M200 plus plagued with errors

SO I throw a 15 hour print in PC-ABS after 4-5 hours the message FAILSAFE ERROR # 206 temperature error appears on the screen, printer is halted and lights change from red to blue...

Material wasted, clients not happy.

This "new" flagship printer is failing miserably, endstop failures, problems with adhesion( corrected now with zsuite update), Wifi intermitence( corrected also) But I mean, you have already a working printer M200, only few enhancements were done and all of them have been showing issues, how can I guarentee a customer a new experience and force them to pay $500 Extra USD for a device that will not perform?

Please fix all this ASAP.

BTW the mentioned error is not anywhere on your site, so I guess you haven't even detected it...

IMAG6776.jpg

SO I throw a 15 hour print in PC-ABS after 4-5 hours the message FAILSAFE ERROR # 206 temperature error appears on the screen, printer is halted and lights change from red to blue...

Material wasted, clients not happy.

This "new" flagship printer is failing miserably, endstop failures, problems with adhesion( corrected now with zsuite update), Wifi intermitence( corrected also) But I mean, you have already a working printer M200, only few enhancements were done and all of them have been showing issues, how can I guarentee a customer a new experience and force them to pay $500 Extra USD for a device that will not perform?

Please fix all this ASAP.

BTW the mentioned error is not anywhere on your site, so I guess you haven't even detected it...

attachicon.gif IMAG6776.jpg

Hi,

It's probably caused by the heater. 

In the M200 Plus we use the same heater as in the regular M200. If you have heaters in stock, please use them and let me know if the problem is still there.

In the meantime, I'm going to conduct some tests with Z-PCABS. Just to make sure that there is no bug in Z-SUITE or firmware.

Could you send me the zcodex via PM?

BTW, do you use the HEPA cover?

Hi Marcin,

I contacted support nd they suggested to update firmware to 1.1.1 however the printer is refusing to take the update.

I will check with the option you suggest, we do have heaters in stock, but if the heater is wrong are we going to receive a replacement?

Just to update, the problem seems to be solved with Firmware update.

However I was unable to send the file through PM :(

Just to update, the problem seems to be solved with Firmware update.

However I was unable to send the file through PM :(

As you're in contact with one of my team members, please send the file to this person.

We'll check it.

So after 8 months of having The M200 plus today the Display simply went off it turned black and about two hour after the print started the machine stopped printing, I turned if off and the display is totally dead, the blue light under it doesn't blink anymore no messages, nothing .

The machine probably is around 2000 hours (cannot know because the display is dead), cannot print because the display is dead, cannot see any error message because the display is dead!

I have an M200 v2 from 2014, that machine is probably beyond 8000 hours and I needed to replace the display because all V1, v2 and v3 printers had an Issue with the selector knob turning crazy making it almost impossible to operate.

How is it possible that this BRAND NEW FLAGSHIP cannot withstand the countless hours of work It is important to notice that the printer has been ON and working without any pauses for 1 full week now . The same the other 6 M200 printers, and we are currently fullfilling a 500 parts order. So having this printer down puts me with a 12 parts per day delay.

Printer is under warranty It's less than a year since I bought it and I am anxious to know how this will work because local resellers have no parts, and since you guys consider us no longer a valuable member of your reselling network I cannot order the part MYself I wonder what if any of the customers I sold already M200 plus have this Issue will I tell them Oh the part is not available and I cannot replace it.

Looking forward to know If LCD screens have a lifetime or if they are going to be considered consumables.....

1 Like

I've had the M200+ for a few days now. I also have 2 x M200 which I think are great. On the whole I think there are quite a few improvements, but unfortunately it's not all progress. I do get regular Wi-Fi fails (several times a day). As it happens the printer is just behind me so it's not a big issue but running a printer farm might be problematic. The guys at Zortrax are trying to help me out but progress is slow. Of course it could just be my WIFI network, rather than a problem with the printer. I'd like to be able to set a static Wi-Fi IP address, but this appears to not be possible. I've also had the touch screen become unresponsive and the GUI fail. Restarting has been the only option. None of these issues as prevented the prints from completing successfully but has required a reboot before continuing with the next print.

