Printer stops partway through print jobs

My Rev 2 M200 is stopping partway through print jobs at an increasingly frequent rate.  It will stop two minutes into the job on one attempt and then stop after 5 or 10 minutes on a second attempt.  When it stops, the print head goes up to the upper position, just as if the job completed normally.  I've also been having problems with the Zortrax SD card seating properly when the card is loaded.  So far repeatedly removing and re-inserting the card in the Zortrax reader will eventually get the M200 to read the zcode file.

Could the problem with print stopping be due to the print head flat cable going bad or could it be due to the flaky card/card reader?

Back in the V1 days this was a chronic problem and the fix was a completely new LCD/card reader module. Something to do with grounding.

Oddly enough, I've been having a few print stoppages myself - in my case the head stays in the middle, but the bed goes down. I believe it's a card/file issue because after re-writing the file it's worked OK on the next try.

Thanks Julia.  It's been a few weeks since I printed anything and the stuff for today are pretty simple.  The first one failed on the raft and on retry about 2/3rds through.  Since then no problems on two more prints.  The fails happened pretty much as you said but I wasn't really paying attention to the details.  The bed did go down, though, as though the job was finished.  Just wondered if I should order some cable and connectors but that's probably a good idea anyway.

Is there any way to know if my unit has the old LCD/card reader module? I got it off Amazon from Octave. It says hardware version 4.

I'm having this issue, but after rewriting the zcode to the SD card, it made a little more progress on the print but still stopped unfinished. I am now trying another print off a different SD card.

A V4 machine is almost certainly a recent vintage LCD module, but it's not inconceivable that the problem still exists on some new units. If using a different card doesn't fix it I'd contact the reseller.

I finished a 3rd attempt successfully. It would seem the included SD card was at fault.

I finished a 3rd attempt successfully. It would seem the included SD card was at fault.

Is there any way to know if my unit has the old LCD/card reader module? I got it off Amazon from Octave. It says hardware version 4.

I'm having this issue, but after rewriting the zcode to the SD card, it made a little more progress on the print but still stopped unfinished. I am now trying another print off a different SD card.

I know I had a similar issue when using the cheap SD card reader that came with my printer. It stopped working after about 5 months and would stop writing/reading the SD card about half way through a save. The file would still show up on the card and the printer would start printing but eventually stop like you described.

I eventually noticed the .zcode file was about half the size that it should have been.

I bought a new SD card reader on Amazon for like $5 and its been great ever since. Might want to try the same before taking more drastic steps in fixing the whole machine.

I had the same issue with an SD Card.  If is starts picking up issues like corruption, the print aborts.