Printing p l a

Now that we have temperature control and bed temperature control has anybody printed PLA and if so what temperatures are working for the pla so I do not have to start blind

I print PLA with my M200 for years and have no need to try the actual Z-Suite / Firmware combination just to find out if my models are still sliced / printed worse than the early version I use. Will wait to hear what other folks found out.  :ph34r:

What I expect with that new Z-Suite settings (wich are a great thing!) is, that you might fail to print PLA or get trouble releasing the raft (raftless still missing BTW).

This is because there is no option to offset the initial nozzle height wich is essential for many PLA (and other filaments) that tend to swell.

You could circumvent issues by using a metal shim (0.5mm) for the nozzle height sense at the start of a print or a Z-Sense.

Maybe the initial nozzle height is taken care by the External Materials profile in Z-Suite, but a fixed value will not work for much non Z-Filaments.

I have some models that require the strength of PLA, so I too would love to know who has successfully printed PLA with the new Software/Firmware combo.  What were your settings and what was the result?

G.

I have printed a few pieces with PLA over the past few days. A part of a RC spitfire wing and also the spool holder I made. Both Filagree Pro Silver PLA.

Z-Suite v1.10.0 - External materials - ExtruderTemp 220 - Platform Temp 50 - Fan80

However, I do have Z-Sense and I used a small offset for the raft. The raft came away from the plate very easily. In the case of the wing, it detached from the raft easily. The spool holder took a bit more force. The most difficult part was removing the support from the spool holder. I'm quite happy with how PLA printed however. I did have to raise the temp of the PLA a bit above what was suggested by the manufacturer for it to extrude smoothly. I tried another PLA filament I have and I got a lot of clicking, raising the temp did not seem to help.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Zortrax add PLA to the list of materials.

Good looking parts Evan! My only words of caution with PLA are don't leave the Spitfire (or any PLA printed product) in direct sunlight in an enclosed car as the Tg (Glass Transition) temp is low enough to deform. That's the main reason I went from MakerBot & PLA to Zortrax & Z-ABS........(that and of course quality, reliability and printer price). ;-)

Thanks David. Really do appreciate the advice on PLA. I tried printing the wing in Z-ABS and had the raft lift up of the plate. My friend also has a M200 and is very much into RC aircraft. He tried continuously with ABS but the wings would always warp or crack. He ended up getting a Prusa just for his RC aircraft. So... long story short, I wanted to get PLA to work on my printer as I really do like my M200 and have put off getting another printer just for PLA. Saying that, I'd prefer to print the wing in ABS, and have yet to try the juice, which will be my next test when I have the time. 

Try APPOLOX (ASA) : large parts without any defect, no warping !
Fantastic !
I hope that Zortrax give us this material with the Z-ABS colors !

setting : T ° 250 ; Bed: 90 °;
big parts :  FAN off 
small parts : auto fan or 20%
Fantastic !

Is that true of ASA in general axel, no warping?

This is the first time I use Appolox.
Large object (large box with thin walls and sharp corners) on the entire surface of the aluminum plate with a flat bottom : no deformation, no warping !
This is the first time I use Appolox.
Large object (large box with thin walls and sharp corners) on the entire surface of the aluminum plate with a flat bottom : no deformation, no warping !

Hmmm might give it a whirl 

Fantastic !

[url=http://www.formfutura.com/175mm-filaments/speciality/apollox/]is it this?[/url]

Yes : Apollox by Form Futura.

There are few colors and other manufacturers do not offer other colors. :huh:
If Zortrax could propose an ASA filament with many colors ... :ph34r:  ;)

Hi,

trying to print pla smartmaterial and it was impossible. The tries I made was are the following:

I started with 210 ºC, 50 º bed, and the gear slipped contiuosly.

Increase the temperature by 5ºC per try. a lot of tries until 265 ºC and still the gear slipped in every try.

Try the shim option, 0.5 mm shim, and still the same.

Also tryed to modify the retraction distance from 1 to 0.5 mm and still not working.

Only when I tryed to print the material with Z-ABS parameters the extrusion was good but too much hot caused the part to be like melted.

Any idea on how I am making bad? 

You can try to lower the feedrate. I think it is a feature in the beta software or thirdparty zcode modifiers.

Or and maybe a better choice, try a different brand of PLA

here is an old comment when I tried the PLA :

"I have printed PLA "ICE" and PLA "INNOFIL" with  "external materials"-> "Glass type filament" ; with the extrusion temp on 220 °. No other changes.

It prints wel l:

- The raft is perfectly removed from the bed (better than with ABS).

- The piece can be easily removed from the raft.

- The Zortrax M200 prints the vertical walls better than the Witbox : they are smoother.

- But the bottom of the printed pieces is not beautiful : it is rough."

Trying to use glass type filament with a extrsuion temp of 220 and dont get results. I ende up with a temp of 268 ºC and the extrusion was good but with some errors in the part.

I ask to the pla manufacturer and told me their plas simply dont work on zortrax but, as long as we can change parameters i dont understand why the material doesnt extrude well.

Trying to use glass type filament with a extrsuion temp of 220 and dont get results. I ende up with a temp of 268 ºC and the extrusion was good but with some errors in the part.

I ask to the pla manufacturer and told me their plas simply dont work on zortrax but, as long as we can change parameters i dont understand why the material doesnt extrude well.

It has to do with the design of the hot end.

A little hint Javi: Julia has developed a hotend for the M200 that does not have those issues, just have a look at z-temp.co