Reason not to use Support Lite?

Is there any reason why one would not want to use Support Lite?

It seems like it has many benefits with little downsides (less materials, fast print time, easier to remove, etc). Is there a problem with always using Support Lite?

I just got my printer last week, so I have only tried one print with support lite... it failed. When looking at the z-code it looks like the program is just being buggy and not showing layers that it'll actually print, but that's how it's actually going to print. It pretty much printed without any support whatsoever. It's pretty simple to check though- generate the zcode and look for where it will print the support (white). If the support doesn't show up (besides maybe some raft) then your print will probably fail.   

From what I’ve seen about it thats only in this latest edition, so maybe they’ll fix it in the next?

Hi, Ive had recently a failed print. The support lifted off from the raft. I think that would not happen if I’ve had chosen the regular support and not lite.

If you need tall thin support structures I would not use lite. Just look at code generated to get an idea.

All I have used since purchasing three M200s late last year is "Support Lite" and I've been through 58 rolls of Black Z-ABS w/o support issues. Now Kyle has me wondering…… guess I'll be doing some testing w/ & w/o Support Lite. ;-)

FYI my M200s are enclosed.

All I have used since purchasing three M200s late last year is "Support Lite" and I've been through 58 rolls of Black Z-ABS w/o support issues. 

Wow, that's a lot of printing!  I got my printer late 2013 and haven't used 1/3 as much filament as you.  How is support and raft removal for you with black ZABS?  What layer height do you normally use?

Sorry if I'm going OT... 

All I have used since purchasing three M200s late last year is "Support Lite" and I've been through 58 rolls of Black Z-ABS w/o support issues. Now Kyle has me wondering…… guess I'll be doing some testing w/ & w/o Support Lite. ;-)

FYI my M200s are enclosed.

If you've had no problems with it David, run with it.

I haven’t found a down side yet for the light support

Wow, that's a lot of printing!  I got my printer late 2013 and haven't used 1/3 as much filament as you.  How is support and raft removal for you with black ZABS?  What layer height do you normally use?

Sorry if I'm going OT... 

Time is money for me so I'm printing everything at .29, high speed, full and lite support and I don't generally have an issue removing support material with black Z-ABS. That being said, I'm not removing support material by hand…. I use the following assortment of tools to rapidly clean up my parts (does not require the keyboard but does require the cup of coffee).  I try to keep all three M200s running 5 days a week/ 20 hours a day.

I have some of those tools but even with tools it can be really difficult to remove.  I am thinking it is an older or bad spool with slightly different properties making it stick more because I don't have that problem with other colors.  I typically print in .19 or .14 though for better appearance since I'm not printing high quantities of anything.

Octave has a pretty good tool set I was looking at getting: http://www.octave.com/p1173433162/Octave-3D-Printer-Tool-Kit-A/product_info.html

Has anybody done successful support lite printing with the newest software version? Every time I try it just shows a tiny one-layer raft in mid-air below what's being supported.

Time is money for me so I'm printing everything at .29, high speed, full and lite support and I don't generally have an issue removing support material with black Z-ABS. That being said, I'm not removing support material by hand…. I use the following assortment of tools to rapidly clean up my parts (does not require the keyboard but does require the cup of coffee).  I try to keep all three M200s running 5 days a week/ 20 hours a day.

Wow, that's a lot of printing! If you don't mind me asking, what is it that you're printing so much of? 

Has anybody done successful support lite printing with the newest software version? Every time I try it just shows a tiny one-layer raft in mid-air below what's being supported.

That's just a visual thing.. It will print fine. It just doesn't render the support for some reason.

That's just a visual thing.. It will print fine. It just doesn't render the support for some reason.

I tried it once but the model failed (but worked with normal support), but I guess that could have been from other factors. I guess I'll have to try it again.

Yeah, that must have been something else because I have no problem either with the lite support on the latest software.

Printer is 90% of the way through printing the t-rex shower head off of thingiverse with support lite, so I'm going to have to say that it's working just fine. Thanks for the advice!

Octave has a pretty good tool set I was looking at getting: http://www.octave.com/p1173433162/Octave-3D-Printer-Tool-Kit-A/product_info.html

These are the old school carving tools rebranded.

Like these http://www.amazon.com/Graver-Carving-Knives-Woodcut-Tools/dp/B00SME4U4I/ref=sr_1_3?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1423342139&sr=1-3&keywords=Woodcut+carving+tools

Wow, that's a lot of printing! If you don't mind me asking, what is it that you're printing so much of? 

LabRat - I'm using all of the Black Z-ABS on a series of patent-pending Competitive Shooting support products that I sell on eBay and Amazon. Additionally I offer a variety of other 3D printed products such as Rimless Aquarium Clips and Dental Equipment replacement handles and instrument holsters and Dental device prototyping.