M200 - Never heat up, show as having reached its temperature

Hello,

One of our M200 is acting weird, the heating progression is jumping all over the place, it doesn’t heat up and yet it says its temperature have been reached.

I changed the Extruder Cable with Adaptor, Thermocouple + Heater and the hotend with brand new components, the problem is still happening.

Firmware 1.3.1

See video : https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Znk6lElx_wN2_5F3EA9Tvvgk1KsS7P8/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the help

Hi Mathieu,

apart from the extruder cable and heater&thermocouple - the extruder PCB can also be responsible for the given problem (as the PCB is responsible for proper operation of all components plugged into it). As a last resort - the motherboard may need replacement, but we should not suspect this for the time being. However, you can remove the board and visually inspect it (both sides) for any sign of damage.

Best regards,
Karolina

Hello @KarolinaZortrax!

Thanks for the reply. I inspected the mother and the PCB, and it seems alright. I didn’t see any sign of damage. The pins were straight too. See pictures attached to this reply.

Also, the cables going into the PCB seemed fine… I really dont know what the problem could be.

Hi Mathieu,

thank you for the pictures. If the photo showing the motherboard from the front was of better quality, we might be able to examine it more thoroughly, but as everything seems to be fine - I would recommend replacing the extruder PCB first anyway. Just in case - make sure the screws securing the heater&thermocouple in the hotend are tight.

Yeah sorry about that my phone is getting old and take shitty pictures! :sweat_smile:

That being said, Im switching up parts with the other working m200… I switched the thermocouple and now both of them work… which is odd. The printer which received the thermo from the problematic printer reached its temperature a lot faster than the other one… then I directly switched to load material and the temperature was only at 60%…

So Im starting to think the problem is the thermo thingy. :thinking:

Still, it reached 100% and the material loaded fine. Unlike before where the material wouldn’t load because it wasn’t hot enough.

Hi Mathieu,

thank you for the update. I assume both devices have been up and running since you swapped the heater&thermocouple, right? I agree, this is quite unusual, but despite the fact that one device heats up faster than the other one - the most important thing is that both devices are operational :slight_smile: However, it might be a good idea to replace the parts with brand new ones on the second unit as well, especially if they have not been replaced for some longer time.

True, it works for now. I will keep an eye on it if it happens again I will swap new pieces.

Thanks for the assist!

2 Likes