The cooling has improved, and parts are generally printing at a higher quality because of this and perhaps some other improvements. I've had success printing Z-Flex, which was one of the reasons for getting the M200+. I think this will be a useful material. Not really a rubber, more of a very flexible plastic. It does have some elasticity but it is extremely flexible. I wish there were a way to smooth it but it seems very chemically resistant. First print was just spaghetti, I stopped it before the raft had finished. Without changing anything the second was better, and the 3rd was perfect. Almost as if the material had some imperfections to start with but it sorted itself out.

The new hotend is great, with its completely enclosed PTFE cover. No more burnt filament stuck to the heater block and nozzle. This seems to have stopped burn marks on white ABS, which now prints perfectly. I'd given up with white on the M200.  I suspect that there will be a series of Z-suite and firmware updates coming out over the next few weeks and months to iron out the teething problems. At least I hope so :-)

So after 8 months of having The M200 plus today the Display simply went off it turned black and about two hour after the print started the machine stopped printing, I turned if off and the display is totally dead, the blue light under it doesn't blink anymore no messages, nothing .

The machine probably is around 2000 hours (cannot know because the display is dead), cannot print because the display is dead, cannot see any error message because the display is dead!

I have an M200 v2 from 2014, that machine is probably beyond 8000 hours and I needed to replace the display because all V1, v2 and v3 printers had an Issue with the selector knob turning crazy making it almost impossible to operate.

How is it possible that this BRAND NEW FLAGSHIP cannot withstand the countless hours of work It is important to notice that the printer has been ON and working without any pauses for 1 full week now . The same the other 6 M200 printers, and we are currently fullfilling a 500 parts order. So having this printer down puts me with a 12 parts per day delay.

Printer is under warranty It's less than a year since I bought it and I am anxious to know how this will work because local resellers have no parts, and since you guys consider us no longer a valuable member of your reselling network I cannot order the part MYself I wonder what if any of the customers I sold already M200 plus have this Issue will I tell them Oh the part is not available and I cannot replace it.

Looking forward to know If LCD screens have a lifetime or if they are going to be considered consumables.....

Probably the display is dead. Let's continue to work on this issue via e-mail.

The same happened to me today! I bought my M200 plus 6 months ago and now the display won’t turn on and I can’t use it :confused: @Marcin_R could you please help me out?

Thanks.

Hi!
Please contact us via Support Form

I need more Information about the failure.
Is the dead screen the only symptom?
Is it completely dead or you see some grey lines on it?
Do the LEDs in the printer flash (they are in the upper part of the casing)

Please attach a video showing the problem to the Support Form.

Kind regards,

Marcin

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply Marcin. I already contacted you via the Support Form a few days ago.

The printer is with one of your official distributors in Monterrey, Mexico. I should get a diagnostic tomorrow. I could ask them for a video as well. Could you please contact me via email?

The printer also had problems with the endstop switch, I had to enable the Ignore Option in order to print. I could see that the screen was on, but with a black/grey background. The Zortrax logo would never appear.

Hi Gustavo,

I replied to your support form on 13.12.2019. Can you please check your inbox and let me know if you received my message?

Best regards,

Karolina

Hi Karolina, I received a confirmation message the 12th, but I didn’t receive any email after that. Could you please resend it? Thanks.

Hi, your official distributors in Monterrey are trying to contact you to provide you with information you asked about the failure. Could you please help us with that? We really need to get the printer back to work for manufacturing purposes. I also haven’t received any email form you guys. Could you give us a full refund on the machine? It’s been less than six months and we can’t use it. @Marcin_R @KarolinaZortrax

Hi Marcin, Thank you, I have the printer right now.
answering your questions…
–Is the dead screen the only symptom?
Yes, but not sure, without the screen the device cannot be used.

–Is it completely dead or you see some grey lines on it?
I remember had seen gray lines, but now it´s completely black screen.

–Do the LEDs in the printer flash (they are in the upper part of the casing)
Yes, it work normally.

Thank you so much, attentive.

Hi Hernan,

I have just sent a PM. Please, check your inbox.

Engineers conclusions on the cause of the Zortrax M200+ overheating problems.

