Impossible printing "large" pieces with z-ABS

I'm not able to print pieces wich have one of the horizontal dimenssions larger than 50 or 60mm.

When I do it, cracks appear in the borders and sometimes these cracks are too large. 

I suppose that the problem is that the layer bonding does not support the contraction stresses. I tried to print the same model in different positions and the cracks appeared in different places...but they always appeared. 

2015-05-12 16.10.56.jpg

The I got the same models printed by another 3-D printer (cheaper than M200), and they where perfect. That printer uses PLA as a print material, which has a very lower shrinkage ratio. 

I am waiting for a z-HIPS spool (which is supposed to have a lower shrinkage ratio). But I find this material very expensive, and for the money of a z-HIPS spool I could get 3 "standard" spools of PLA. Yes, I know that z-HIPS have better specifications than PLA, but I only need the low shrinkage.

have you got side and front covers?

Side and front cover improve a lot the printing process.

(if you dont have use some cardboard to cover the sides and the front)

No, I don't have side covers yet.

At first, I thought that the problem was the low room temperature. But now the room temperature is above 22ºC. If, According to your profile, you are also writing from Valencia, you know what am I talking about (the "caloret" has come  ;) ).

You still need to use covers, maybe tomorrow (we are expecting +40ºC) you wont need them :D

although the piece you are trying to print is a bit complicated and has lots of risk of cracking im nearly sure that using someting to cover the sides and the front will solve the problem.

i built a cover for my home printer and there is a lot of difference

jeStcafqouhRq.jpg

If this printer needs side and front covers to make acceptable prints, I don't undestand why Zortrax supplies this device without these parts (they offer it as an "extra" part).

If this printer needs side and front covers to make acceptable prints, I don't undestand why Zortrax supplies this device without these parts (they offer it as an "extra" part).

Perhaps someone else has a patent on the "heated build chamber" feature.

Yeah,I never really got that either. But a member on here sells good ones for pretty cheap on ebay.

No, really, someone has a patent.

Stratasys has a patent on it or at least did. If you don't have the cash to spend on either Zortrax's side covers or aftermarket ones, use cardboard and masking tape. I did and it instantly solved my problem with layer separation instantly.

I do however think that the side covers should be talked about at the time of purchase, as well as ABS juice. It would solve so many problems for buyers.