M300 could be the best 3D printer on earth... but

Hi everybody

I already owned a Prusa i3 MK II and a Raise3D N2 in the past. I didn’t get happy with those machines (always an issue instead of printing) and now I’ve been trying my luck with a Zortrax M300 for about a week.

Before I’ll start with the negative points I want to emphasize how much I love this machine. The frame, the look, the axis-design, the z-material (especially the 2000g spools), the printing quality… almost perfect… almost :wink:

Here we go with my issues:

Hardware

• SD-card-slot should be outside not inside
  • sometimes it's not possible to tighten the 3 bed leveling screws (pushing down the plate to fix the top alan screws below the bed helps sometimes, but I always remove the bed and tighten the screws right at the beginning))
  • spoolholder on the back is not a good idea imho (but no issue see image)
  • z-ultrat and z-abs possible in the near future?

Software (Z Suite v1.10.0, FW 1.1.0)

• print does not separate well from the raft and it is really difficult (almost impossible) to remove small and fragile parts (with z-hips not funny and with z-glass really a pain)
  • support on the other hand does not stick enough to the raft. I have a lot of designs and objects that have large areas with support on the base layers. Can't print them because support gets lifted of very often
  • with external material (I tried different PLAs and polymaker polymax) the print and the raft get melted together completely... absolutely useless like this. Users should have the option to set the distance between raft and print (as it can be done with IdeaMaker) or play with the flowrate of the first layer above raft (Simplify3D)
  • I printed many great shell-objects with the Raise3D N2 but can't do this anymore with the M300 because no support will be printed in "shell-mode". Why?
  • z-hips sometimes get burned (fan issue or software I'm not sure)
  • if bed is full down (after print) and autocalibration is initiated the z-axis tries to go down a little further (horrible sound and definitely not good for the printers health)
  • the slicer "swallows" thin parts sometimes
  • there should be a way to add or remove support manually and to tell the program to allow support only from ground or also from the model itself
  • the whole z-suite is just not performant enough... definitely not state of the art. Simplify3D can slice an object at least 10 times faster
  • large or complex objects bring z-suite even to crash... and believe me I own a damn fast computer ;)
  • why is it not possible to heat bed and extruder at the same time? Heatup process takes just too long

Well you guys from Zortrax... don't get frustrated while reading this. I will keep your machine but I really hope those things (most of it software-issues) will change in the future...

Best wishes from Switzerland and keep up the great work

John

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:4217]

Zortrax could be the best 3D printer on earth,

if we can use 3rd party slicer.

Zortrax could be the best 3D printer on earth,

if we can use 3rd party slicer.

yes definitely... after another weekend with Z-suite I have to say: They are destroing an almost perfect harware with this not so state of the art (to keep it friendly) software....

Yes, I feel your pain.....  A great little printer, unfortunately the achilles heel is the software!

G

It's a sad thing... I really really love this machine... and actually the software has also some great features and the look and feel is great. There are just a few bugs and missing features and a performance boost while slicing needed to bring Z-suite to the same level where the printers already are...

Love your website!  Fantastic photography and photoshop manipulation....  :D

G.

Love your website!  Fantastic photography and photoshop manipulation....  :D

G.

thanks a lot!

yes definitely... after another weekend with Z-suite I have to say: They are destroing an almost perfect harware with this not so state of the art (to keep it friendly) software....

well I have to update this:

after experimenting with the semi-legal g2z-converter and slicing with simplify3d I have to say the magic of Zortrax lies also in the software. the combination of z-suite, hardware and material makes the difference.

I made my decision:

I will stay as much as possible to z-suite and z-material and if absolutely needed I will change to simplify3d (for example very complex objects, shell objects with support etc...) and print it on the M300 but with zortrax material.

so all I have to say after another week with the M300: it's an incredibly great machine... I love all about it!!!!!

keep up the good work zortrax...

Hardware

Inventure has outside slot :wink:

• sometimes it's not possible to tighten the 3 bed leveling screws (pushing down the plate to fix the top alan screws below the bed helps sometimes, but I always remove the bed and tighten the screws right at the beginning))

Its because magnets I believe, however its not so big issue.

Where do you want it to be? Its simple and elegant to hide it at the back. There is a lot of custom spoolholders in our library, you’ll find something that suits you.

You can use M200 spools for now but we’ll consider bringing on bigger ones.

• print does not separate well from the raft and it is really difficult (almost impossible) to remove small and fragile parts (with z-hips not funny and with z-glass really a pain)
  • support on the other hand does not stick enough to the raft. I have a lot of designs and objects that have large areas with support on the base layers. Can't print them because support gets lifted of very often

Would be nice if you could provide me some sample STLs + ZCODEs (for both cases) so I can print it and take a look in a config file if necessery. It could be “just” heating issue. 

