Lifting & Shrinking

Just came back in to a completed print, but look what happened!?

The print lifted away from the support raft and started to shrink and deform.

Support raft is totally square.

I printed the same part out at Half scale for a test and it came out fine, this is the full size part.

Any Advice would be great.

Thanks

Andy M

Hmm, I haven’t seen that happen before but I haven’t printed anything with that much support yet…

I’ve had the base layer print lift up some but I think that was due to the bed not being hot enough yet or the bed not being level. I adjusted the screws some and it seems to be good now.

Yep, had the base layer thing happen also, but this is something new.

I guess there is a trade off between having “easy to remove support” and still having enough adhesion to prevent the part from lifting. The shrinking is just a result of the first couple layers (on top of the support) lifting…this starts a chain reaction.

Also the heated bed can’t really do it’s job anymore since everything happens so far away from it…

You could probably print the part fine by turning it 90 degrees…it would be a material waste, though.

Reminds me of issues I had with the UP… When they were updating the software I think they were also sometimes changing the support adhesion. I remember times when I could not get the support off without breaking stuff. But this is what you would need now for this particular print! :wink:

You should send the file to Martin right away for evaluation.

Good idea Andre, is there a dropbox, or e-mail address that i can send it to?

Sorry, I don’t know. I’m sure Martin will reply here soon.

Send it to support@zortrax.com

Seems option in software as "solid part"or “big solid part” is needed, now everything is done with balance between small art and mechanical parts with “solid part” option it will totally disable second fan cooler and then this kind of parts should be printed correctly.

Also you can decrease infill for very big parts it will solve or minimise the problem as temporary solution.

Is it possible to get .stl file for your model ( support@zortrax.com ) ? Then this issue can be checked and software/firmware tuned.

Best Regards

Martin, did you get a chance to do a test print of my model yet?

Just curious to see if you had a similar result.

This is common with printers that don’t have an enclosure. I bet most, if not all of that warping/lifting would be eliminated if you put sides, front and top on to help keep the heat in.

[quote name=Geisterfahrer]Martin, did you get a chance to do a test print of my model yet?

Just curious to see if you had a similar result.
[/quote]

I have printed it once yesterday with same result, today I will try with disabled fan cooler, looks as too less of adhesion to the support for such of big model.

[quote name=wilsonj]This is common with printers that don’t have an enclosure. I bet most, if not all of that warping/lifting would be eliminated if you put sides, front and top on to help keep the heat in.
[/quote]

This issue happened from software side and first there should be eliminated.

Best Regards

Martin Thanks for the update.

After few tests I just can say that Zortrax need to be handled as a baby :slight_smile: Which means - 21C room temperature is must to be and this have to be moderated 21C without very cold air coming time to time.

We start to working at simple and easy to put enclosure which will reduce this effect (I wish we can get samples before Chinese New Year).

I also noticed that all my prints start to lifting & shrinking very badly if I leave it for night print in office where temperature going to 15C at night.

I printed your part at day with minimal shrinking (20C)

Then I printed this part again at evening and temperature goes to 18C - a little warping

I leaved your part for night print - temperature in office 15-16C - part looks as on your pictures.

So I can say that 21C room temperature is must to be.

Good part in this story is that after one-two months this problem will don’t exist anymore :wink:

Best Regards

I guess you mean warmer weather is coming? :slight_smile:

[quote name=Trhuster][quote=Martin Olchanowski]

Good part in this story is that after one-two months this problem will don’t exist anymore :wink:

Best Regards
[/quote]

I guess you mean warmer weather is coming? :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Yes :wink:

[quote name=Martin Olchanowski]After few tests I just can say that Zortrax need to be handled as a baby :slight_smile: Which means - 21C room temperature is must to be and this have to be moderated 21C without very cold air coming time to time.

We start to working at simple and easy to put enclosure which will reduce this effect (I wish we can get samples before Chinese New Year).

I also noticed that all my prints start to lifting & shrinking very badly if I leave it for night print in office where temperature going to 15C at night.

I printed your part at day with minimal shrinking (20C)

Then I printed this part again at evening and temperature goes to 18C - a little warping

I leaved your part for night print - temperature in office 15-16C - part looks as on your pictures.

So I can say that 21C room temperature is must to be.

Best Regards
[/quote]

That’s a problem for me, my City it’s at 16C all the year, maybe I have to thermicaly issulate the printer with some kind of panels???