Model material (PLA) stuck in feeder gear - how to remove?

Hi, I can’t find any instructions on how to access the feeder gear for the filament - it is clicking and not loading/unloading any filament because a piece of PLA is stuck in there. Pushing a piece of PLA down into the Bowen tube hole hasn’t worked either, still clicking. Help!

Thanks

You must heat the nozzle, unscrew it and then remove the filament residue with a small tweezer.

If this is not enough to solve the problem, you should unmount also the hotend and then remove any residue of filament from it.

Mount again everything and try to load a filament, now everything should be ok.

Hi, I can’t find any instructions on how to access the feeder gear for the filament - it is clicking and not loading/unloading any filament because a piece of PLA is stuck in there. Pushing a piece of PLA down into the Bowen tube hole hasn’t worked either, still clicking. Help!

Thanks

Hey there! 

You should check out this manual: https://support.zortrax.com/extruder-maintenance/. 

You can send us some pictures to better understand how big is this piece of material and where exactly it’s stuck. 

Thanks all but I removed the hotend but there must be a piece of PLA amongst the gear because it's still clicking.

I've attached a picture of how far I've got but I don't know how to remove the extruder cover - please can anyone tell me how to disassemble it from here? Thanks

Thanks all but I removed the hotend but there must be a piece of PLA amongst the gear because it's still clicking.

I've attached a picture of how far I've got but I don't know how to remove the extruder cover - please can anyone tell me how to disassemble it from here? Thanks

Hi Adam,

I've answered your e-mail. Please, check your inbox.

I've now got access to the extruder gear - it was caused by old PLA breaking off (which was included with the printer and had been sitting with it until the printer sold - it was manufactured in Oct 2017).

I'd like to thank Marek for his help with guiding me through the disassembly, he was very helpful.

I've attached pictures of the cause and what was required to open the extruder - not for the faint hearted!

Unfortunately after removing the stuck PLA piece I can see that the force of the extruder trying to turn has caused the extruder gear to crack - all of the way to the middle and all of the way down the side.

I guess I'm going to have to wait until I get a new printhead from Zortrax!

I will update this thread once I have the new printhead to confirm it's working

I contacted Zortrax and they said the crack in the extruder gear is supposed to be there.

After reassembling and doing a successful nozzle alignment calibration I went to do a test print - then it gave me 'error 118' twice in a row - right heater failure (which is the second time this has happened, I needed a replacement heater last time and it looks like I'll need another one now!) - see picture

Unfortunately after removing the stuck PLA piece I can see that the force of the extruder trying to turn has caused the extruder gear to crack - all of the way to the middle and all of the way down the side.

I guess I'm going to have to wait until I get a new printhead from Zortrax!

I will update this thread once I have the new printhead to confirm it's working

I contacted Zortrax and they said the crack in the extruder gear is supposed to be there.

After reassembling and doing a successful nozzle alignment calibration I went to do a test print - then it gave me 'error 118' twice in a row - right heater failure (which is the second time this has happened, I needed a replacement heater last time and it looks like I'll need another one now!) - see picture

Adam,

As I mentioned in my e-mail, please check all the connections on the motherboard and let me know about the results.