Firmware 0.0.4

Of course, you’re probably right Andre, I should have thought of that. And I was so looking forward to auto calibration. Oh well, back to using a business card.

I will give that a whirl, thanks Richdon.

Of course, you're probably right Andre, I should have thought of that. And I was so looking forward to auto calibration. Oh well, back to using a business card.

…or straighten the board which I would recommend. The business card is not any different than the autocal. If you do the business card properly in the corners you will get the same result (=dragging nozzle). And if you include the centers then you will be low on the corners…

Try to straighten your platform using the methosd Martin showed in the forum, I used it and it worked great.

Is there any link to Martin's method? My machine shows that the centre the 0.5 higher than all the corners...

In my case Martin's method was not enough. I had to straighten the black aluminum platform.

In the new firmware (0.0.4) I noticed a few interesting things:

- after turning on the printer the platform heating starts and when it's heated the blue led starts blinking, but when I start printing it says "heating platform" again.

- this might have nothing to do with the new firmware but after the unit is turned on the heating fan by the extruder seems to run very loud. It needs to be turned off and on again to make the weird sound disappear.

Has anyone else noticed these? 

- after turning on the printer the platform heating starts and when it's heated the blue led starts blinking, but when I start printing it says "heating platform" again.

- this might have nothing to do with the new firmware but after the unit is turned on the heating fan by the extruder seems to run very loud. It needs to be turned off and on again to make the weird sound disappear.

The fans use bushings. Just leave it on and see if noise goes away. Mine did that all the time. I finally changed out the fans to ball bearing ones..

I had the fan issues as well. To me, it sounded like the voltage was too low at first (which seemed like an odd problem to have) but Kyle's explanation makes more sense. If the bushings are sitting for too long, they might need some time to settle back in. Zortrax Support suggested I loosend the fan screws, this didn't help for me. I ended up replacing the fan with another one that has a bushing, so it's quieter, but still has the same problem.

-J

These are what I bought..http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Delta-AFB0412MA-09360415-40mm-x-40mm-x-10mm-12VDC-Fan-Blower-Chipset-2pins-/321277584582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acda2e4c6 

They were used on on GM radios in early 2000. They will hold up to the heat.

you platform is probably warped/bowed...since the cal does not check the rear center (for example) you could still be too high there if the platform is bowed up.

I had problems doing an auto-cal until I noticed out that the perf bed was getting hung up on the alignment pins and/or screw heads.  Because the of the hangup, the bed didn't seem to move while the alignment screw was being turned. I tightened the 3 alignment screws until the heads were exposed above the platform and the springs were almost completely compressed which seemed to clear the interference problem and auto-cal after that went quickly.

It would be a good idea to leave a little slack in the springs, rather than to compress them all the way, so you can bring a corner up a bit if it is too low the first time through auto-cal.

Mike

Is it just me or is everything slower with 0.0.4? The platform does not heat up fully until you select a model, the extruder heating bounces around between 96 and 98% much longer, extruder has to reheat again right after unloading when you want to load new filament (why??)... It's pretty annoying to be honest... 

Andre,

I noticed the same, starting the print is much more longer, and I was surprised that after quick filament unload/replace it started extruder heating again for XX seconds, where before it was instantly. Maybe it was intentional to help better spread the heat?

But after all, I have to say that, autocali is a great upgrade. After a week hard using machine, I got +0.5mm on the center, so used method mentioned above, and now I got 0,0,0,0,0 :D Just missing information while calibrating how much to high/low the corner is. And I was about to fire a bug, that messages are swapped - ie truning screw clockwise will lower the bed, not high, but then looking support pdf I notified that Zortrax point of view is from top of printer, not from screw pow.

Is there any link to Martin's method? My machine shows that the centre the 0.5 higher than all the corners...

http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/topic/483-tips-tricks-warping-issue-solution/

Point: 3, 4, 5, 10, 11

It works. Now my machine level difference is 0.1. The auto cal function is great at all time.

For your problems with auto-calibration - at first please make sure that your heated platform is properly attached in the printer, especially when you fully tighten the screws that holds the platform. Turning the screws should change the position of the heated platform and the perforated plate should not be bend.

Filip,

Any feedback in regards to the slowness and the non functioning software pause?

Filip,

Any feedback in regards to the slowness and the non functioning software pause?

Andre, about the slowness I think it is your personally feeling because these functions have no any changes. Pause option is still in test phase and our team working on it.

The fact that the platform does not heat to 100% before a model is selected is a change and has also been confirmed by Rafal somewhere (may have been in the shoutbox). It only heats to about 70% when you switch the printer on and wait.

Also it is a fact that the extruder is reheating after unloading the filament when you want to load the new one. In 0.0.3 the extruder simply stayed hot and you could reload immediately.

That is easily to observe and has nothing to do with personal feeling.

@Andre

You are right now after loading filament heating is turned off to not bake filament in hot end without reason, to just heat hot end forever is functions Maintanence->Heat the extruder.

Platform is preheated only to 60-70% after start due of CE requirements - this temperature is ‘acceptable’ for touching the platform.

Hot end heating take a while near 100% it calibrate to find optimal parameters due of different environments.

Pause will works always in next zsuite release.

Best Regards

Thank you very much for the explanation, Martin. :)  Now it all makes perfect sense. I suspected some kind of regulatory requirement in regards to the platform. It always helps if you have the background info and what caused the changes.

If I could make a suggestion... it would be great if the extruder heater could just stay on for maybe another 20 seconds or so after unloading...I usually have the new filament ready to go and this way I could immediately load the new one... right now I have to stand there holding the filament until the extruder temp has recovered.

Don't know who is behind our new staff member "Zortrax" but he should inform himself a bit better before replying   ;)

Hi,

I have a problem with the auto calibration procedure. When I started it today (for the first time) everything seemed ok until the nozzle tried to reach / touch the contact surface left front. It stopped 2mm before it reached the contact surface and so the z-move also did not stop. This means the platform went up with full force, touched the nozzle and only the limited torque of the stepper stopped the movement. I immediately switched of the printer, but the nozzle had already damaged the perf board a little bit.

Does anybody else had this problem and can I adjust these points where the nozzle touchs the contact surface?

Best regards,

Olli