Shifted layers on large prints M300 Dual

Hi,

I’ve had success printing small parts but I recently printed a big model and this is the result:

!
There are 3 points at which the printer started a new layer in a wrong position and then continued printing in this offset position for some time. The printer had been calibrated a couple of dozen hours prior to this print. Material used was Z-PLA, the print was completely created from one spool over the weekend.

I would greatly appreciate suggested solutions to this issue since I’m lost as to why this could be happening.

Hi @Tommar,

I would recommend to start with the axes maintenance. Most of all - lubricate the rods (with silicone oil) and check if the belts (both long and short ones) are tense.

Also, is the firmware version up-to-date (2.5.9)?

Best regards,
Karolina

Hi!
Thanks for your reply!
For some reason this issue did not repeat after that print. We’re now calibrating the platform before each big print and we’re going to proceed with maintenance when we have some spare time. Fixed untill next occurence :wink:

Hi Tommar,

you are welcome. I am glad to hear the problem has not occurred again. However, if you come across it again - please, remember to carry out the axes maintenance, this should do the trick as well :slight_smile:

Hi again.

We’re having the same trouble again. Truth be told, we’ve had it all the time with bigger prints.

It occurs only with prints that take several hours to be made, never with models that print below 3h. It doesn’t matter whether the model is tall and slim or short and bulky. A slip of a couple of mm occurs at random interval.

We tried to calibrate the XY axis before each print and it still is not of much help. We have lubricated all the axis, checked belt tension and nothing really helps.

Is there any other reason this might be happening?

Hi @Tommar,

have you checked whether the rails with printable jigs? If not - please, follow the step 1, you will find necessary files there. Install the jigs and check if there is even 1-2 mm difference. If yes - try to align the axes, you can also refer to this manual.

Hi. We tried that just now after full disassembly and reassembly.

We started encountering another issue. X/Y optical sensor failures while calibrating the axes. When we run into it we’ve tried once again to move the extruder by hand and decided it resists the movement too well. We disassembled the printer, removed the lubricant provided in the kit, cleaned everything thoroughly and applied thinner silicone oil. We also found out some setting screws were too tight and were causing too much friction on the bushing-rail coupling. Now it moves much better. However we can’t complete the X-Y axes calibration since every time either of the end-stop sensors fails and extruder collides with the case. So now…how can we check whether those sensors are both faulty or something else is on the table? Is the small piece of metal attatched to the rail guides supposed to end up right in the middle between sensors or closer to upper or lower part of the sensor?

Honestly, this printer causes so much trouble…Also, before I start looking for the documents, how long is the warranty period?

Hi,

1. Yes, the metal strip should fit between the upper and the lower part of the sensor.
  2. If the extruder apporaches the corners and hits the frame anyway - it means the endstop is not working at all. Please check if the cables of endstops are in place. Also, check if they’re dirty.
  3. The warranty period is 12 months. Please contact us through Support Form:
    https://support.zortrax.com/support-form/

If the printer is in warranty, we’ll get you the spares.

1. Do the layers shift only in one axis direction? If so, please swap the motors and check if the problem is transferred onto the other axis.

I’m looking forward to your reply :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Marcin

1. It fits
  2. It sometimes hits the frame, sometimes it does not. It appears it hits the frame every time we start X/Y axes calibration and only sometimes when we load new material.

We’ve started using different lubrication and so far there are no layer shifts and the extruder moves easier on rails, we’ll see how it goes after several prints.

It’s out of warranty, it’s sad this printer causes so many troubles.

It really sucks optical sensors are unavailable in the store…

Hi @Tommar,

please, contact us via Support Form as suggested. We will verify the root of the problem, as well as check availability of optical endstops. Also, you can contact one of our Resellers and ask for the parts - they might still have them in stock.

We are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the device. Please remember that we can collect the device for a repair, perform the whole maintenance and ensure the printer is fully operational before sending it back to you.

Best regards
Karolina