Most popular filament colors

Hello all. I was curious on the most popular colors that people want stuff printed in.

I prefer yellow or black but I'm starting a business and curious on those that are already printing for customers, what color they prefer their projects printed with?

Need to order a few colors and have in stock so I can add to website and also add the colors Im not geting as special order. lol

Thanks guys.

Grey <3

http://www.thingiverse.com/make:79580

http://www.thingiverse.com/make:78245

Z-ABS_cool_gray.png

Cool grey and black for mechanical parts. That is what I get the most requests for.

Check 3d hubs You need always White, Grey and Black, but if you are getting into the bussiness scheme you need full availability. Because you just never know what people may want.

Yes there is a most wanted list but those are the ones to have a minimum stock and that number will appear after a year of service.

To have the special order scheme is not very adequate for a bussiness. If you are doing it then do it well, if not better keep it as a hobby.

The industry growth has been very generous with people that wakes up one day and says, OH I will buy a 3d printer and start my own bussiness but there's a lot of stuff around to be considered and eventually this spin off activities will be regulated.

Do you already have the Software licenses?

Appropiate training in CAD, a certification at least?

A good Mesh repairing tool?

An SME certification program has already been implemented in United states for guarantee proficiency of human resources involved. Have you checked?

Just a bit of the tip of the iceberg. But as an advice keep at leat one roll of each color in stock.

This might help: http://www.3dhubs.com/trends#color

Grey is really low on the list. 

Thanks guys. 

Thanks ahntila

That sme (subjet matter expert) certification is just bs. Another way for certification companies to make more money on an emerging business. Most of those certifications are a joke. I know I have been certified in a few things and couldnt believe the minimal proficiency needed to pass them. lol

I also use open source software and have purchased software for my business but most of the Cad work will be done by another company I have worked with before.

I can see using a 200,000$ 3d printer it would need some experience and training but most printers and businesss that print on a small scale like me need none of that. I plan on taking some business away from UPS since they already have a backlog on the 3d printing stores they have started. 

The reason I have a 3d printer is to produce my keychains to sell but I am still waiting on an upgrade for polycarbonate to start producing them for resale. I might as well make a couple dollars in the meantime because the way it looks it may be a year or even two until I the M200 gets the upgrade for that material.

Plus there is only me in my comapny and my investor so I'm kinda all set. If I ever do get bigger and need more printers and so on, then that would be a welcomed obstacle that I will love to overcome. hehehe

Cheers

Thanks Erik, that link was very helpful!!

Thanks guys. 

Thanks ahntila

That sme (subjet matter expert) certification is just bs. Another way for certification companies to make more money on an emerging business. Most of those certifications are a joke. I know I have been certified in a few things and couldnt believe the minimal proficiency needed to pass them. lol

I also use open source software and have purchased software for my business but most of the Cad work will be done by another company I have worked with before.

I can see using a 200,000$ 3d printer it would need some experience and training but most printers and businesss that print on a small scale like me need none of that. I plan on taking some business away from UPS since they already have a backlog on the 3d printing stores they have started. 

The reason I have a 3d printer is to produce my keychains to sell but I am still waiting on an upgrade for polycarbonate to start producing them for resale. I might as well make a couple dollars in the meantime because the way it looks it may be a year or even two until I the M200 gets the upgrade for that material.

Plus there is only me in my comapny and my investor so I'm kinda all set. If I ever do get bigger and need more printers and so on, then that would be a welcomed obstacle that I will love to overcome. hehehe

Cheers

Thanks Erik, that link was very helpful!!

UPS stores have 3D printers? Where you at? I might have to start checking around me to borrow some business... lol

Hello all. I was curious on the most popular colors that people want stuff printed in.

I prefer yellow or black but I'm starting a business and curious on those that are already printing for customers, what color they prefer their projects printed with?

Need to order a few colors and have in stock so I can add to website and also add the colors Im not geting as special order. lol

Thanks guys.

As ahntilla said Black, white and grey are most popular. But really if you are starting a business just get all the colours. At $19USD a roll it isn't much in the scheme of things ~$250. 

Yeah. I ordered some Zhops and Zglass. Gotta order colors yet but shipping is so much so Ill order that next month. My site wont go live until proble end oof next month anyway. 

Kyle I'min Florida but UPS is putting 3d printers in (I think they said 1500) test stores around the country and the ones that have them are already backed up, so it is a good time to market and get the peeps that are waiting for weeks to print novelty and prototypes.

