Manual or print controlled heating of build platform

I dont know whether this has been requested, but at the very least I would like the heating of the build platform not to be controlled by whether the printing is switched on or off. My main concern here is that if I have to leave a print running unattended I would like the platform heater to turn of after a prescribed amount of time after the print has finished so that if I leave it running until I switch the machine off.

David

I suggested something similar to that in my post under Software and Firmware Updates. They should have a future update where the printer can turn off or some kind of standby mode after a set amount of time.

Initialy I was not worried, but learned fast enough that I print most stuf either overnight, or during office hours, in both cases most of the print jobs are finished way before I'm back. So thinking about an automatic switch of, like a standby killer for TV. The first thing to figure out is the current (power consumption) difference between standby, heating the extruder, the platform and a real print sequence. Unfortunately the difference in current at stages of the printing proces seem to be to small. I measured analog, will give it a digital atempt soon. The initial current after switching on the printer is about 0,5 A, at 230 V. If I manualy chosee to heat the extruder (menu) is goes up to 0,8 A, but falls back as it's reaching it's heating point, and even worse (that is for this purpose) it's being pulsed as it looks to keep it at a steady temperature. Going through a real 3D print job it actually falls below 0,5 A, while the extruder, stepper motors and plartform are all in use. The controlboard of the M200 is driving power in quite a smart way, all of thy outputs to the extruder and platform are modulated as it lloks and not just on/of to keep it around a certain temperature. As soon as I have done a digital check I'll update my post. Obvioulsy there is another way, but I'm worried given the results that it also maybe is a know go, if the platform or extruder is controlled as I believe it would be hard to measure a signal which is steady to allow us to no for sure it is still printing.

Heated bed does shut down after print now.. I believe they are looking to implement a standby mode as well. (shuts off fans and lights)

Heated bed does shut down after print now.. I believe they are looking to implement a standby mode as well. (shuts off fans and lights)

Yep, don't remember which post but Rafal said that they were working on it actively and should be out within the next version or two.

After my inital measurement on power consumption I now did some new digital measurements and gone through a full cycle, the bed indeed is shut down after the print job and at the point the head returns to it's rest position, switching both end switches. Took a look at these, but they only bring a signal down to digital (0), which means it shortcuts them to earth/ground. I'm not sure how Zortrax would implement a full off situation, obviously they can control light, heating, but there's nothing to bring it stand-by in the circuitry as far as I can see. It goes down to about 0,2 Amp @ 230V, which means it still draws about 80 Watts. I mean a standby that switches fan and light won't do much from a power consumption perspective, switching the circuitry would do most.

After my inital measurement on power consumption I now did some new digital measurements and gone through a full cycle, the bed indeed is shut down after the print job and at the point the head returns to it's rest position, switching both end switches. Took a look at these, but they only bring a signal down to digital (0), which means it shortcuts them to earth/ground. I'm not sure how Zortrax would implement a full off situation, obviously they can control light, heating, but there's nothing to bring it stand-by in the circuitry as far as I can see. It goes down to about 0,2 Amp @ 230V, which means it still draws about 80 Watts. I mean a standby that switches fan and light won't do much from a power consumption perspective, switching the circuitry would do most.

The standby would also cut the power to the motors. As it stands now, they are on as long as the printer is on (why they can't be moved by hand). I'm pretty sure shutting those off would have a large impact on standby power draw. 

Good point.. Having constant power to steppers does make a difference..

80 sounded a little high.. I just did the math.. W = V x A   Should be 46 watts. Should be even lower with no power to steppers.

80 sounded a little high.. I just did the math.. W = V x A   Should be 46 watts. Should be even lower with no power to steppers.

Correct.  I have my printer connected to a power switch which has a built in watt meter and it shows between 46 and 48 watts after a print has finished.  It's only around 130W while printing. 

Correct.  I have my printer connected to a power switch which has a built in watt meter and it shows between 46 and 48 watts after a print has finished.  It's only around 130W while printing. 

Good to know.. looking to buy an UPS for the printer..

What does it pull while heating up?

Looks like with bed and extruder both heating up at the same time about 184 watts.. That is going off earlier post of switching on and manually heating extruder.