperature thing, maybe the hot end is just not getting up to where it needs to be.

I had this exact problem (just like shown in Julia's video) with my M200.  Cleaning the nozzle didn't fix it.  Replacing the nozzle did fix it. 

So far the printer is also printing again, without any exchange of parts. I cleaned the nozzle and the hotend again. But this time I cleaned the nozzle with acetone first and after drying with a torch. It seemed that there where remainings, which were not soluble with acetone, like Z-Hips.

But I will buy some spare parts anyway. 😉 Thank you all for the help.

Seems this problem is raising, we have 3 customer printers down for this exact same issue.

We have replaced ALL the components

ribbon cable

PCB

Nozzle

Hotend

Hot end wires

All for new ones on each case one by one until we finished with all new components and problem still persist. Printers were working normally before the issue.

At this time we have no more solutions. And one of the motherboards we sent to zortrax is still being tested.

I'm seeing this at times as well. Wondering if it's possible that new nozzles are coming in with slightly smaller orifice diameter.

I'm seeing this at times as well. Wondering if it's possible that new nozzles are coming in with slightly smaller orifice diameter.

I did chuck one up in my lathe and ran a bit through it.. (0.4mm)  It did take out a very small amount of material. Have to use an eye loupe to see it though.

It doesn't take much...

I gotta say, again I think, that my M200 stuttered too on the left rear side/center of the bed with bad layering on the first layer and the feeder stuttered when it did that. 

It was because the left back side was off and the nozzle was so close to the print bed that the material couldn't come out so it would stutter and the raft would look like crap there but after the first layer or two it would start to print regularly.

Even thought the calibration wasn't that far off it was off so I lowered the back left side 1.5 to 2 turns and no she prints a beautiful raft with no stuttering. 

Hmm, I have this problem too. The second layer is printed too low, so the extruder drives over the first layer and pushes the printbed down.

I gotta say, again I think, that my M200 stuttered too on the left rear side/center of the bed with bad layering on the first layer and the feeder stuttered when it did that. 

It clicked or skipped  :P

Hmm, I have this problem too. The second layer is printed too low, so the extruder drives over the first layer and pushes the printbed down.

I would check the bed level, btw I do this always after swapping perfboard or nozzles.

I did, the middle is 0.3 off. I will check again when I bend the print bed back. I still have the old one so the bed rises in the middle after a couple of prints, that is really annoying.

I did, the middle is 0.3 off. I will check again when I bend the print bed back. I still have the old one so the bed rises in the middle after a couple of prints, that is really annoying.

The same happens with the new one..it's not the table that it fails, it's the debris under it.