Pure white is not white enough

Hi,

I have been printing with “pure white”, but the color is not so white as I would expect. specially on thinner parts.

I have the oppertunity to start delivering parts to a company (36 to start with, way more later on).

They do like the quality of the prints, but they have complained about the difference in color: the white is not white enough.

Here a zoomed in picture of the color difference with a real white color.

Any suggestions? Does zortrax have an even more white? or is this just impossible using ABS?

I am willing to experiment with other suppliers if needed as I do not want to loose this customer.

Regards, Rob

Currently colour is a natural uncoloured, and thinner details can be a little transparent due of it.

If you can provide full picture of this part (can be at PM) I can look at this.

If they can accept some dark colour as black or orange then thin parts will always looks solid.

Best Regards

Martin

Hi Martin,

Just pm-ed you the bigger picture. (sorry I am not allowed to show this on this forum yet)

To add: another color than white is not possible as the device with the printed part is in sight and needs to be as unremarkable as possible.

It will be used in a hospital like environment.

Blue void :

ABS is not known for being the whitest material… It is naturally whit-ish, but injection, extrusion, thickness, shape and all easily affect the esthetic of the color. I guess you could try another reference of ABS filament but even then I’m not sure you would get the white you want. At least, you can try pigment-colored ABS filament from another brand.

What do they think about painting of it ? Acrylic or water based cheap paint give possibility to fit colour into any Pantone number.

Here is example:

http://zortrax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23

Might spraypainting them be an option? It is timeconsuming and cumbersome to do on all those seperate parts.

I am actually competing with Shapeways here, which (by the nature of their printing process) has a whiter white. The advantage I have over Shapeways is the speed of delivery.

If you order from Shapeways you get an email after almost two weeks: “Yes, we started printing your order”. So that is not difficult to beat :).

I found a white white here: http://www.makergeeks.com/absbrwhco11s.html

But the print tempearture is too low: 210-220 C, need some extra options in the firmware :).

We currently prepare new batch of filament if is strong need for white as strong white (min. 25kg) then we can do it.

But you can do experiment with paint, just put part for few seconds in paint.

Best Regards

Ah, just dip it and let it dry. I will give that a try.

If you have a white white I would order it immediatly, anybody else?

[quote name=Martin Olchanowski]We currently prepare new batch of filament if is strong need for white as strong white (min. 25kg) then we can do it.

But you can do experiment with paint, just put part for few seconds in paint.

Best Regards
[/quote]

@Martin - I would like some very white material as well. I would extend my order with 3-5 kg if you get the opportunity.

I too noticed the white I received wasn’t as white as the Zombie Hunter Head that came with my printer. It is white enough for me but it is a little different shade.

[quote name=The6uest]I too noticed the white I received wasn’t as white as the Zombie Hunter Head that came with my printer. It is white enough for me but it is a little different shade.
[/quote]

It is exactly same material :slight_smile: Just Zombie Head is very ‘solid’.

Bluevoid looking for material of colour as for example white used in kitchen equipment.

Best Regards

Oh, that must be it then! I haven’t printed anything solid white yet.

If you provide a real white Z-ABS, I would take 5 kgs, Martin. Minimum.

[quote name=bluevoid]Hi Martin,

Just pm-ed you the bigger picture. (sorry I am not allowed to show this on this forum yet)

To add: another color than white is not possible as the device with the printed part is in sight and needs to be as unremarkable as possible.

[/quote]

You can use Up! (Delta Micro / Afinia) official OEM filament. It uses 260C extrusion temp and in white color it is “frosty”, i.e. very white, which I think is what you are looking for. I have tried it on the Zortrax and it works well.

Julia

[quote name=JuliaTruchsess][quote=bluevoid]Hi Martin,

[/quote]

You can use Up! (Delta Micro / Afinia) official OEM filament. It uses 260C extrusion temp and in white color it is “frosty”, i.e. very white, which I think is what you are looking for. I have tried it on the Zortrax and it works well.

Julia
[/quote]

Julia the problem is that it is same colour as Z-ABS :wink:

bluevoid need is something like a the cheapest Chinese ABS white - no frosty, no transparency, something to fit a colour of power outlet I saw this kind of white colour in el cheapo filament which I tested once.

Best Regards

I have them side-by-side here and the Up white is noticeably “whiter” than Z-ABS, or put another way, Z is more yellow than Up. I have some other 3rd-party “natural” un-colored ABS and it is similar in color to Z-ABS, but the Up filament is much whiter; I don’t know if it has color added or not.

[quote name=JuliaTruchsess]I have them side-by-side here and the Up white is noticeably “whiter” than Z-ABS, or put another way, Z is more yellow than Up. I have some other 3rd-party “natural” un-colored ABS and it is similar in color to Z-ABS, but the Up filament is much whiter; I don’t know if it has color added or not.
[/quote]

Interesting… good to know before second batch is manufactured.

Next batch of ABS will be coloured at strong white :slight_smile: So starting from next week white filament will coming with strong white colour.

Speaking of strong colors, I think the green I received was the weird ‘light’ green instead of the darker ‘android’ green. :slight_smile: