Ruined Heating Block

yes the top fan is running the bottom isn't. Only way I could tell was to feed a small wire into it as it printed and nothing because I figured you cant really feel the air coming out on the print cause I tried. lol

So did you have that print set with 100% fan in Z-suite?

So did you have that print set with 100% fan in Z-suite?

Yes. I did a test print with 100% fan and nothing.

Its confirmed. Two different zcodes with 100% fan and nothing. To be sure I took the directional cover off and confirmed it is not working.

I tested the connector prongs and 1.8 is what I got with a multi meter so its getting power. Just have to test the fan by adding power to it.

Well that just bites. Those wires look like a pain to feed up through the block there when replacing it. Grrr! 

I emailed support to see about it.

Did you tighten the little set screws that hold the heater cartridge and the temp sensor in? Maybe you run hotter because the temp sensor has no good contact to the block? Or it’s all simply because your lower fan is dead…if I print small stuff with the lower fan off it all looks melted, too.

1.8V is not enough for the fan…

I just lost and replaced the lower fan. The extruder fan is ok.

I bought here (Brazil) a regular 40x40x10mm 12v fan. .

At local eBay, from a reprap parts supplier.

Worked.

The fan is rated at 0.08A  

I'm kinda a dunce when it comes to my multi meter. lol I got good reading when using in the car but I put on 200 acv and it gave a reading of 1.8  when it was printing so I am guessing that it was getting power so thats how I figure its the fan is blown. 

I have found a decent fan on Amazon but a month in shipping. They have fans that are 0.1A and 1.8A rated but I don't know if that needs more power to run than the printer will give. I was gonna upgrade since it has to be replaced but the higher quality fans are all rated differently for A but not by much.

And I just swapped out the fan wires. Bottom one is out and top works fine. 

found 3d fans with the 0.08A for cheap but can it be replaced with a 1.0A fan?

Thanks 

The fan needs to be 12VDC. Don't worry about the current (A) rating.

Thanks Julia. I went ahead and ordered 2 fans on Amazon for less than 10 bucks. Same exact specs as I have. no sense messing with a good thing. haha

I do appreciate all the help. Great community! Cheers

Got my hotend today. Awesome! Great ship time. I was wrong, and that was quick shipping. Thanks. Now I have an extra hot end. 

Now I have the fans installed and its back to printing. Only problem is I printed a piece in Yellow and it came out crappy. Almost like its melting too much plus the curves are coming out awful and ragged.

I switched to Black filament and the print was perfect. Same zcode as I was doing in the yellow. 

Has anyone had any issues with the yellow filament?? 

i've used the Yellow filament for 1 print - it worked just fine.

IMG_4229.jpg  IMG_4228.jpg

I am going to try another test print tomorrow but this is what I got. And this was after I had everything set up and fixed. Only thing I can figure is a defect in the filament,