Printing issue with top layers

I have submitted this to support but thought I should try here as well!

I just updated the firmware on my M200 so that may be the cause of it but I went to print out some parts today and the top surface seems to have issues bridging the gaps in the infill(set to medium). There are 4 identical parts being printed and all of them have varying degrees of the issue.

The attached picture is much better than me attempting to describe it any more :).

I have seen this issue before when printing with Z-ULTRAT but having the print profile set to ABS but I verified that it was set to Z-ULTRAT so that is not the issue this time around.

Any input would be great!

Thanks.

stl / zcode?

I've seen the same sort of bubbling on the top surface of my ABS parts.  It seems to be worse with extended use.  I'm guessing that it's either due to a problem with Z-Suite 1.40 or 1.41 or I have some sort of fan failure.  Z-Suite won't let me revert to an earlier version and I haven't had time to mess with the fan so there it sits.

I have submitted this to support but thought I should try here as well!

I just updated the firmware on my M200 so that may be the cause of it but I went to print out some parts today and the top surface seems to have issues bridging the gaps in the infill(set to medium). There are 4 identical parts being printed and all of them have varying degrees of the issue.

The attached picture is much better than me attempting to describe it any more :).

I have seen this issue before when printing with Z-ULTRAT but having the print profile set to ABS but I verified that it was set to Z-ULTRAT so that is not the issue this time around.

Thanks.

The effect is known as pillowing.  Here is some more information which may be of some help to you.  http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide#pillowing

Have a read and draw your own conclusions from it.

G.

Your printer seems to print too hot. Right now I experienced the same issues, think my ribbon cable is dying again.

Could be that the temp reading of the TC is not stable and causes overheats. I can read the actual temp range on my Z-Temp and know it was too high, you could measure from a test point on the controller.

If you changed something on your hotend lately, maybe the TC is not seated correct (just another probable cause).

I thought it was from the amount of layers in the zcode coupled with a heating issue.

I had this issue before but it went away after I did a calibration and reseated the hot end and tightened the screws on hot end. 

I can't say it was the calibration that fixed it but it was fixed somehow and haven't had an issue since.

I know this doesn't add any value to the convo...sorry and good luck.

Another idea: Set Fan to Auto if not set already (no other setting, not 100%).

Thank you all for your responses.

You pointed me in the direction of looking at the fan. I noticed a while ago it sounded like it was stuttering and I just went to turn the unit on and the fan is hardly moving at all. Every couple of seconds it looks like it is trying to turn and then  gives up.

If this fan is dead I am guessing that would cause the pillowing that I am seeing correct?

I will have to take it apart and see if it is the fan itself or its connection.

I will update when I find out more!

I set up a simple rectangle test print and it had the same issue. I noticed during the top layers I did not hear the fan spool up at all like it normally does.

I am guessing this could be causing the issue? As for why it is not spooling up I have no idea.

I also noticed on the top fan the insulation of the black wire had melted and was exposed. I cleaned it up and added some electrical tape.

Yes it could be the fan. Your object has a very thin surface directly above the raft and bed, this needs fan.

You can test the fan by printing the object another time, this time with fan at 100% (not auto).

That way you should hear the fan always from the first layer of your object.

How about Increasing SURFACE LAYERS settings, for example  TOP:6, BOTTOM:6.

You can do it in ADVANCED SETTINGS.

This settings solved my issue same as yours.

Or to use INFILL:FULL

This setting makes top surface flat.