Override pre-print bed check?

Is there a way to turn off the nozzle to bed check prior a print? Workaround?

2 Likes

Why would you want to do this??  That check it to ensure the height is perfect for printing. 

I'm guessing you have a worm-hole or two from the nozzle "pile driving" into the print bed? Having recently ruined a brand new print bed immediately after replacing it I can understand the desire for this. I'd like to see a good way to repair the print bed after this happens. Anything I put into the hole (solder etc) gets stuck to the next raft and is pulled out. PCB is too easily damaged......... IMHO. -db

1 Like

Is there a way to turn off the nozzle to bed check prior a print? Workaround?

==> it's called Z-Sense, the nozzle doesn't touch the bed prior to print start anymore + initial nozzle height is adjustable.

let me guess, wanna put glass on perforated plate?

1 Like

let me guess, wanna put glass on perforated plate?

Can it be done? slip a programmer some zÅ‚oty ;)

In the good ol' PLA on a Replicator 2 days...... I tried printing on glass with a layer of hairspray, plexi w/ painters tape and a machined aluminum bed. As far as I'm concerned the M200 bed is the best (and would be even better if it wasn't so easily damaged when the printhead fails to make good contact and either burrows a hole or starts printing sub-terrainian and really destroy's the top layer of the bed and the nozzle if you're not there to pull the plug).

I would kinda like to give some other beds a try, but its not enough of a burning desire to invest in a Z-Sense. 

Well, an aluminium bed of approximately the same height should do the trick.

Actually, given the possibility of adding an offset in ZCode and a pause command at the correct position, another option is to pause the print after the probing to add a glass sheet or whatever on top of the perfboard.

Of course all of this is a bit of a hack. Even if Zortrax released a non-perforated bed with metal contacts only at the corners and changed the firmware to not probe the middle (which IMHO would most probably worsen the results for most smallish centered prints), there would be the need for some offset adjustment to compensate for sheets or whatever on the bed. It's a tricky matter and most probably a mechanical switch of some kind is the only other cheap solution.

Note though that mechanical switches also tend to cause issues. E.g. if they can't be retracted, they tend to touch the print and if they can be retracted, that's just another thing that can go wrong.

Z-Sense avoids this by not probing at the nozzle but at the the Z axis stage. Of course this comes at the cost of not actually measuring the nozzle distance and losing the possibility to probe at different positions.

1 Like

Well I had different 3d printers meanwhile and I'm really impressed in how engineers are not able by 2017 to develop a print bed and calibration mechanism which is fail safe. 

First I thought the Zortrax system is great... but after a few weeks with an M300 and an M200 I have to say things could be much better and I'm really worried about the nozzle touching the bed with every print (one hotend already gone).

It would be so great to have a frame-base which is able to carry the perforated plate, or a flexplate, or a glasplate or my mother kitchen plate and a fail safe leveling- and setup distance between nozzle and bed mechanism. Really... somebody should be able. We have so many great sensor technologies. Perhaps something with infrared or ultrasonic, or laser probably? Please... how could we ever reach singularity as defined by Ray Kurzweil if we're not even able to engineer a decent 3D-printing bed ;)

I'm so afraid of the headcrashintobed I clean the nozzle bottom with a little knife before every print... but with Z-ULTRAT or Z-PETG there's always some filament coming out of the nozzle even without extrusion so the cleaning makes no sense (guess temperature is to high... will try with external-material and own temperature settings). I wonder about how it's possible to make contact between nozzle and bed with all those dirt and filament inbetween... guess the nozzle get's pressed into the bed pretty strong even if everything works as designed...

Hi Macrin. Please suggest if you could help us with this.

I think z-sense is the answer. replacing the perforated plate after every 700 hours is way to expensive.