Firmware Will Not Install

I have hardware version 2, and am running Z-suite 0.0.8 and firmware 0.0.3.  Immediately following my install of Z-suite 0.0.8 (from 0.0.6) the printer began behaving erratically when printing.  It lays down filament at random around the print bed.  I had just had a successful print 10 minutes prior to this software upgrade.  I suspect that there may be a software/firmware issue so I tried to update the firmware to 0.0.4.  However when I insert the SD card loaded with Update.bin I get no response.  Does anyone have any ideas?  The best I can think to do is wait for Z-suite 0.0.9 and see if that fixes the problem.  Currently the printer is unusable.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Are you using the SD card that came with printer?

No.  That SD became corrupted shortly after getting the printer.  I just bought a new SD card and named it Zortrax so that the autosave feature in Z-suite still works.

You have to use an SD card no larger than 4GB I believe for firmware updates... (I would stick with 2 to be safe) Someone ran into this a while back. Large cards work fine for Z-code files though..

Kyle is right. I had the same issue with an 8GB SD card. 4GB, FAT32 format, 32KB AUS works.

Thank you.  I will pick up a 2GB SD card and give it a try when I get home from work today.  I will let everyone know how it goes.

Looks like the SD card was the problem.  The firmware will not upgrade if you are trying to use an SDHC (almost all SD cards today) card.  You need a normal SD card.  I had to go to the grocery store to find one!  Electronics stores only had SDHC.

So good news is the firmware is upgraded.  The bad news is the printer is still acting weird.  It printed the raft almost perfectly before shifting an inch to the right to start building the model.  Could this be the loose stepper pulley issue I have read so much about?

Answered my own question.  Stepper pulley was loose.  Back in business!

This video helped:

http://support.zortrax.com/hc/en-us/articles/201002262-XYZ-Axis-Maintenance

Answered my own question.  Stepper pulley was loose.  Back in business!

This video helped:

http://support.zortrax.com/hc/en-us/articles/201002262-XYZ-Axis-Maintenance

Perfect!!!!

I just recently got my serial number to work so I could finally download the latest firmware update. Unfortunately I've formatted the SD card it came with the settings outlined above and put nothing else but the update.bin file on the SD card but its still stuck on the 'Please insert memory card with newest update.bin file'. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Do I really need to go out and find a 2gb SD cards?

Cheers,

Phil

I just recently got my serial number to work so I could finally download the latest firmware update. Unfortunately I've formatted the SD card it came with the settings outlined above and put nothing else but the update.bin file on the SD card but its still stuck on the 'Please insert memory card with newest update.bin file'. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Do I really need to go out and find a 2gb SD cards?

Cheers,

Phil

I'm sure you powered on printer after SD card was installed right? What firmware are you trying to install? 0.0.5 or whatever newest is..

Yep and yep.

Fixed, used FAT format and 62kb and it started working!

Fixed, used FAT format and 62kb and it started working!

I'm having the same issue.

But when I reformat, a "FAT" option isn't on offer, only "FAT32" and some other completely different types.

FAT32 is correct; the card has to be no bigger than 4GB for firmware updates, and it has to be the older (SDHC?) type.

I didn't read all the replies, but i found out why my update would not work. 

I did not delete all my files on the card, so the .bin file was mixed up with other files on the card. After i deleted the demo files from my sd card, and only had the .bin file on there, the printer found and updated it.

Side note - If you are uploading information to your SD card on a Macbook, you have to empty your trash bin in order to complete the delete action and clear your SD card.

Hope that may help anyone out there, or maybe this problem was only exclusive to me.