Michelangelo Buonarroti Bust

here is another print. 

I have cut the model (which I sculpted in Mudbox) in 3 pieces and that I am planning to hopefully put together. Unfortunately I already know I will be running in a bunch of problems, first of them the warping as I try to line up the 3 parts together. So far I printed the head and half of the bust.

The bust presented a weird problem. The zcode is all fine and nice looking but the final print not so much. Towards the end it smeared layers and also printed a support (which in zcode is behind the neck) all alone in a corner of the platform and only towards the end of the printing process (all of the pieces take 1,5 half day to print). So what to say I am excited and frustrated as the same time :)

IMG_3523copy.jpg

IMG_3524copy.jpg

IMG_3525copy.jpg

IMG_3526copy.jpg

Awesome work!!!!!

back in business :)

Frankie test print 

frankie.JPG

frankie2.JPG

back in business :)

Frankie test print

frankie.JPG

frankie2.JPG

and the bigger version (against the smaller of about 18-20 cm ) printed in 3 pieces

That's awesome great job!!

What's the final size of the large one?

thanks!

without the base that  I still need to print , the large one is 33 cm (about 13 inch) tall

Did you sand or vapor bath at all?

sanding and several coats of primer

Nice you did an amazing job this is one of my favorite all time prints!

Sorry with all the bugging questions

But Last set of questions.

Did you use filler primer or regular?

What grits did you use and did you sand the print after applying primer or did you sand the layer lines first then apply primer followed by some light sanding?

I have no idea that there are different primer :) so I guess it's just a regualar one?!

I have used multiple grits from 150 to 400  and I've sanded it between the coats of primer until I was satisfied. It some parts , where for instance snapping off the support took away too much I had filled in with some white putty

I m new to doing this kind of stuff...so it's kinda of a learning process for me as well, about both products to use and technique.

I wish 3d printing was 'Perfect' :D

I have no idea that there are different primer :) so I guess it's just a regualar one?!

Yep filler primer is a thicker primer that's available in aersol and by the gallon typically called high build primer.

The aersol version is capable of filling in up to a 1/16 of an inch and it's self leveling and the non aersol is capable of a 1/4" of an inch

but not recomended. Once applied you can sand with 320 to 400 and get a smooth surface even with layer lines as it easily fills them in.

It's a quick method to get a smooth surface if you need it.

I m new to doing this kind of stuff...so it's kinda of a learning process for me as well, about both products to use and technique.

I wish 3d printing was 'Perfect' :D

Looks like your learning well!

I usually apply a vapor bath with a steamer but you loose sharp lines =/