Move Touchdown point

Zortrax M200   Z-suite version 1.4

Hi All,

After 13 month of continuous use, and some over zealous cleaning, the centre of the silver square

where the nozzle initially touches down on the platform is wearing down to the substrate.

I am expecting a non-contact to happen soon, and the nozzle forced through the platform, or bent rods.

Is it possible for the software people to issue a tweak that sets the touchdown point about 10mm away from the centre of the silver square on the platform ?

thanks  dave

I would assume this is hardwired in the firmware. At least it doesn't look as if it is somewhere in the ZCode. There definitely is no ZCode command to perform the touchdown so I guess it's performed automatically when either the extruder is heated up or the 1st "MoveToStart" commands are executed. There are also no commands to move to an explicit X/Y position(other than the start position) before the 1st model dependent move.

Congratulations. I took me only a few month to come to this point.

A possible solution is to put there an solder point and sand it a little bit to make the surface flat.

Another solution is, to buy a alloy glue tape and put it appr. a 1cm x 1cm over the missing metal area (e.g. https://www.voelkner.de/products/523113/Aluminium-Klebeband-Components-AFT-2510-Silber-L-x-B-10-m-x-25-mm-Acryl-Inhalt-1-Rolle-n.html?ref=43&products_model=Y02694&gclid=CM3tjsPkptECFde6Gwodlr4F1w  )

This fits for a few prints and must than be renewed.

What firmware are you using? Quite some time ago they introduced randomization of the touch points - is your printer not landing in a slightly different spot with each print? Or is it not truly random and the accumulated wear on multiple points is starting to show?

I know it nice for things to last, but after 13 months of continuous printing I wouldn't be too upset if I had to replace the bed. 

Zortrax M200   Z-suite version 1.4

Hi All,

After 13 month of continuous use, and some over zealous cleaning, the centre of the silver square

where the nozzle initially touches down on the platform is wearing down to the substrate.

I am expecting a non-contact to happen soon, and the nozzle forced through the platform, or bent rods.

Is it possible for the software people to issue a tweak that sets the touchdown point about 10mm away from the centre of the silver square on the platform ?

thanks  dave

I think I have removed some 400-500 models in 18 months, and about 4-5000 printhours, and about 30-35 kgs of material. The nickel squares are pristine and the board looks almost as new. What are you guys using to remove your models???? I use the the spatula included in the box and clean with acetone and a soft cloth. 

What firmware are you using? Quite some time ago they introduced randomization of the touch points - is your printer not landing in a slightly different spot with each print? Or is it not truly random and the accumulated wear on multiple points is starting to show?

Hello Julia,

The nozzle always touches down in the exact same place.

Don't know what firmware it has, or how to change it  !!

Printer works fine otherwise.

I think I have removed some 400-500 models in 18 months, and about 4-5000 printhours, and about 30-35 kgs of material. The nickel squares are pristine and the board looks almost as new. What are you guys using to remove your models???? I use the the spatula included in the box and clean with acetone and a soft cloth. 

I use the same spatula, and a green nylon kitchen scourer pad to keep the heated plate surface rough.

All works well, it is just that the nozzle is beginning to damage the square.

I know it nice for things to last, but after 13 months of continuous printing I wouldn't be too upset if I had to replace the bed. 

It's £60   :o

Hello Julia,

The nozzle always touches down in the exact same place.

Don't know what firmware it has, or how to change it  !!

Printer works fine otherwise.

It should touch in a slightly different location each time. You can check your firmware version under the "Info" menu. You can get the latest version (1.0.5) from the downloads section of the Zortrax website.

Also, a green Scotch-Brite scouring pad can remove the nickel plating on the perfboard. You can use it on the white parts, but go easy on the contact areas.

It should touch in a slightly different location each time. You can check your firmware version under the "Info" menu. You can get the latest version (1.0.5) from the downloads section of the Zortrax website.

Also, a green Scotch-Brite scouring pad can remove the nickel plating on the perfboard. You can use it on the white parts, but go easy on the contact areas.

Thanks for that.

Current firmware is 0.0.8

hardware version is  04

Will it change other things if I upgrade firmware to 1.0.5  ?

Can I change back to 0.0.8 if I don't like the changes ?

Changing to 1.0.5 you will get nicer-looking menu graphics and new features like fan check and re-print. Yes, you can revert to 0.0.8, no problem.

It's £60   :o

They go up and down, I picked up a replacement for £24, but they are regularly around £35

https://www.dream3d.co.uk/product/zortrax-m200-perforated-plate-v2/

Basically, avoid the Zortrax store when buying replacement parts, it is a lot more expensive that resellers. 

They go up and down, I picked up a replacement for £24, but they are regularly around £35

https://www.dream3d.co.uk/product/zortrax-m200-perforated-plate-v2/

Basically, avoid the Zortrax store when buying replacement parts, it is a lot more expensive that resellers. 

Thanks Printz

I will look into that.

Changing to 1.0.5 you will get nicer-looking menu graphics and new features like fan check and re-print. Yes, you can revert to 0.0.8, no problem.

Thanks for the info. Julia.

I have now installed 1.0.5   will see how it runs !

Where can i get older firmware versions?