Metal coating: metal powder wood glue mix.

I just posted something about printing models and coating them in the Print Room (http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/topic/1461-lion-sculptures-and-awesome-metal-coating-technique/#entry19682) but thought to also post some info here.

I was experimenting lately with painting and coating models, I wanted to try to make a metal mix with glue or (latex) paint when I stumbled upon this post by Dizingof: http://www.3dizingof.com/3D-Printing/2015/01/metal-coating-3d-printed-plastic-designs-by-dizingof/

He tried all kinds of glues and found the simplest way is to add metal powder like bronze to (carpenters) wood glue. You know, that simple easy to find non toxic PVA glue.

At first I smoothed all models with acetone and applied base coating (spray paint) but I guess simply painting with metal paint straight after printing works too. The HIPS lions I posted in the Print Room had no base coat, only metal and wood glue which you can do at your desk.

After the parts have at least two coats and have dried you could apply patina (chemicals easily found online) or start buffing them with 0000 steel wool immediately.

I used some nice patinas, they really make the models look great and I coated them with matte clear spray paint to protect the finish.

Please try this technique, it is very easy and gets very satisfying results.

Awesome, thanks! Dizingof rules, I miss him on Thingiverse.

Yes me too, he has the greatest models to test the quality of your printer. He is now busy experimenting with electroplating but this paint/coating I like so much because you can do most of the work inside, you don't need a lot of materials.

I always found that his designs, no matter how complex and difficult-looking always printed really well.

Exactly, some people thought they were for fun or high res printers and not for printing on machines like the Up (including him I believe) but with a good printer they are possible.

Haha. Julia, Dizingof is touched by the fact you miss him on Thingiverse: https://twitter.com/dizingof/status/585051849117401089

He posted a picture of the metal coated lions too. I'm honored :)

Ha! I don't know if he still does, but for a while he used this photo of me and my print of his "Fractal Blast Vase" on his site(s). One of the very first things I printed on my first Up in 2012.

julia%20%26%20fractal%20blast_400.jpg

And if I click on the Zortrax forum link in his tweet post, it takes me to an adult dating site with a photo of a woman lifting her shirt up...

Yes I saw the picture before. I'm also on the Up forum. Yes he does have the picture at least on Twitter, check the link and your picture is on the left :)

And if I click on the Zortrax forum link in his tweet post, it takes me to an adult dating site with a photo of a woman lifting her shirt up...

That is a known problem that I believe has to do with the forum (bug). I thought I was the only one but Sam had the problem too.

All kinds of websites have that bug, only the first click will take you to that Spam site..

Adult "Dating" site?? LOL   First time I clicked it, it took me somewhere else.. Second time it worked..