Hardware versions

Hi All.

I am looking to purchase a 3D printer, and after several solid weeks of research, I have finally decided on Zortrax (though it was extremely close with Ultimaker 2). I am concerned about the lack of a warranty to US owners (even through resellers); I've sent them an email so hopefully staff can offer some assurances about that. However, since I'd be getting the printer from a reseller, I'd most likely not be getting the newest version of the printer, which leads to my primary question: How important is hardware version? The supplier I'm looking at has the V3 in stock; should the differences between V3 and V4 be enough to affect my decision? Any advice is helpful.

Thanks

HI LabRat!

HW version is actually not important from the user's perspective.

Check out this topic: http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/topic/1183-hardware-version-04/

The power of M200's software, don't mind hardware much... ;)

Version 4 has the new Zortrax logo on it.. that's all.  :D   

Thanks all for the advice. The reseller was able to confirm a one-year warranty so my printer will be on its way tomorrow!  :D  :D  :D

I think this is the beginning of a wonder relationship.  (don't tell my girlfriend  :P  )

Thanks all for the advice. The reseller was able to confirm a one-year warranty so my printer will be on its way tomorrow!  :D  :D  :D

I think this is the beginning of a wonder relationship.  (don't tell my girlfriend  :P  )

Your girlfriend will learn to accept it as my wife has.... :lol:  Welcome to the club!!! Where are you getting your printer from? As said before, hardware version is no big deal. I've had mine just over a year now.(V1)  Still going strong!!

well if you ever have questions the community is here, and i work with a US based reseller, you are in good hands. hopefully you buy from Octave, whatever you decide you made the right choice by going for Zortrax, and we hope to see your designs and prints show up in the print area of the forums!

-Michael

Thanks Kyle and Michael. Octave was sold out, and there was no information about any warranty. iMakr had a two year warranty, but they were out of stock and lacked almost all professionalism when I called so I was far from impressed. The guys at Dynamism were professional and helpful, and were able to guarantee a 1 year warranty, so I ended up going with them. 

Octave definitely has the best price on filament though, so I'll probably be buying from there; anybody have any other suggestions for affordable filament?

I like internet forums, so I definitely am planning on sticking around.  :)

Cheap filament can have inconsistencies that translate to poor print quality. I’m not familiar with Octave, so I don’t know for sure if that will be a problem for you. Also, as a heads-up, Zortrax can void your warranty if you use third-party filament; how they would find out in the first place notwithstanding :slight_smile:

I'm not familiar with Octave, so I don't know for sure if that will be a problem for you. 

Octave sells Z-ABS too though so that is good.

Cheap filament can have inconsistencies that translate to poor print quality. I'm not familiar with Octave, so I don't know for sure if that will be a problem for you. Also, as a heads-up, Zortrax can void your warranty if you use third-party filament; how they would find out in the first place notwithstanding :)

Hence why they are moving to chipped cartridges with their next-gen printers. However, I was primarily asking about the cheapest place to get z filaments, though I suppose I could have been clearer about that.   :)

Octave Sell all colors of Z-ABS and ULTRA-T, direct from Zortrax, so there is no question on quality in the filament for the Zortrax, i will not mention the others because as ahmedjaber mentioned, do not use third party filament. but even our 3rd party stuff is good quality, i use it on my other machines at home. as for stock we will be getting more printers soon, we ordered x-numbers (had to redact this one) a month ago and they sold in 2 weeks. we expected it would take a little longer however the printers reputation is too good. 

Cool grey is the only problem we have keeping in stock, that stuff sells like crack, you guys gotta let others get it and stop buying in large quantities! i am not the hype man or sales manager for Octave, i work as a contractor with them and i test all the printers and (most) filament we sell. The Zortrax is the best out of the box experience i have ever had, and trust me i have seen a lot of printers, to this date i have not had a single filament jam or failed print that was a cause of the printer or filament (i messed up one print so it was my fault). that is why i am active on these forums and not any others, this will be my next Printer in a month or two (college tends to suck my bank account dry)

in all of this i think what i am trying to tell you is that i am dedicated to this printer and learning as much as i can from the people here, learning the problems and solutions for this printer, so that i can better provide support to our customers.  

-Michael

*Edit* we will be getting more printers in stock today... a day late but what can you do?