I saw on 3D hubs (setting one up myself) the price they are charging and, oh my!

I did some calculating on cost per gram and there is a hell of a profit to be made. The key is marketing and location. Luckily there isnt many printers around me, or atleast Zortrax printers and the quality on ours compared to the others are noticeable. Atleast thats what I see when I see them in pictures because I only have a M200 so I cant so a sight on hand comparison. 

I shuld have my Structure Sense scanner this week so that will help a lot. Can't wait to do replicas or replacement parts without messing around with trying to make it from nothing on Blender. 

I'm sure it will need some tweaking the files but it will give the form and just have to fill it in or adjust a few things. I am thinking the scale will be a learning curve but it shouldnt take long to get it worked out.  :D

you'll find out that sense is not suitable for copying small parts and the work required to fix an item scan will be more than designing it from scratch, at least for the level of detail that is required for replacement parts or any print to be decent on fdm printers. for example sense is ok for copying a large item for color print on powder based printers because texture will give the detail on the quite generic mesh.

on the other hand it will be perfect for scanning people's busts and perfectly print them with your zortrax

Well voudas. You ruined my day! Lol

I think with the tweaking and new apps being developed it will become good for what I need. Since I’m just a lazy old American (hehe) im still a novice at 3d software so even having an outline to work with will help me.

I paid 300 to get an .stl file if my keychain then I worked on that base to get what I want but if I had to do the generalized outline by myself it wouldn’t be as nice as it is now.

From the scans I saw online that people did with the sense, hopefully it will be ok.

I have a structure sensor. Details smaller than 5mm or so with sharp edges are not recognized. As voudas said, it works fantastic with bigger items like people. I’ve made some beautiful busts and faces. I even scanned a real airplane fuselage section. But it will not help you in any way to reduce your CAD time for small engineering parts.

Like with Zortrax, Structure sensor is beta like. Upgrades are coming as developers develop. I just saw on their forums about different lenses that pick up greater detail and make nice files. 

So I hope I wont have to wait too long for better detail than you owners are talking about. Ofcourse its seems like forever for certain other upgrades on other things(cough). 

lol

well, the specifications of the sensor cant be overcome so easily, there is an actual limitation of the minimum feature size this technology can can handle. but for it's cost and the range of applications that it can be really usefull for, it's a very cool gadget. and the close up lenses make it much more difficult to be handled, as they greatly shorten it's depth of field. been there, done that  (i have a primesense carmine 1.09 and a sense)

Thanks for the help. I got my Sensor and checked it out and it will be a while in my eyes until it gets where I need it to be. I wanted to believe otherwise but I decided to return it.

Now I am in search of one to fit my needs, again. lol 

I probably wouldnt have returned it but I messed up ordering and didnt get the skanect pro with the order and an extra cable so instead of making it easy they wanted me to return everything and after refund to repurchase the package.

It would've been a lot easier to just pay a few bucks and return one cable with no refund to cover the bundle cost but luckily they want to do it the hard way (otherwise I would've kept the thing and started learning software to develop an app for my needs haha). 

I guess we all live and learn. I have learned a bit too much in my time. ;) hehehe

A David structured light scanner will be the cheapest option for what you are wanting to do. Although much post processing work would be needed once you have the scan.

Otherwise I don't believe you can buy a scanner under about $40K that will scan small objects accurately and quickly, then import the model into a CAD package for further modification.

Yeah. I saw that but no mac software. I will not buy a pc to do what I need. Id rather go without or wait. lol 

Thanks. The David looks nice for what I need too. 

Ever heard of parallels software?  ;)

I have a PC in my mac... it works really well.

Yes  have heard of parallels. I use to have windows, 1997-2005. I will not spend a dime on Microsoft. I am a very stubborn person when it comes to that, oh and I refuse to shop at Walmart. lol

Not that I will be hacked but I'm sure you have heard of the Sony hack. After Sony was hacked they couldnt use any computer they had because they wouldnt work, except for the couple of Macs they had in the office, all windows computers were screwed.

besides even if I were an open minded person to give Windows another try, By the time I would buy parallels, windows os and antivirus software, it would not be cost efficient. 

No thanks. I will stick to my Mac and wait for mac minded businesses to provide me with what I need. If I have to wait until I'm dead then I will be a dead principled man. hehehehe