Nesting Not Allowed

Z-Suite should allow nested but non-interfering parts on the platform; other slicers can do this.

Yeah, I agree. I couldn’t nest 2 items close to one another even though the actual parts weren’t touching so I had to combine them in the cad file and re-import STL.

I’ve had to do that too. It’s that darn box around it… :slight_smile:

Easy to solve, that happens because the bounding boxes of the parts are interfering each other, simply open your files in the 3d design software of your choice, place as many items as you want in a 200x200mm square simulating the building plate, and save all together as a single STL file this way you can place any part as near as 3mm to other parts to avoid fusing parts toghether. I am using this method to nest parts in tight packs. It works even in 3 dimensional nesting, your only concern will be the use of support material.

I understand the workaround, but having software perform well is always preferable to workarounds. A smart slicer should handle arranging of parts on the platform intelligently; that’s the role of printer support software, not of design software.

[quote name=Julia Truchsess]I understand the workaround, but having software perform well is always preferable to workarounds. A smart slicer should handle arranging of parts on the platform intelligently; that’s the role of printer support software, not of design software.
[/quote]

Agreed, slicer should handle multiple pieces. And even possibility to select what to print first.

[quote name=smile]Agreed, slicer should handle multiple pieces. And even possibility to select what to print first.
[/quote]

It can handle multiple pieces, but the software puts a box around each piece and that box can’t touch another box. It’s not possible to choose what to print first though because everything on the plate has to print at the same time…

[quote name=The6uest][quote=smile]Agreed, slicer should handle multiple pieces. And even possibility to select what to print first.
[/quote]

It can handle multiple pieces, but the software puts a box around each piece and that box can’t touch another box. It’s not possible to choose what to print first though because everything on the plate has to print at the same time…
[/quote]

I think I read that in ultimaker you specify what to print and that means no rapid moves. The printer prints one piece then goes to antoher and another. Imagine if you print like 100 knobs it would be crazy if the printer printed all at once.

“I think I read that in ultimaker you specify what to print and that means no rapid moves. The printer prints one piece then goes to antoher and another. Imagine if you print like 100 knobs it would be crazy if the printer printed all at once.”

I may looking at it wrong, but if you had multiple pieces and wanted it to print 1 at a time, would it not have to leave a huge space in between them so nozzle, fan, and other low hanging parts would not hit one piece already printed when it started to print the next one. The nozzle would have to go back down to the perf board to start a new print so anything tall already printed would be hit by the moving parts. If the parts were tall enough that the axis movement rods would get in the way, I don’t see how it would be possible to print one at a time no matter how good the slicer calculated it.

Each piece has to be on the same layer while printing, so there would probably still be rapid moves while moving from one piece to another.

I agree. It would be a nightmare to print one part after the other. If you would print two high Eiffel towers next to each other the one tower would hit the x/y rods as soon as the platform goes up again to build the second one.

[quote name=smile][quote=The6uest][quote=smile]Agreed, slicer should handle multiple pieces. And even possibility to select what to print first.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think I read that in ultimaker you specify what to print and that means no rapid moves. The printer prints one piece then goes to antoher and another. Imagine if you print like 100 knobs it would be crazy if the printer printed all at once.
[/quote]

I THINK you read some strange informations, how Ultimaker print high objet ex. 18cm high and go print another one ? When I read some posts on UM forum, sometimes I think they are existed out of real life :wink: Better change your source information.

Cheers,

Mike

Forget about selecting print order, that is silly. I just want the slicer to be intelligent enough to understand the geometry of the parts and know when they truly interfere or not, so that I can arrange them efficiently on the bed. The Up software can do this; there is no reason the Zortrax software shouldn’t do it, because the Zortrax team is confident that their hardware and software will be the best in the business.