Messy top surface w/ ABS @ 0.29mm layer height

Hey Zortrax team.

Lovin' the M200,

but noticed that the top surface of my 0.29mm (z-resolution) ABS prints are lacking a complete fill.

Here's a part in question:

zortrax_messySurface_1_zps4x5hcods.jpg

Printing Specs:

ABS

0.29mm Layer Height

Fast Speed

light infill

0 Fan

I believe this to be a software issue,

because I got the same results from two different M200 printers, from two different spools of Black Z-ABS.

(I own a HV02 and HV03 printer)

Close-up shots:

zortrax_messySurface_2_zpsoc7b1jyk.jpg

zortrax_messySurface_3_zpspxzqwzr2.jpg

and just for reference, here is the same model printed w/ UltraT 0.19mm:

zortrax_messySurface_4_zpslljqdb6j.jpg

This UltraT part was printed directly after the poor ABS results. This UltraT part showed a much more desirable top-surface... completely filled in.

I've gone ahead and attached the Z-Code for:

HV03_ABS and

HV03_ULTRAT

Hope that helps.

Looking forward to future software updates!

-Josh!

Kinda hard to to see the UltraT to see if it's different. But since I haven't heard of anybody else having this issue, I would try taking Martin's already offered advice and try a new nozzle before making the claim that it's software.

UltraT printed fine. That was 0.19mm resolution (because UltraT can't print at 0.29mm just yet.

Thanks for the suggestion,

I doubt it's a nozzle issue for the following reasons:

1. I'm good about cleaning/replacing nozzles when I have issues.

2. Both of my machines experienced the same top-surface quality issues w/ ABS @ 0.29mm resolution.

3. UltraT printed just fine on one of those machines (0.19mm resolution) just after the abs part.

I doubt it's a filament issue for the following reason:

1. I printed w/ two different Black ABS filaments and got the same results.

I doubt it's a hardware issue for the following reasons:

1. The UltraT 0.19mm profile part printed just fine.

2. Both of my printers (HV02 and HV03) experienced the same issue at the same time.

3. I haven't noticed this problem for other printing profiles.

So that really just leaves me to conclude it's a software issue that shows itself w/ 0.29mm ABS profile.

We know this issue, and we'll improve the top surface in the Z-Suite software :) It doesn't make sense create fairy tales that is the hardware problem.

We know this issue, and we'll improve the top surface in the Z-Suite software :) It doesn't make sense create fairy tales that is the hardware problem.

I'm very glad to hear that surface finish will be improved. Neither of us were blaming hardware (Josh actually explicitly stated that he thinks it's software) except for my suggestion to try a new nozzle (which was originally suggested by Martin).

We know this issue, and we'll improve the top surface in the Z-Suite software :)

Great!

Thanks guys.

Outa curiosity, what's that part for?

It doesn't make sense create fairy tales that is the hardware problem.

So are you stating that opinions and direct observations by users of your product are "fairy tales".

I would take a great offense to being called such but I happen to like Disney products and Japanese Anime.

Regards

Drew

So are you stating that opinions and direct observations by users of your product are "fairy tales".

I would take a great offense to being called such but I happen to like Disney products and Japanese Anime.

Regards

Drew

I just want to say, that we have the best printer on the market because we listen our customer opinions and we also use our printers in our daily work :)

Regards

Drew

Drew, Zortrax actually have been pretty responsive to user input over the past year or so. In one case, that of "ghosting" on vertical walls, I had assumed that the root problem was resonances in the mechanism, and was pretty astonished when they made a quantum improvement purely through software, without noticeably reducing print speed. I greatly respect your experience and opinions, and on this issue you may well be correct, but it's their baby and their company and they have to do what they think best, based on their own knowledge, experience, resources, and business considerations in addition to user input - a difficult and narrow path to walk. There's not much point in jumping up and down because they didn't immediately redesign the Z-axis based on your comments. Time will tell; let's see what the next round of software brings - if it ever comes out ;)

Julia,

you may be right but if I had been “jumping up and down” you might have felt the tremors.

Yes i made a joke there and if we ever get the opportunity to meet you will understand.

I don’t remember trying to order Zortrax to do anything, I have always attempted to be kind, even when it’s late and I’m tired.

I do understand business is complicated and have defended some decisions companies have been forced to take.

I hope these snowball fights have not soured our brief remote interests in this field.

Hopefully optimistic

Drew

No souring at all, just friendly banter :) I am also hopefully optimistic!