Raft Removal

The last two objects printed on the M200  were very difficult to remove from the raft. The raft came off the platform easily but it didn't want to release the printed object without a fight. Does the size and/or shape of the object mitigate the removal ease? The last items were small (2" x 1" and 1.5" x 1.5"), printed with Z-ABS. I have the Z-Temp controller and have it set to 0 degrees. 

Guy

The last two objects printed on the M200  were very difficult to remove from the raft. The raft came off the platform easily but it didn't want to release the printed object without a fight. Does the size and/or shape of the object mitigate the removal ease? The last items were small (2" x 1" and 1.5" x 1.5"), printed with Z-ABS. I have the Z-Temp controller and have it set to 0 degrees. 

A Z-Temp with zero offset has obviiously no influence, better explain what filament you used and show a pic of the model.

Yes, shape and size have influence, fan speed and filament material / slicing profile (temps) too.

Small flat objects are usually harder to remove from the raft, some Z-Filaments are reported having a not so easy raft removal too (you can find such posts in the forum here).

Objects with round bottoms are sometimes difficult for me to remove, especially if they are less than about 25 mm diameter.  Julia has talked about the need for finding the sweet spot for raft removal and it took me a while to figure out what she was talking about.  If you work your way around the periphery of the base with the spatula (flat side toward the raft) probing with the spatula as you go you will usually find a spot where the print will start to separate pretty easily from the raft.  Usually it's all downhill after that.

Many thanks to Z-Renegrade and MichaellHenry for your help.

I am using Cool Grey Zortrax ABS filament. The object is .75" x 2.5". It was printed at .39 resolution as it is just a test piece. Attached is a pic of it.

Guy

PS: The item separated from the raft more easily today. Maybe the printer was having a bad day yesterday.

Make yourself one of these:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:131301

Raft and support removal is much, much easier - it's amazing.

And as Michael says, don't give up - find the sweet spot and it will almost always just pop off, unless it's really welded, which is unusual.

I am waiting for Drew to say something.  :P  :lol:  :lol:

I am waiting for Drew to say something.  :P  :lol:  :lol:

I am not Drew, but could also tell: Wear gloves!  :lol:

And look at this: http://forum.zortrax.com/index.php?/topic/1808-fan-grills/?p=22601