New M200, odd problem

I'd absolutely agree that it isn't the basics that's causing this, but I don't know if I'd jump straight to a hardware problem since it'd be a very strange problem for hardware to cause (not impossible though). Before the whole swap, it might be worth a couple minutes downgrading to a past firmware. If that solves the problem then the only issue is software. Maybe even try an older version of the software. 

Hi guys,

I really appreciate the advice, but these "basics" are all engrained in my behaviour from using other bots, I clean meticulously and that nozzle has been cleaned 3 times, with acetone, in less than the week I have had it. Today it has soaked for 6 hours, been cleaned and threaded with the supplied tools. Perfboard has been rubbed down fully with acetone as per maintenance guide.

I've got to be honest, apart from those strings, the prints are amazing, totally perfect, it just seems like a retraction issue when travelling from one island to another.

I'm used to first gen Printrbots that require 50mm of air extrusion before printing just to make sure they have even flow, so I'm more than used to managing a bit of ooze... the point of the Zortrax was to get a machine that could be relied on without too much tweaking,unfortunately no tweaking is addressing this issue.

I've been in touch with the reseller to try and arrange an exchange, I'm convinced this is mechanical problem, or failing that software, but I'm not going to stand by a piece of hardware that has had the same problem on pretty much every print that has separate vertical sections.

On top of that, it makes a really loud vibrating noise when the head moves from front left to rear left, I'm just not happy with the QC on this particular machine. I will request a replacement and hope that it doesn't have the same problems.

If anyone from Zortrax identifies a software issue, or z-code issue it'd be good to know.

Many thanks for all your advice guys,

Nick

Upload the STL of test print and I will try it on mine. Use the "more reply options" box in lower right corner.

I am having very similar problems WITH ALL MY PRINTS.. My printer used to be perfect.. this started happening since the last (not the present) software update (Z-Suite)... I changed my hot end and nozzle thinking that was the issue, I also replaced the bed, and made significant efforts to level it to 0.0~0.1 tolerances.... I get the same issues.

The problem is in the seems.. if I use random seams in the Z-Suite settings I see the strings in random places. If i Use normal seams I see the strings coming at the same place all over the Z-Axis.

I am guessing this might be a software issue.. 

I hope support has a good solution for this!.

This a part of my "test print collection" of marvin, all are printed with no support and the print is pretty always nice...

I think the issue come from your printer...

Looks likes the retraction is not done correctly, you should check that there is no friction on the path of the filament and check also if the filament drive pulley is clean and secure.

It’d be good to get a response (hardware, firmware or z-suite) but as it stands the machine is (was) less than a week old so I think I’ll be more comfortable swapping it out than messing around with pullies…

Anyone from support got any ideas?

Thanks!

Nick

Ask for a new machine, the reseller can fix the old! I think you have put enough time and effort into this! If the machine doesn't work, why should you be using your time fixing a machine within warranty? Cleaning the nozzle and such after less than a spool of material running through it seems to be over the top, mine has printed about 3-4000 hours and I have cleaned/changed the nozzle maybe 5, maximum 10 times. Good luck!

@dogboy,

We can confirm that there is a room for improvement with retraction, however it looks like there is some problem with your machine in this case, probably with temperature control. Please contact your reseller or support at zortrax.com/support .

Many thanks for the advice I suspected as much.

I have been in touch with them, and will arrange an exchange.

Nick

When you receive your replacement M200, could you let us know the final outcome?

Thanks,

Dennis

They were not very helpful... I returned the printer and bought from another supplier who was respectful. Unfortunately the second printer has an extruder problem!

I didn't receive any further replies from support yet

Argh... not having much luck, but third time is a charm...

Nick

Dogboy,  I do not own a M200 but i follow this forums daily, I own an Afinia/Up that is similar in many ways to the M200. I have been having the same burrs and strings all over my prints, I spent days on the web looking for a mechanical or software problem, and guess what?

it is high humidity!!!

It started happening to me right when the season changed... AC in the house stops turning on almost at all because it finds no temperature difference to adjust hence it does not circulate/filter/DRY the air any more. So the humidity creeps up and ALL your filament soaks up that moisture.

I bought some silica desiccant and weather proof containers to store my plastic. If I print with a "dry" roll it comes out just fine, but after a few hours it gets bad again... that's how fast the plastic will absorb humidity. I hope that it gets colder soon so the AC starts drying the air again in my house, if not I will have to buy a dehumidifier...

Mystery solved! 

RH in my print room is 40%, so I'm not sure, but I will try what you say, thanks for the advice!

Nick