Give us PLA already! (please)

I'm sure there is a difference between "injection grade" and "extrusion grade" though.. HUGE difference in process.. Ingeo extrusion grade PLA looks to have been discontinued.. http://www.matweb.com/Search/MaterialGroupSearch.aspx?GroupID=1171

OK  Staff there  is no doubt that  ABS is better and PLA but we was told when we purchased the printer that we can use PLA  and I think no mater what you think of it,

we the users of the printer need  you to step up and give us what was promised,  no matter what you think of it.!

no if ands  or buts    

Rafal the things on PLA piece warping on the image  is not really because of shrinking of the material , its because of poor build plate and when a layer come out of buildplate the top layer print on slightly different position and after a few layers its giving this warping effect but its totally different than warping of abs which is  mainly based on shrinking of material.

And for tocix  fume comments i am not sure which fume is toxic or not and if something smells bad it doesnt mean that it's totally more dangerous thna something smelling better but PLA doesn't smell a lot and according to regulations in our school it's forbidden to print with ABS so it's at least making school administrator not happy. I think you should consider producing PLA for your own good. At  least I want to be free to take my zortrax to school :)

So i definitely support Josh and would love to see a PLA printing in Zortrax way.

Yeah, you know better what they should to do ;) I'm waiting on your products  :blink:

I am not a fan of PLA, but it is true that many schools, libraries, etc. either forbid ABS or require a full enclosure with exhaust and/or filtration. Personally I think it's ridiculous given the amount of poisons that are put into our bodies daily by food, energy, and transportation industries, but regardless, it's a significant market segment.

And for tocix  fume comments i am not sure which fume is toxic or not and if something smells bad it doesnt mean that it's totally more dangerous thna something smelling better but PLA doesn't smell a lot

We have laboratory report from fumes analysis (real scenario MELTING not burning: ABS heated to 260C PLA heated to 230C) I think as the only serious report, in future we have to translate it and prepare descriptions then it will be also on the Wikipedia because mainly persons involved with printers which prints only with PLA trying to spread strange stories about ‘dangerous’ ABS and goodness of PLA.

Overall PLA and ABS:

Sweet smell of PLA probably come from: 1,4-Dioxane-2,5-dione-3,6dimethyl = Under Proposition 65, dioxane is classified in the U.S. state of California to cause cancer

Smell of Z-ABS come from: Styrene = To date, no regulatory body anywhere in the world has classified styrene as a known human carcinogen.

But… even melting very big amount of ABS or PLA in closed room, fumes analysis said that amount of toxicity is 100-1000x below regulatory limit.

About Z-PLA printing, it will be available “soon”, we doing tests and printing with success now.

Best Regards

?? Where is this thread going :) ? The CEO says PLA - no way but now staff is saying maybe soon?

I really (really) like the Zortrax, don't know for sure if PET/Z-Glass can replace PLA but I guess it could.

I bought the M200 about 5 weeks ago because I was under the impression it would also be able to print PLA and 25 - 50 micron layers. I don't print PLA much because of reasons discussed above but I do print lithophane lamps on my Up Plus. Those look waaay better from white PLA and yes it does warp way less than ABS.

So I would like Z-PLA very much but then again if PET does the trick I'm not complaining. Carry on.

No offense but "screw PLA" hehehe

Much rather have some of the other upgrades that are to from the beginning words. 

I believe a lot are waiting on one upgrade or another. It will come eventually. Forcing it isnt going to help anyone. 

I do believe there is a trade/sale forum now or was I seeing things.  :o

lol

Cheers and be cool :ph34r:

From my side I understood the metaphor of Rafal about the "Let's face it, the PLA will never be available in Zortrax.". 

Now a question, one more simple plastic like others? 

You buyed the Zortrax M200 why? Because it’s different, it’s better, right?

Then why you want another plastic with more X% of elasticity, or whatever??

Honestly, I prefer the Z-Flex, or other different filament that allow us do different things, because everything what is done with the PLA, we can do it with ABS.

Consider that, What is a success of a company? Quantity or Quality? 

I prefer Quality. 

And my request is, Zortrax, give us new Filaments, Z-Cork (Portugal we have prototypes of filaments), Z-Wood, Z-Metal or whatever… Give us new things with GOOD QUALITY. :slight_smile:

Just my five cents… 

And No, i’m not a reseller of Zortrax… :smiley:

I also prefer ABS BUT I think in some cases PLA could be a nice alternative. It has lower warpage, higher print speed and a glossy finish.

Basically it's good to have options.

Besides, I heard that PLA is made from palm oil, and we know (most of us) how harmful those palm oil plantations are to the environment and djungles, so why would you want to use PLA for the sake of environment anyway?

Besides, I heard that PLA is made from palm oil, and we know (most of us) how harmful those palm oil plantations are to the environment and djungles, so why would you want to use PLA for the sake of environment anyway?

I heard it is made from baby oil!!!  I'm totally against PLA for that reason.

Think of all those baby seals! Unbearable.

PS: wikileaks mentions $tratasys uses ABS made from whale oil. Even worse!

Are you shore you have your fax right?  I read that it is made from Corn or wheat or sugar beets

http://www.cupdepot.com/PLA-FAQ.htm

It's made from kitten marrow.

It's made from kitten marrow.

NOOOO!!!! :o :huh: :blink:

I heard it's made from minions...

only the yellow spools...

1. PLA glues well with Bob Smith cyanoacrylate or WeldOn IPS #4.

2. PLA can be used for lost-PLA metal casting.

3. PLA has less shrinkage than ABS, so it is easier to make larger parts that are dimensionally correct and with less internal stress.

4. PLA paints well if you first spray it with high-build primer.

5. PLA is stiffer than ABS so it is good for parts that you want less flex in.

This amazing full-scale minigun was printed in PLA, glued, and then sanded and painted: 

http://www.therpf.com/f9/3d-printed-minigun-replica-186044/

How about a PLA/PHA composite?

1. PLA glues well with Bob Smith cyanoacrylate or WeldOn IPS #4.

2. PLA can be used for lost-PLA metal casting.

3. PLA has less shrinkage than ABS, so it is easier to make larger parts that are dimensionally correct and with less internal stress.

4. PLA paints well if you first spray it with high-build primer.

5. PLA is stiffer than ABS so it is good for parts that you want less flex in.

This amazing full-scale minigun was printed in PLA, glued, and then sanded and painted: 

http://www.therpf.com/f9/3d-printed-minigun-replica-186044/

How about a PLA/PHA composite?

Very little people actualy invest on their 3d printing filament, PLA/PHA and XT are nice materials but far more tricky than PLA.

So not for the average user...

Just waiting for Worldwide regulations in materials, to stop all that unsafe and cheap Plastics being selled, a more healthy and wealthy market will arise from this, since not everyone will be able to pay for materials.