gilders paste / Rub n Buf

I came from here http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/topic/2363-m200-christmas-printing-gallery/?p=26620...

and was not happy with the adhesion of the gilders paste on the printed object.

I also used a sealer on it but when applying it or while polishing the treated object with an old sock the finish sometimes disappeared.

Julia earlier recommended a specific brand, it was Rub n Buf, I ordered it already and did another case with Rub n Buf in bronze.

When opening the tube the difference was obvious immediately because of the smell.

While gilders paste just has the smell of old fashioned shoe paste, Rub n Buf seems to be the harder stuff (smells like paint / lacquer).

And while gilders paste has very weak adhesion (polished it with an old sock), Rub n Buf could (should) be polished with a metallic brush.

Nice comparison and beautiful finish. I think Gilder's Paste may be better for dry-brush effects and Rub n Buff better for solid colors Nice to know about the adhesion differences.

I don't know anything about dry-brushing, actually this were my first prints that got some kinda post processing at all (beyond support removal).

If I should tell the difference with my hobby printer words I would tell that gilders paste is not good for objects that are used (best example is your phone case), whereas Rub n Buf is perfect for such.

I like the gilders paste colors and looks also, but it would need some sealing to be placed on all day used objects.

I tried acrylic lacquer but that ruins the look of the paste, maybe I have to try other materials such as an resin based lacquer (perhaps some material experts have an idea).

I would tell that gilders paste is not good for objects that are used (best example is your phone case)

Interesting that you can say that Gilder's Paste is not good for my phone case when I myself am quite happy with it, months later :)

Interesting that you can say that Gilder's Paste is not good for my phone case when I myself am quite happy with it, months later :)

Julia,

Did you apply a “top” or “clear coat” after using the paste on your phone.

I got some of this same material for use on my Millennium Falcon metal support frame I’m building and I too noticed it looks great but does come off with handling even after setting up for several weeks.

My bad, I really thought you used Rub n Buf and not 'generic' gilders paste (wich I would tell is not the same)!?

Julia,

Did you apply a “top” or “clear coat” after using the paste on your phone.

I got some of this same material for use on my Millennium Falcon metal support frame I’m building and I too noticed it looks great but does come off with handling even after setting up for several weeks.

Actually, I didn't, because I'm lazy and I didn't have any matte clear coat on hand. It's worn off some, but it's a 5-minute job to hit it again some time with a dry brush. It probably stayed better on the wood material I printed with due to its porosity.

My bad, I really thought you used Rub n Buf and not 'generic' gilders paste (wich I would tell is not the same)!?

No, you're right, I was being a smartass :) The highlights that I hit with Rub n Buff have lasted a lot better than the main color I did with Gilder's Paste.