• with external material (I tried different PLAs and polymaker polymax) the print and the raft get melted together completely... absolutely useless like this. Users should have the option to set the distance between raft and print (as it can be done with IdeaMaker) or play with the flowrate of the first layer above raft (Simplify3D)
    fair point, but we'll have to add Uber Advanced Settings to squeeze all of it :)

• I printed many great shell-objects with the Raise3D N2 but can't do this anymore with the M300 because no support will be printed in "shell-mode". Why?
    If you could give me some example model that requires support in shell mode, that would be great. 

Same as above, I suspect overheating. 

• if bed is full down (after print) and autocalibration is initiated the z-axis tries to go down a little further (horrible sound and definitely not good for the printers health)
    Its because printer doesnt now exact bed position, it tries to go down at the beginning, no worries - coupler prevents mechanical damages. 

Yeah, usually below 0,4mm thick which are unprintable. 

• there should be a way to add or remove support manually and to tell the program to allow support only from ground or also from the model itself
    Patience, I know its long awaited feature but not everything at once. 

• the whole z-suite is just not performant enough... definitely not state of the art. Simplify3D can slice an object at least 10 times faster
    It could work bit faster, but believe me, we are working on Z-SUITE all the time. ps. S3D is commercial product. 

• large or complex objects bring z-suite even to crash... and believe me I own a damn fast computer  ;)

Yes, I’ve noticed it. Have you got any model as an example?

• why is it not possible to heat bed and extruder at the same time? Heatup process takes just too long

It is being heated at the same time in case when desired heatbed temp is <= 70*, above values could cause material degradation in extruder. 

Well you guys from Zortrax... don't get frustrated while reading this. I will keep your machine but I really hope those things (most of it software-issues) will change in the future...

We don't, trying to get the best of that kind of feedback. 

John

ps. I always envy people their photographic/Photoshop skills, I take my hat off to you, John. 

Hardware

Inventure has outside slot :wink:

Good… please send me one for free!

Its because magnets I believe, however its not so big issue.

But it’s an issue that could easily be fixed. 

Where do you want it to be? Its simple and elegant to hide it at the back. There is a lot of custom spoolholders in our library, you’ll find something that suits you.

It would be great if it could be mounted on either side. 

You can use M200 spools for now but we’ll consider bringing on bigger ones.

Yes but there’s no preset for the M300 in Z-suite.

Would be nice if you could provide me some sample STLs + ZCODEs (for both cases) so I can print it and take a look in a config file if necessery. It could be “just” heating issue. 

I could fix this meanwhile… I guess I was not experienced enough few days ago or a re-calibration fixed it.

fair point, but we'll have to add Uber Advanced Settings to squeeze all of it :)

That would be so coool… go for it :wink:

If you could give me some example model that requires support in shell mode, that would be great. 

That’s actually not necessary. Just imagine any object that needs support. Now choose “shell” and no support is calculated anymore. imho a bug.

Same as above, I suspect overheating. 

And what can i do against it?

Its because printer doesnt now exact bed position, it tries to go down at the beginning, no worries - coupler prevents mechanical damages. 

Okay… good to know.

Yeah, usually below 0,4mm thick which are unprintable. 

Why not using the thinnest possible value for those areas instead of just skiping?

Patience, I know its long awaited feature but not everything at once. 

Okay will wait :slight_smile:

It could work bit faster, but believe me, we are working on Z-SUITE all the time. ps. S3D is commercial product. 

Honestly… we’re not talking about a little bit… I can screen record comparision if needed where S3D is almost 50 times faster. And Z-suite is also a commercial product isn’t it? Actually it’s a package printer AND software.

• large or complex objects bring z-suite even to crash... and believe me I own a damn fast computer  ;)

Yes, I’ve noticed it. Have you got any model as an example?

Just create a complex mesh… you can easily reproduce such crashes and hangs yourself :wink:

It is being heated at the same time in case when desired heatbed temp is <= 70*, above values could cause material degradation in extruder. 

But the moment I choose to print a model… first bed is heated and then extruder… why not together?

We don't, trying to get the best of that kind of feedback. 

Great… as I told you I love your machines and I’m absolutely sure Zortrax deserves to get a leading position in the 3D-printing race  :wink:

John

ps. I always envy people their photographic/Photoshop skills, I take my hat off to you, John. 

Oh thank you very much... appreciated...