Extruder to Hot?

Hello,

I have just received our new M200 at work, and I think there might be a issue.

When I first went to use the printer it wouldn't get past 88% to heat the extruder, but I upgraded the firmware and it fixed it.

It takes about 5-8 minutes to heat up when starting a print now, not sure if that is normal?

However the material seems to be getting burnt as it gets laid on the bed?

The sample I printed looks to be much hotter than the sample in the box, its also a little hairy and it also gets burnt spots though out the part.

Attached are a few pics, there is a sample of a print provided by our resell and a print it did yesterday.

is there and issue or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks 

Mike

Pic of the hair, is this normal?

Is the extruder nozzle snug tight?

Sometimes material will leak if it is not. Also if the nozzle has build up of material on it, it will leak onto the print and show up as burnt.

I know my first few prints with the M200 I had burnt prints. I think most have. But after it was broken in it printed perfect.

Did you get the side doors?

What settings are you using on Zsuite when you sliced your file?

Sometimes strings happen when the extruder cools down too much and the material doesn't hold to the layer it is suppose to. Doors help with this and keep the print area at a nice temp range. What fan setting did you use?

Did you calibrate your printer before using it? Are the relevant screws on the machine rails tight? (sometimes not all the screws get tight on the assembly line from what I have heard) Zortrax support site has videos on how to do all this.

It wouldn't hurt to print out some bearings for the spools to help with friction and to extend the spool holder that came with the machine also helps. Friction could also cause some issues like the strings--it happened with Zglass before with me.

Make sure the heater wires are secured into the hot end.

Make sure the the bottom fan works. I had a fan go out fairly quick-within 1-2 months when I got my machine and hurt my prints majorly---caused burns.

A lot to check and do but once you learn the things it becomes second nature and is fairly more simple than it sounds.

Cheers.

The screw for the Thermocouple and the Heating Element were loose.

The next print looked much better but still had burnt bits. I have changed over the nozzle and there was a lot of burnt bits inside of it that one.

So just about to run my next print to see how that goes.

Thanks

Seems to now take a very long time to heat up the extruder. It will sit at 97-98% for 10 plus minutes.

Hello,

I have just received our new M200 at work, and I think there might be a issue.

When I first went to use the printer it wouldn't get past 88% to heat the extruder, but I upgraded the firmware and it fixed it.

It takes about 5-8 minutes to heat up when starting a print now, not sure if that is normal?

However the material seems to be getting burnt as it gets laid on the bed?

The sample I printed looks to be much hotter than the sample in the box, its also a little hairy and it also gets burnt spots though out the part.

Attached are a few pics, there is a sample of a print provided by our resell and a print it did yesterday.

is there and issue or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks 

Mike

Hello there Mike,

Try to run filament loading few times to clean the hotend inside. If that won't help, try to clean your hotend and nozzle before further printing. Here are the links to the manuals for both of those advices: http://support.zortrax.com/hotend-cleaning/, http://support.zortrax.com/nozzle-cleaning/

Please let me know if that helped.

Seems to now take a very long time to heat up the extruder. It will sit at 97-98% for 10 plus minutes.

Update firmware: http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/topic/1918-new-firmware-version-006-beta-test-fix-for-hotend-v2/

[…]

[…]

Seems like he did that allready.

So the next print looked better as it draw more material throw. I then started the next print which then wouldn’t get past 98% on heating the extruder. The longer it sits the blacker the material gets.

I have the doors installed and it’s in a office above 20 degrees. Do you think there might be a bad connection in the heater system or the thermocouple?

The heater element was not an overly tight fit in the hot end hole. Would some kind of thermo paste help? Should the lower fan be on when it’s heating up?

The top one is on but the lower fan is not.

So the next print looked better as it draw more material throw. I then started the next print which then wouldn't get past 98% on heating the extruder. The longer it sits the blacker the material gets.

I have the doors installed and it’s in a office above 20 degrees. Do you think there might be a bad connection in the heater system or the thermocouple?

The heater element was not an overly tight fit in the hot end hole. Would some kind of thermo paste help? Should the lower fan be on when it’s heating up?

The top one is on but the lower fan is not.

It can be damaged heater or thermocoupler. I would advise taking the printer to the neareset official Zortrax reseller, so they would take a closer look at it in their tech service.

But before you do that, please provide us the information if you've cleaned the parts which I've mentioned above using the provided manuals?

The fact that it takes too long to heat up although you already have the latest firmware seems to be an indicator for a bad thermocouple itself or bad heat transfer to the thermocouple. Your hotend gets too hot…and the sensor does not recognize it. I really don’t think it’s the heater cartridge…it obviously gets hot enough. And heat paste wouldn’t make a difference there …besides the fact that it’s hard to find something for such high temps.

I have never seen such brown first layers before. And even small burning marks are very rare nowadays.

I can’t help myself …something is not right with this V2 block… It feels like the frequency of temp related issues is increasing rapidly since its introduction.

The Thermocouple wire is loose.

Looks to be a likely candidate. What say you Chris ?

Looks like it was a faulty thermocouple, it gets to temp much quicker now and no burning of the material. 

Thanks Jamie for getting me a spare really quickly.

Looks like it was a faulty thermocouple, it gets to temp much quicker now and no burning of the material. 

Thanks Jamie for getting me a spare really quickly.

I'm glad that your problem is solved Mike.

Regards,

Chris