The M200+ was supposed to be a flagship improvement on the M200 but it has been dogged with technical problems to do with the printer electronics overheating.

The problem with a tool designed for use by engineers it has to have been well engineered, which on first glance it is.

However, it appears that in a rush to bring it to market Zortrax engineers have failed to appreciate the effect of changes made to the ventilation of the electronics, the power supply and the control computer and PCBs.

Unfortunately, the reasons are blatantly obvious to any engineer when you compare the underside of a M200 with a M200+. However, to do this you need to have access to both

Description

• Both models sit on 1.5mm high feet providing for 1900 sq mm of cold air to vent to the underside of the enclosure.
    • This represents 45% of the available external venting for the two cooling fans.
    • This assumed the printer is sat on a hard surface.
  • The 2nd source of air on the M200 is from the power supply exhaust which vents, or is sucked to the underside of the enclosure by the two fans. The area of this is 2250 sq mm. this air passes over what ever the printer is sat on and is recycled.
  • The PCB fan is fixed to the enclosure bottom.
  • The power supply fan is 21mm from its vent, which is off set.

Flow of cooling air

• The unrestricted flow from outside the enclosure, of cool air to the power supply fan has been reduced by approximately 80% by the creation of a non-functional, “pretty” grill.
    • The intake alignment of the fan to the grill is offset by 25mm causing an additional restriction
  • The intake through the PCB fan has been reduced by approximately 80% by the creation of a non-functional, “pretty” grill.

Exhaust of hot air.

The exhaust of hot air from the power supply, to the underside of the bottom plate on the M200 was through a vent 2250 Sq mm. This has been reduced by 100% on the M200+

Air flow

• Most heat comes from the main power supply and the venting for this has been removed completely on the M200+
    • The hot air either passes over the PCBs or is sucked back into the power supply fan which is not directly connected to the outside of the enclosure. Here it is heated even further.
    • This also supplies 55% of the air to the underside of the enclosure which may initially be cooled but over a period of time heat up.
    • The loss of this 55% of venting causes the PCB fan to create a low pressure under the enclosure so warm air from the power supply will flow out the power supply vent and again be recycled
  • The well reported symptoms of failures with the M200+ are after a period of running or during warm weather.
    • If the side vents are restricted then the symptoms will appear sooner.
    • the effect of overheating on all electronics moves from temporary random inconsistencies in performance, to permanent damage to components changing their characteristics and then complete failure.

Solutions

Combinations of the following would significantly improve the cooling in priority order

• the vent for the power supply exhaust in the bottom plate needs to be reinstated.
    • Stopping hot air flowing straight back through the power supply cooling fan.
  • The height of the feet on which the printer stands need to be increased.
    • Reduce the low pressure under the printer caused by
      • the fans
      • the removal of the power supply exhaust vent.
  • the power supply air intake needs to be directly connected to the bottom plate.
    • Removes the opportunity of hot air being sucked straight back into the power supply
  • the restrictions to air flow created by “pretty” grills need to be removed.
    • Reduce the workload on, and increased failure rate of the fans.

This is a recall issue as there is no simple fix and as it is the M200+ is not fit for purpose primarily due to the lack of attention paid to the design of the ventilation to the electronics.

Pictures and diagrams.

TBA

OK, simple, retrofit solution to Zortrax M200+ and M200 overheating problems. Any decent PSU will have an over heating cut out. If you have a print run stop half way though a job this will be the cause. The problem is the PSU on the Zortrax M200+ has no where to get 100% cool air from and no where to exhaust its hot air, so it is recycling hot air and eventually fails. The M200 is slightly better with some cooler air availbe and an aperture in its bottom plate to vent the hot air. Not a perfect solution as this hotter air is then blown over the PCBs by their fan. This is a simple retrofit duct that ensures that the coolest air available is delivered to the PSU and becuse it is from the outside of the enclosure, it is increrasing the pressure inside and helps vent all hot air. It clips into the side vents.

Not rocket science and if you want a version for the M200+ then ask and i will post one.

200 vent v2.zcode (1.3 MB)

1 Like

Hi

I like your mod but i have a M200 plus, please can you share version for M200 Plus ?

Best regards