Most popular filament colors

A David structured light scanner will be the cheapest option for what you are wanting to do. Although much post processing work would be needed once you have the scan.

Otherwise I don’t believe you can buy a scanner under about $40K that will scan small objects accurately and quickly, then import the model into a CAD package for further modification.

It really depends on what you want to scan as to how much you need to spend. Among other things I scan and reverse engineer for a living. You can get a very respectable result using a 20k USD structured light scanner. However the cheap ones 1-2k or less are pretty much junk. Only really usable at the hobby level but not for small stuff because they don’t have the resolution. 20k is still expensive though :frowning:

You could always build your own using David laser scanner. That can be fairly low cost, but not as easy to use as a 20k scanner.

It really depends on what you want to scan as to how much you need to spend. Among other things I scan and reverse engineer for a living. You can get a very respectable result using a 20k USD structured light scanner. However the cheap ones 1-2k or less are pretty much junk. Only really usable at the hobby level but not for small stuff because they don't have the resolution. 20k is still expensive though :-(

You could always build your own using David laser scanner. That can be fairly low cost, but not as easy to use as a 20k scanner.

I was probably thinking $AUD pricing. Over here even an Artec spyder is $30K+ ( Eva is $23K)

What SL scanner are you using ?

Maybe a Capture by 3d systems?

Roland has also some options

And there is also steinbichler

And

http://www.lmi3d.com/products/hdi/100-series/

Those are really under 40K usd

I use LMI products. I’m the UK reseller for LMI. I also manufacture a very high resolution scanner called the MechScan.

I use LMI products. I'm the UK reseller for LMI. I also manufacture a very high resolution scanner called the MechScan.

That does not look cheap.. I like the macro one!! I have the perfect computer to test it out for you.. lol

Mech, would you really recomend then the HDI range for engineering?

I have used for years GOM scanners, founf them very easy to use and software algorithms for mesh poligonization are excelent.

How is LMI software?

They look nice. The HDI 100 series but like they say, If you have to ask...you can't afford it. hahahaha

Personally, I think the LMI software is great. However, although I’m a reseller, I’m not a sales guy so I never tell potential customers we are better (because we’re not) than any other make, just different. I think GOM are excellent scanners but not for every application. I think in Automotive their data processing algorithms are hard to beat but the majority of my customers are in research and archaeology where our processing works a little better. I do have several customers in engineering and I do a lot of reverse engineering myself. At the end of the day much of the quality is down to the user not just the equipment. I insist that anyone who buys from me evaluates at least 2 other systems so I can be sure they are making a decision based on an informed opinion. There are loads of YouTube clips showing FlexScan 3D (our software) if you’re interested. Please PM me if you’d like any more info. I don’t want this post to be viewed as a sales pitch :slight_smile: I will say though that in the UK the 100 series scanners are £11k + VAT, so still quite expensive compared with the cost of a 3D printer. That’s why I recommend people who are interested to have a play with David Laser scanner. It’s a good starting point. There are other options based on photogrammetry like auto desk 123D and ‘scanner killer’ (and a few others) that are free or virtually free. They can be frustrating to use though.