How to store Z-ABS properly

I know it’s very important to store your filament properly especially ABS which absorbs moisture and when it’s heated this moisture is turned to steam bubbles which can deteriorate print quality.

I have some friends which stores spools with rice in buckets or using plastic bags with silica gel packs in. So show me your methods of storing filament.

I bought these… You can reuse them. I still need to make an acrylic case for the ABS though. For now Ziploc bags will have to do. http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-Gram-Silica-Gel-Desiccant-Aluminum-Canisters-4-Pack-Fits-Pelican-Cases-/171014783419?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item27d14681bb

Each spool comes sealed with a silica pack inside. Once open I guess ziplock bags work ok. An acrylic case would be nice!

When I get mine built I’ll post some pics. Probably be big enough for 8 spools.

Just now some magic with extruder design or software settings happen and moisture in filament is not noticed even with spools stored outside of bag since months.

Sometimes I use spools opened even a one year ago and I noted no moisture.

Best Regards

Really??? I’m not going to press my luck… lol

Wow, that’s good stuff! I have a dehumidifier in my basement so it probably wouldn’t get too much moisture down there.

[quote name=Martin Olchanowski]Just now some magic with extruder design or software settings happen and moisture in filament is not noticed even with spools stored outside of bag since months.

Sometimes I use spools opened even a one year ago and I noted no moisture.

Best Regards
[/quote]

What air humidity do you work in? I have 55 - 65 percent humidity ? My city is by the sea.

Which is the property that differentiate zortrax abs from other abs filaments ?

Are you asking about physical or chemical properties?

Usually ABS is known as not very moisture absorbing (less than 1%). Is it z-abs different ?

It can't be much different than other filaments on the market. Main ingridian is still ABS but some aditives are different and in different ratio. :)

I have never had problems with moisture but I store my spools preventive and becouse of dust in LDPE bags.

p4280188.jpg

I've been using these gasketed storage boxes by Sterilite:

http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=803&ProductCategory=251&section=1

They sell a couple of smaller sizes but these hold 8 or 9 spools and seem like the best bang for the buck to me.  They are clear walled so you can see the contents, the gasket in the lid should provide an airtight seal, and they are stackable.  Target sells them here in the US but lots of other stores do as well.  I don't know if they are sold outside the US.

Mike

Moisture is problem if filament is wrongly manufactured using water based colorants or colorant which absorbed moisture then water is trapped inside of filament the normal moisture from the air was never problem for ABS and I never seen Z-ABS or Z-Ultrat to absorb water from the air even here where air humidity can reach 90%.

Best Regards

Moisture is problem if filament is wrongly manufactured using water based colorants or colorant which absorbed moisture then water is trapped inside of filament the normal moisture from the air was never problem for ABS and I never seen Z-ABS or Z-Ultrat to absorb water from the air even here where air humidity can reach 90%.

Best Regards

Good to know! This is the same humidity level we have here (Rio).

My filaments stay exposed all the time, for months or years, but I have far less humidity than southern China or Rio. The only one I bother to dry before printing is nylon.

Old post but I hit a snag tonight on a print.  had an old roll of white ZABS that I hadn't found a use for in about 2 months. I think I opened the spool 3-4 months ago.  

The only thing I can think of that happened is moisture in the filament. I actually cut around the area infected and I pulled up that layer, (it came up very easy).

I even though maybe just stuff accumulated on the nozzle but I didnt notice any before hand but wasn't watching print constantly and that wouldn't account for the last layer to pull up so easy.

You think it could've just bee moisture in that one section of the filament?

Used it all up so I doubt I will see the issue again. lolIMG_1833.jpg

All my filament sits out some as old as 6 months never had a problem not even with my PLA.

Just wondering how other campers store and carry their solar panels when travelling in the camper trailers?

Just wondering how other campers store and carry their solar panels when travelling in the camper trailers?

You seem a bit lost their mate. This is a 3d printing forum, and the thread you posted on is about storing filament. You might get a better response if you try a camping forum. :slight_smile: