Shell zcode problems

Hello.

I believe there is a bug in zcode generation, while shell infill option is chosen.

In the attached image there are two different situations:

1. Basket on the left has thinckness.

This makes "WALL THICKNESS" (1, 2, or 3) shell setting not working, and irrelevant.

2. On the right there is a basket surface without thickness.

"WALL THICKNESS" (1, 2, or 3) shell setting works fine in that case.

This would be a perfect solution, but, there is some "roof" lines generated, which shouldn't be here.

Is there any way for the second solution to generate clean gcode without redundant lines?

P.s. find the model attached.

Hello.

1. Basket on the left has thinckness.

This makes "WALL THICKNESS" (1, 2, or 3) shell setting not working, and irrelevant.

2. On the right there is a basket surface without thickness.

"WALL THICKNESS" (1, 2, or 3) shell setting works fine in that case.

This would be a perfect solution, but, there is some "roof" lines generated, which shouldn't be here.

1.  Wall thickness = number of perimeters to place inside the part, if there is room.  So if you had a 100mm wall and you set wall thickness = 2, then you will get 2 perimeters. However, sections of the part that are less than ~0.8mm (diameter of nozzle is 0.4mm), then there isn't room to to fit 2 or more perimeters in that area, so you'd get 1 perimeter (like the case you show)

2. Pretty sure internal repair operation by Z-suite. Z-suite expects the stl to be manifold while the surface you show is non-manifold, therefore z-suite repairs it by capping the ends to make a water tight volume. If you set z-suite to infill mode, you can see more clearly.

Thanks for your reply. That's not a solution thought.

1.  Wall thickness = number of perimeters to place inside the part, if there is room.  So if you had a 100mm wall and you set wall thickness = 2, then you will get 2 perimeters. However, sections of the part that are less than ~0.8mm (diameter of nozzle is 0.4mm), then there isn't room to to fit 2 or more perimeters in that area, so you'd get 1 perimeter (like the case you show)

Yea, I know that. Its pretty obvious :)

2. Pretty sure internal repair operation by Z-suite. Z-suite expects the stl to be manifold while the surface you show is non-manifold, therefore z-suite repairs it by capping the ends to make a water tight volume. If you set z-suite to infill mode, you can see more clearly.

Wouldn't it be logical for the SHELL to not "repair" the mesh then?

At the moment its impossible to print that model with thickness of 3 perimeters.

Model is faulty, edges are not closed.

b4e98dcd6d4946d68042657113a92c70.png

When trying to repair it using NetFabb (closing holes), it ends up like that:

2f840556c79b457f9e301cdd106cc716.png

ZSUITE detects same:

ff1e5fa9376d4903b8338d61f947006f.png

You didn't have to check if its open. I wrote about in the first post. 

I think you guys are not getting my point.

Why model even needs to be closed for the SHELL generation?

At the current state of algorithm there is no way to print that shape with SHELL option with wall thickness = 3.

You need change the surface model to a volume model so the shell wall contours ("wall thickness") has somewhere to fill into. Right now it's an infinitely thin plane, something that can't exist physically, so z-suite repairs it.

Are you all bots, guys? Why you keep explaining me something I clearly know from the beginning?

Current implementation of SHELL is senseless.

You shouldn't be forced to have mesh with horizontal surfaces if those surfaces won't be present in the zcode generated.

Let's stop being theoretical.

I gave you the model. Go ahead, try and modify it so you get a clean zcode with "wall thickness" of 3.

Are you all bots, guys? Why you keep explaining me something I clearly know from the beginning?

Current implementation of SHELL is senseless.

You shouldn't be forced to have mesh with horizontal surfaces if those surfaces won't be present in the zcode generated.

Let's stop being theoretical.

I gave you the model. Go ahead, try and modify it so you get a clean zcode with "wall thickness" of 3.

BasketCase1.JPG

BasketCase2.JPG

The Bot knows all!!!

I thin Facebook/Google et al need to start employing Zortax forum bot, some top quality botting going on here. 

The Bot knows all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently. But are hard to talk to and not willing to share their knowledge.

The harder thing is to explain why impossible things do not work to a guy that claims to know it's impossible but insists to get it done that way.

Yea. Very useful forum you've got here! No wonder few people use it.

The harder thing is to explain why impossible things do not work to a guy that claims to know it's impossible but insists to get it done that way.

Its not impossible. Its just poorly programmed. Give people zcode api and i'll fix it real quick.

Deshu - 

I'm not sure which slicer you are using which deals with shells by allowing you to print them with thickness. This really is not the job of the slicer but it could well be a feature of some other slicer you have used.

If you want thickness in an object then you have to give it thickness. This is easily doable in nearly any solid modelling software, you just need to make it 3x the thickness of minimum wall thickness which is 0.5mm.

After importing into Z-Suite you can see if it has given you the correct amount of walls. It really isn't up to the programmers of Zortrax to implement features that are so readily and easily available in every solid modelling software. 

I've not given up on this forum and still use my "M200 Pro" weekly.

I have never seen a direct message to me from you and I check the forum almost daily, so what pearls of wisdom do you seek from me because so far you have not asked.