How does autofan work?

Martin explained on shoutbox a while ago how autofan feature works. Unfortunately I forgot and I can't find his message,

Is fan speed changing during the print or is it constant? Which parameters determine fan speed?

It does change speeds during print. Fan speeds up after raft to help with part release and then drops back down. Also speeds up on small parts.

It seems to be an algorithm that looks at the cross sectional area… it definitely changes speed during a print.

Like Kyle allready mentioned, the fan is changing its speed to optimize the cooling on the particular print, depending if its big or small, fan changes its speed.

Does the fan (the bottom one) ever stop? And if not...... I'm guessing it's time to replace it when it does?

From what I've observed... it does stop. So in order to figure out whether or not a fan on the bottom has burned out you have to start a print job and then see if sometime into the job it ever spins.  Would be nice if there was a "Test Bottom Fan" selection in the Maintenance Menu.

Top fan ever stop? I'm guessing "NOT" and I do have one of those I need to replace.

From what I've observed... it does stop. So in order to figure out whether or not a fan on the bottom has burned out you have to start a print job and then see if sometime into the job it ever spins.  Would be nice if there was a "Test Bottom Fan" selection in the Maintenance Menu.

Set auto fan off and slider to 0% and it is off, set it to 100% and it's running always. That way you can test without waiting for 'sometime' in a print job.

If you just use the upper fans socket on the extruder pcb you can test without printing.

If you connect 12 Volts to the jack you can even test without switching the printer on.

Of course the firmware option is a good idea, but you should post it in bugtracker to be processed and not finally overseen.

But the setting "auto" will help also for do lots bridges without supports? can the algorithm recognize then fan must be better 100% and when must be better 0% ??

Does the fan (the bottom one) ever stop? And if not...... I'm guessing it's time to replace it when it does?

Top fan ever stop? I'm guessing "NOT" and I do have one of those I need to replace.

A big +1 on that!