Prints are bent on z axis

So we are posting this here, maybe this way zortrax solves it.

We are resellers and recently a customer sent us pictures and the printer because parts were bent on z axis.

IMG-20160603-WA0001.jpg

First they asked to check with spirit level, maybe platform is bent, yes the whole platform bent out of nowhere...

Ok we did it.

IMAG6530.jpg

IMAG6531.jpg

We checked with different parts and it's definitely happening, after a few days we sent pictures and required information Zortrax replies:

Maybe it's just a warping issue.

Unbelievable!

See for yourself.

IMAG6492.jpg

IMAG6493.jpg

IMAG6494.jpg

Don't use the spirit level to level the platform, doesn't work that way

1. Clean underside of perforate plate

2. Autocalibrate the platform = platform now parallel to xy motion stage

3. Spirit level the platform and adjust tilt of the entire machine (not platform) =  platform parallel to xy stage AND platform+xy perpendicular to gravity

Note most platforms are slightly convex, which is normal.

Check the xy setscrews are tight (http://support.zortrax.com/xy-axes-maintenance/)

If it's do to warping, then side covers, lower or off fan speed, lower infill, different material. Globs on the print, not sure what's up with that.

In one of my other printers there is a calibration part that you are required to print and then you take measurements of the X or Y axis "drift and in the settings you enter the new values, this takes care of the stepper motors measurements, then as a part is built the stepper controllers are adjusted for the offset, this is a common practice for most all other printers on the market.

Image1.jpg

I’ve always thought it was bold of Zortrax to not include this step in their design, but it will catch them up when a stepper controller is “Micro stepping” and there will be a slight offset on one or more axis.

Your first pictures are either this stepping issue or a loose set screw on the gears allowing a small rotation, but the offset is too smooth, so it is the stepper controllers, if it was a loose screw on a belt it would slip once in a while not continuously.

But hey what do I know about this, not much!

:lol:

Had the same issue recently with warping... never had it since now. Fitted a new perforated replacement plate and the problem went away instantly and even the parts look better.

Any tips on removing the plastic from the holes without using acetone?

In one of my other printers there is a calibration part that you are required to print and then you take measurements of the X or Y axis "drift and in the settings you enter the new values, this takes care of the stepper motors measurements, then as a part is built the stepper controllers are adjusted for the offset, this is a common practice for most all other printers on the market.

attachicon.gifImage1.jpg

I’ve always thought it was bold of Zortrax to not include this step in their design, but it will catch them up when a stepper controller is “Micro stepping” and there will be a slight offset on one or more axis.

Your first pictures are either this stepping issue or a loose set screw on the gears allowing a small rotation, but the offset is too smooth, so it is the stepper controllers, if it was a loose screw on a belt it would slip once in a while not continuously.

But hey what do I know about this, not much!

:lol:

It's actually our conclusion, since we checked every bolt and even changed the y axis motor. An electronic fault mst be the source .

It's impossible this can be mechanical related.

I am no expert on this in any way but just my reasoning seems to lead to either firmware or a connection problem

So we are posting this here, maybe this way zortrax solves it.

We are resellers and recently a customer sent us pictures and the printer because parts were bent on z axis.

First they asked to check with spirit level, maybe platform is bent, yes the whole platform bent out of nowhere...

Ok we did it.

We checked with different parts and it's definitely happening, after a few days we sent pictures and required information Zortrax replies:

Maybe it's just a warping issue.

Unbelievable!

See for yourself.

Believe me, I've seen a lot crooked platforms or simply physically bent Heatbeds (not perforated plates!) Heatbeds could have factory defect but bent platform is usually caused by inappropriate usage (User is trying to lower platform by hand, pushing it using hand and instead doing that as close to Z screw as possible, he pushes at the front)

If [url=http://support.zortrax.com/eliminating-axis-problems/]Eliminating Axis problems manual[/url] wont help, my bet would be to check platform / heatbed. 

I've had this happen once recently, and it was a messed up file.

Just re slice and reload the same file on a different SD card and see what happens

I have exactly the same problems with my prints.

I changed the perforated plate, do cleaning and a auto calibration but my prints are still bend on the Z axis.

My parts are usually 80x80 mm. The bend is not so much but you can see it.

@Marcin Do you have an actual link?! The link you posted dont work.

Any other tips or tricks?