Scale (size) in Z-Suite

Hi,

When I export my object to be printed from Inventor (stl file) and import into Z-suite it appears its smaller in size when I load it in. So I change the parameters in the “scale object” which is X, Y, Z and that makes perfect since but what is the “All” part of the resize?

Any help appreciated. :slight_smile:

X,Y,Z scales the object in the X,Y, or Z direction but ‘All’ scales the object in all directions at once. If you want to scale X,Y, and Z by the same amount, you should just use ‘All’.

@Belfast

Looks quiet impossible that Z-Suite have anything with this, maybe you export your file in inches instead of mm or Inventor have something with this.

You can send this .stl file to support@zortrax.com with original sizes description then we can check this.

Best Regards

It is settings in Inventor that is the problem. Read this link. http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/3d-print-in-the-stl-format-is-10x-smaller-than-the-3d-model-tip7567

ok, great ! Thanks,

Another small idea to implement when you have time :

When there is a link in a post, when we click on the link, it should open in a new tab in the internet explorer. It would be more convenient.

[quote name=pilou74]Another small idea to implement when you have time :

When there is a link in a post, when we click on the link, it should open in a new tab in the internet explorer. It would be more convenient.
[/quote]

thanks for the idea, I’ll do it on Monday! We still have some work on forum script, and feedback from users is welcome.

[quote name=Trhuster]It is settings in Inventor that is the problem. Read this link. http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/3d-print-in-the-stl-format-is-10x-smaller-than-the-3d-model-tip7567
[/quote]

Thank you very much, I thought I was going crazy!!! :lol:

Just a suggestion…maybe there could be a fixed ruler in the 3 axis dimensions so when you scale you can “see” the size you’re getting rather than just estimating an increase or decrease of a %. For example, you place your cursor on a point on the object that you’re scaling and a red line would appear on the rulers for that position in space so you could see the actual size in inches or metric ( a conversion button on the screen would be great). The base of the object would always be at zero and you could just rotate the object for height, width and depth.

I agree with lewi, knowing the sizes of our models would be interesting, specially for stl downloaded from internet. May be just written on the blue edges of the model ?

And may be a resizing tools where you can set a X or Y or Z size in mm/inches ?

The squares on the base in Zsuite are 10mm across so that is one way to estimate the size for now.

I have an issue with measurements. I printed a cube that measures 10mm-10mm-10mm on Blender. I saved as stl and put into Zsuite and printed but the size I got with the printer was 9.82mm-9.78mm-10.22mm The 10.22 was the Z axis.

Is this a calibration issue or the margin of error expected with beta?

Thanks

Which resolution did you use? I noticed that 0.14 is not very accurate yet, but Martin said they are working on it.

I sued the standard 0.19 with the solid fill and 20% fan. And since the calibration check doesn’t work thats why I was wondering if it was that. But my other prints come out great its just the cube size is off. I hadn’t checked any others, just the cube because I am trying to get the measurement scale right in Blender so i know how it exports and I can adjust accordingly to make precise prints.

I know there will always be a certain variation to the size but not that much of a variance.

[quote name=HeavenlyCreation]I have an issue with measurements. I printed a cube that measures 10mm-10mm-10mm on Blender. I saved as stl and put into Zsuite and printed but the size I got with the printer was 9.82mm-9.78mm-10.22mm The 10.22 was the Z axis.

Thanks
[/quote]

Material shrinkage, you can see for example with cooling at 80-100% then size will be nearly perfect.

Also always you have to wait until model is fully cooled before is removed from the platform.

In 0.0.6 software release will exist math for take in count material shrinkage to help keep original size (we have done code for it but no time for setup parameters for it).

Theoretically you should always count that 0.1-0.2mm is accuracy of your printed parts. I think Kyle or someone here who tinkering with CNC can explain more about how hard is using even the best tools to manufacture something with accuracy as 0.01mm :slight_smile: Same with 3D printer it should be around 0.1mm accuracy as perfect one but 0.01-0.05mm working the best only on the paper.

Best Regards

Martin

[quote name=Martin Olchanowski][quote=HeavenlyCreation]I have an issue with measurements. I printed a cube that measures 10mm-10mm-10mm on Blender. I saved as stl and put into Zsuite and printed but the size I got with the printer was 9.82mm-9.78mm-10.22mm The 10.22 was the Z axis.

Thanks
[/quote]

Material shrinkage, you can see for example with cooling at 80-100% then size will be nearly perfect.

Also always you have to wait until model is fully cooled before is removed from the platform.

In 0.0.6 software release will exist math for take in count material shrinkage to help keep original size (we have done code for it but no time for setup parameters for it).

Theoretically you should always count that 0.1-0.2mm is accuracy of your printed parts. I think Kyle or someone here who tinkering with CNC can explain more about how hard is using even the best tools to manufacture something with accuracy as 0.01mm :slight_smile: Same with 3D printer it should be around 0.1mm accuracy as perfect one but 0.01-0.05mm working the best only on the paper.

Best Regards

Martin
[/quote]
I’m still trying to figure it all out Martin. CNC is easier for mechanical parts. You are already dealing with a solid and removing material. 3D printing is like squirting a wet noodle on a piece of paper and expecting perfection. As the noodle dries, it shrinks. I think the results are great so far. I can get more accurate results from my CNC mill but there is NO way I can machine what I have been printing. If you injection mold something you need to make the mold larger to compensate for the material shrinkage. Nothing is perfect. You must make adjustments. That’s what people do. Adjust!! Love this printer!!

[quote name=Kyle] If you injection mold something you need to make the mold larger to compensate for the material shrinkage. Nothing is perfect. You must make adjustments. That’s what people do. Adjust!! Love this printer!!
[/quote]

Exactly! 3D printer is just like a overclocked injection molding, because it give ability to doing some stupid things which are unforgiven with molding and will result in many defects and warpings - but still many rules of injection molding have to be taken in count I think we should prepare in future tutorial of design for 3D printing based on few modified rules of mold design.

Best Regards

[quote name=Martin Olchanowski][quote=Kyle] If you injection mold something you need to make the mold larger to compensate for the material shrinkage. Nothing is perfect. You must make adjustments. That’s what people do. Adjust!! Love this printer!!
[/quote]

Exactly! 3D printer is just like a overclocked injection molding, because it give ability to doing some stupid things which are unforgiven with molding and will result in many defects and warpings - but still many rules of injection molding have to be taken in count I think we should prepare in future tutorial of design for 3D printing based on few modified rules of mold design.

Best Regards
[/quote]

Martin, it would be great if Zortrax could produce a document like that, especially one oriented toward the M200 printer. Might be best to get some of the promised software and firmware fixes out of the way first, though.

Mike

LOL yeah definitely get those updates out of the way first.

I’m only waiting on one maybe two.

The Polycarbonate update and the wifi second. lol