Missing Screws (more)

If you were installing a stepper motor on a device would you only use two of the screws? I don't think so. Why is Zortrax doing this? This seems like shoddy work. If anyone can explain why this is acceptable, please enlighten me.

Thanks, Guy

..Furthermore, although only two were enough, I will not put in that position, but crossed!

Two are enough but mine have four, four looks more solid but I think is no difference between two or four this motor have zero load from Z side and only rotary force

ok , but the other step motor have 4 screws, it cost some cents,I do not think so much affect the price and weight, it is not a racing bike;)

You can ask Zortrax support about it I remember long time ago on the forum when someone need to replace Z coupler then Zortrax shipped special screwdriver to reach this screws for sure they can provide new screws and screwdriver

uhh Zortrax support, I write them about the power switch on, I didn't have any reply :(

A special screwdriver is not needed to install the screws. Just unbolt the Z-axis bottom retainer, slide it up and put some kind of block under it. The screws are M3-80mm socket head cap screws and are accessed with a 2.5 mm hex key, also named Allen, Unbrako, Inbus, brugola, etc.

Guy

If you were installing a stepper motor on a device would you only use two of the screws? I don't think so. Why is Zortrax doing this? This seems like shoddy work. If anyone can explain why this is acceptable, please enlighten me.

Thanks, Guy

At the moment all of the printers have two screws installed out there so that when the maintenance of motor or Z-Coupler is beeing performed, there is no need to disasemble the whole Z axis. That part needs precise calibration, so we prefer to leave only two screws out there to make the exchange of the parts mentioned above easier. Also, the motor itself is not loaded by the Z axis so four screws wouldn't help in that case but interfere.

Rubbish!  The motor is loaded by the Z axis. What do you think  makes the bed rise and fall. Also, just installing only two screws makes maintenance easier for whom?  It takes about two minutes to be able to put in the two extra screws.

Rubbish!  The motor is loaded by the Z axis. What do you think  makes the bed rise and fall. Also, just installing only two screws makes maintenance easier for whom?  It takes about two minutes to be able to put in the two extra screws.

I think you don’t understand function of Z axis support parts it keep everything straight and take whole load from the motor it should be measured with gauge after assembled or special jig should be used, messing with it using only basic tools is just asking for troubles small displacement can turn into huge displacement at prints or additional berings wear I assembled hobby CNC which using ball screw and support parts it is not easy to calibrate it staight without getting tight spots

I do understand the Z axis supports take the load from the bed but the Z axis still has rotational loads. I did nothing to compromise the Z axis alignment.

Thanks, Guy

I can confirm that my M200 has also only 2 screws in the front position.

Confirmed - 2 screws here too.

The torque loads are so low on the z stepper… It would even work with a single screw…no worries.

I have an older V1 with 4 screws and it is a pain to get to the 2 rear ones. I can understand why they just leave them out now.

Nevertheless I would recommend to either remove the 2 rear holes in the future or close them with snap in plastic caps to avoid the inevitable question about missing parts…

There is a post showing multiple new printers with only 2 screws (which I believe is where this whole outcry may have started from). I have worked on many M200's in the last 9 months and found that some of the brand new machines had an issue with the Z axis binding up because the screws were too tight. simply loosening the screws just a small amount make the whole system run better and did not affect the print quality at all. 

I do like the whole idea of people seeing this 2 screws thing on the printer after months of having it like so and being upset about it. I am just sitting here looking at my machines and thinking to my self "it run's better than almost every other machine in this market, so I don't give a crap about how it is assembled so long as it works better then everything else"

If you want to drop 2 extra screws in that is fine, I don't think you are going to notice any changes in quality.

I changed the Z screw on one of mine recently, and added the 2 extra screws while I was at it.

There is no fine adjustment in that area, just put the parts in but not fully tightened, then cycle the platform up and down a couple of times. If it's all moving freely, tighten them up and cycle a couple more times just to be sure there's no binding.

My second machine has only the 2 screws, and as adding them to the first machine made no difference I just left it that way.

I don't believe there's any fancy reason or a downside either.

It's just easier for them to assemble it that way.